2024 TE Talk

nicfre2011

29 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on Theo Johnson from Penn State?

Love him. I was disappointed in his tape from this year. I was expecting him to make a big jump this year. He’s a solid blocker, and he’s a better weapon than Strange, who had a year in the NFL and was a second round pick. Not as good a blocker as Strange was, but still a better than average blocker.

One of my guys for the Titans. Could be available when they’re in the range to take a TE.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Sanders will be on the board at 32. Likely at 40. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowers falls out of the top 10 either. 

TE is a somewhat devalued position for most teams. The ones that prioritize it mostly got their fill last year. 

52 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Pretty sure Sanders will be on the board at 32. Likely at 40. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowers falls out of the top 10 either. 

TE is a somewhat devalued position for most teams. The ones that prioritize it mostly got their fill last year. 

That may be so, and admittedly last year was a really solid tight end draft but the Chiefs really don't have anyone behind Kelce that projects to being a consistent impact in our offensive system. Noah Gray is a serviceable veteran but our offense is still so dependent on Kelce and I don't see Gray being able to fill the role after Kelce retires (which coukd be sooner rather than later now that his off-field exposure is taking off and he is becoming a global brand). I wanted the Chiefs to add a tight end in the draft last year and I think there is real value to getting a young, physically gifted player at the position to groom behind Kelce and learn as much from him as possible. I am really honing in on Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, and Sanders as weapons possibly on the board in round 1 that could make a big impact in our offensive system.

Edited by nicfre2011
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:17 AM, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on Theo Johnson from Penn State?

Watched a little of him. From what I got he looks like a monster pass protector, not as good as a run blocker but when he makes a clean connection he moves ppl. Doesn't seem fluid catching the ball but before that he is a super athlete. Kinda like him. Like if your dirty work TE was a super athlete that's kinda cool. 

On 1/8/2024 at 8:15 AM, Daniel said:

Theo Johnson from Penn State started the season as my TE2, but he's not really done much this year.  Potentially a sleeper though, because he absolutely has talent, and is a better weapon than Strange was, and Strange went really early in the draft (though he was also a much better blocker).

#agedlikefinewine

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Nice. TE2 for me, Sinnott TE3. Not huge on Sanders.

It's really hard to sort this TE class from like 2-5 IMO.  I have Sinnott 2 and Johnson 3.  Johnson was great in 22, but his tape from this year just isn't that great.  Maybe he just wasn't schemed to get the ball a lot, I don't know.  But Sinnott was a weapon in the games I watched, and while he didn't destroy the combine, he had a good one.

I did like Sanders, but you can't discount an unathletic TE.  And Bell came in much smaller than I expected, but I liked him a lot as South Carolina in 22 and at Florida St this year.

Jaheim Bell is good. He's just not an in-line TE.

Looking at Ja'Tavion Sanders, I was under the impression he was going to test like an absolute FREAK. He tested like a "meh" athlete. I didn't love his tape, but had he run a 4.4 like I thought he could, I'd be firmly in the camp that he is TE2. I still like him, but the main thing that caught my eye with him has proven to be a bit overstated...at least in my eyes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

Give me Reiman in rd 4 or 5 over Sanders, Bell, Johnson in rds 3-4.

Teiman is very interesting. Any idea why a player with his physical skull set and athletic ability wasn't able to make more of an impact in the passing game for Illinois? I am not familiar with their offensive system or surrounding offensive talent.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:26 PM, nicfre2011 said:

Teiman is very interesting. Any idea why a player with his physical skull set and athletic ability wasn't able to make more of an impact in the passing game for Illinois? I am not familiar with their offensive system or surrounding offensive talent.

He spent most of his time blocking.

Juice Williams was their featured guy.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:26 PM, nicfre2011 said:

Looked ropey in the catching drills at the combine, doesn't look natural. He was moving that sled though! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kirby Drive said:

He spent most of his time blocking.

Juice Williams was their featured guy.

The second he came out in the combine, I thought he looked like a blocking TE.

• Like 1