Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

Justin Jefferson:  "I always knew Kirk was going to do whatever he needs to do for his business-wise. And I just knew that everything just wasn't the way he wanted it to be in Minnesota. And especially just with having to pay me and having to pay so many other different guys."

"I feel like he just wanted a new start, a new opportunity to start with Atlanta, and a clean slate. And I'm not mad at him at all for that."

"I'm grateful for what he has brought to me and the things that we have accomplished together. But at the end of the day, it is a business, and you gotta do what you gotta do for yourself and for your family. And I clearly understand that."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/justin-jefferson-opens-up-kirk-cousins-leaving-minnesota-vikings?

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I still wonder if Cousins would have stayed in Minnesota if Atlanta had been as up front with him about drafting a young QB as the Vikings were. 

If things had been closer to being equal, I believe so...since it's such a heavy lift to move your family. 

• Like 1

Kirk Cousins will be one-season-and-done in Atlanta

Imagine a scenario in which the Falcons struggle this season and decide to move to Penix in 2024. Or how about a scenario in which the constant presence of a top-10 pick at his position looking over his shoulder frustrates Cousins to the point that he wants out? Could the Falcons trade him after one year?

The short answer is yes, though it wouldn't be the cleanest move ever. Cousins is guaranteed $27.5 million for 2025, and he has a $10 million 2026 roster bonus that becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the 2025 league year this coming March. So any acquiring team would be on the hook for $37.5 million -- more than reasonable for a good starting quarterback in 2025. There's no doubt that if the Falcons made Cousins available next spring, teams would be interested.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/40519791/2024-nfl-offseason-judging-overreactions-takeaways-signings-draft-picks-trades

35 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Let's bring him back in 2025 for one last ride!

No...Baker Mayfield will revert back to his crappyness and then Tampa Bay will take Kirk on.  Kirk's parents live in Orlando, so it'd be a hop, skip and a jump to have them watch his kids.  🤣

On 7/11/2024 at 9:55 AM, Socrates said:

Let's bring him back in 2025 for one last ride!

I wish we could have signed him on a 1 year deal and have McCarthy learn behind him. 

Maybe things changed for Darnold, but he's still nowhere near the level of QB that we saw with Cousins. 

Silly pipedream though. We don't even know if Kirk will be as good as he was with that injury he had.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Consider Kirk Cousins' rankings in the notable team stat categories:

• Yards: 23,265 – 3rd in Vikings History
  • Completion %: 67.9% — 3rd in Vikings History
  • Touchdowns: 171 – 2nd in Vikings History
  • Interceptions: 55 – 5th in Vikings History

First, a note on completion percentage.

Only Sam Bradford and Nick Mullens are coming in ahead of Cousins. Given the sample size, Cousins is the most impressive. Bradford had just 17 games playing for the Vikings and Mullens is down at 9. Cousins, in contrast, put in work across 88 games. No comparison.

The yards are coming in an era when passing is more abundant, but it’s still super impressive. Tommy Kramer (128 games) and Fran Tarkenton (177) are coming in ahead but had way more opportunity, at least in terms of the games played.

The touchdown passes also come within the context of the modern game being pass friendly, but the same games played issue needs to get factored into the mix. Only Tarkenton has more.

The interceptions aren’t a stat anyone wants to have but an overall 171/55 TD-to-INT ratio is strong work. Consider, for instance, that Tarkenton is sitting on a 239/194 ratio while Kramer finds himself at 159/157. Daunte Culpepper is at 135/86.

The different eras run through all of these numbers, but Kirk Cousins piled up tremendous stats across just five and half years as the QB1 in Minnesota. Had he finished his career in The Gopher States, Cousins could have realistically claimed every major stat category in team history.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/kirk-cousins-final-vi/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 5

As expected, Falcons quarterback Kirk Cousins has been fully medically cleared for training camp, head coach Raheem Morris said in his Thursday press conference.

But with the veteran signal-caller still coming off a torn Achilles, the team will make some modifications to his practice schedule — much like the team did during the offseason program. But where there weren’t players around Cousins’ feet during plays in OTAs, now that will change in team drills.

Morris added that he’d like to get through several practices before deciding whether or not Cousins will appear in one of Atlanta’s preseason games. But the head coach noted that he’s looking toward the upcoming joint sessions with the Dolphins on Aug. 6 and 7.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kirk-cousins-medically-cleared-for-training-camp

While we don’t have access to what really happened between Kirk Cousins and the Vikings, now there’s been an update on one aspect of those negotiations. It comes straight from the horse’s mouth, with Cousins appearing on the Scoop City podcast with former NFL QB Chase Daniel.

Cousins indicates that Kevin O’Connell told him it would be “very unlikely” for the Vikings to draft a QB if he returned in 2024.

Cousins: “I think the reality is just that they wanted to give themselves that flexibility. And I remember Kevin’s words, which I’m not going to hold him to them were, ‘Hey if we sign you back, I would think it’s very unlikely that we would draft somebody.’ It was something to that effect. But I also know in the league things change. So even if he says that, it’s not like I’m going to, you know, hold him to that. But his approach was, ‘I just don’t see us doing that if you’re back. You know, if you’re not back, then we have to.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/kirk-cousins-says-vikings-wouldnt-have-done-him-dirty-like-falcons-did/?fbclid=IwY2xjawEVRqZleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHa2y17mbefzrQGkpYevk-4uUdpj5sMSbBuHyDQM7lS-29o0aApxNJbre6A_aem_1EcY0GVbOvX_LVzUwYkobA

59 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s an interesting comment from Kirk, because it’s in direct contrast with what was said and reported not only this spring, but last year as well. 

Also note though that he said KOC told him that...not KAM.  Ultimately, it may have lowered the odds that they'd take a QB, however. 

• Like 1

Via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Falcons have sold out their season tickets. That’s the first time it has happened in nearly two decades.

That traces all the way back to the Michael Vick era. And it means that six playoff seasons (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017) failed to move the season-ticket needle, even as Matt Ryan won the league MVP award and led the Falcons to Super Bowl LI.

The sellout comes on the heels of six straight non-playoff seasons. And it also happened after the signing of quarterback Kirk Cousins and the drafting of quarterback Michael Penix Jr.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/falcons-sell-out-season-tickets-for-first-time-in-nearly-20-years