Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The window can open, but no one's standing on either side talking..and the pie is still waiting to come out of the oven...

I agree.  All the evidence we have suggests Cousins and the Vikings haven't been discussing a deal. 

It appears to me that whatever Cousins will agree to will be based off of the market rate for his services.  There have been suggestions that since Cousins has already made so much money, he might be willing to settle for less to stay with the Vikings. That may be true, but rather than deciding he can live with a certain amount, say $40MM per year, and signing as long as the Vikings meet his mark it appears that Cousins will determine his amount based on the market and decide how much less than the market (if any at all) he would be willing to take to not have to move.

In other words, for the Vikings to keep Cousins they'll likely have to pay very close to market rate if not market rate to sign Cousins.  It will be interesting to see what the market is for Cousins. There is a very real chance that he'll be signing with another team and the Vikings will be looking at other QB options.

• Like 2

I liken it to how Congress works...there is a certain deadline where they have to get a deal together to either kick the can down the road or the govt shuts down.  Both sides aren't going to really begin talking until the deadline comes closer.  They'll say whatever they want to say in cliche form to the media in the meantime, but really nothing substantively is happening at this time, because there's no rush or impetus to do so.  Because of the typical experience of both sides, deals can be struck in a short timeframe, so why rush it, if there's no need? 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I agree.  All the evidence we have suggests Cousins and the Vikings haven't been discussing a deal. 

It appears to me that whatever Cousins will agree to will be based off of the market rate for his services.  There have been suggestions that since Cousins has already made so much money, he might be willing to settle for less to stay with the Vikings. That may be true, but rather than deciding he can live with a certain amount, say $40MM per year, and signing as long as the Vikings meet his mark it appears that Cousins will determine his amount based on the market and decide how much less than the market (if any at all) he would be willing to take to not have to move.

In other words, for the Vikings to keep Cousins they'll likely have to pay very close to market rate if not market rate to sign Cousins.  It will be interesting to see what the market is for Cousins. There is a very real chance that he'll be signing with another team and the Vikings will be looking at other QB options.

Agreed, unlike someone like Brees who signed his extension Super Bowl weekend. He didn’t need to get all the offers from other teams to determine what the amount was to are to. Could also be that based on how the last round of extension talks with with Vikings, he may internally believe Vikings might not come up to the number other teams might. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Both sides aren't going to really begin talking until the deadline comes closer.  They'll say whatever they want to say in cliche form to the media in the meantime, but really nothing substantively is happening at this time, because there's no rush or impetus to do so.  Because of the typical experience of both sides, deals can be struck in a short timeframe, so why rush it, if there's no need? 

bingo was his name-o.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Agreed, unlike someone like Brees who signed his extension Super Bowl weekend. He didn’t need to get all the offers from other teams to determine what the amount was to are to. Could also be that based on how the last round of extension talks with with Vikings, he may internally believe Vikings might not come up to the number other teams might. 

quite possibly this is the final outcome, yes.

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

quite possibly this is the final outcome, yes.

I'm not sure when this agreed to extension with Brees during SB weekend was, since I can't find any evidence of it, but Brees was never going to leave NO (and likely wasn't going to have any serious competition for his services), so it's not really a similar comparison. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure when this agreed to extension with Brees during SB weekend was, since I can't find any evidence of it, but Brees was never going to leave NO (and likely wasn't going to have any serious competition for his services), so it's not really a similar comparison. 

I think there were other teams that would have loved to sign Brees if he was open to changing teams.  The Vikings are one of the teams that could have used his services when he was signing under market deals with the Saints at the end of his career.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I think there were other teams that would have loved to sign Brees if he was open to changing teams.  The Vikings are one of the teams that could have used his services when he was signing under market deals with the Saints at the end of his career.

in the multiverse i frequent often, Brees signed with the Vikings when he left the Chargers, and didn't go to New Orleans. we then beat the Saints in the 2009 NFCCG, who were quarterbacked by... Brett Favre.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

in the multiverse i frequent often, Brees signed with the Vikings when he left the Chargers, and didn't go to New Orleans. we then beat the Saints in the 2009 NFCCG, who were quarterbacked by... Brett Favre.

As long as the Vikings weren't coached by Sean Peyton!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

That's the main problem, he wasn't open to it...and everyone knew it.  But, I suspect the Vikings were only one of a few that would have considered him, because while he was never physically gifted, he really had nothing physically left in the tank at the end, it was all his smarts that was getting him by. 

If Kirk does happen to leave (I hope that's not the case), I'm pretty confident that it'll be on good terms and most Vikings Fans will root for him wherever he plays (with the exception of an NFC North rival) 

The truth of the matter is, Kirk deserves a ring just like Stafford did. I would love to see him get one, I just hope it's with us.

• Like 2