NFC Wild Card: 6. Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5) Sunday Night Football

Louis Friend

Rams @ Lions   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets revenge?

It’s revisionism. Goff was hammered trash at the end. McVay was literally explaining a play call he wrote up that gave Goff an option underneath that he didn’t spot. You never heard McVay doing stuff like that in press conferences before. It was done. 

He’s improved and he’s behind a far better OL

Edited by Hunter2_1

Don’t even see how that could be interpreted as a shot. Clearly just giving Goff his credit and, if anything, is a comment on the “narrative” that Goff wasn’t a good QB. Which was absolutely there when he was leaving the Rams.

LA traded him away, with picks, for a player at the same position. Pretty clear that that’s LA saying they wanted a better QB. DC’s hyping up his guy, some of you are just sensitive.

• Like 3

Ok so Im going to point this out bc Ive been seeing Lion fans on twitter being arrogant at best. Flat out mean and disgusting at worst. I know on here Lion fans are totally different than on twitter.

The issue is what we saw in the game. People are pointing out the things that went on in the game. The dirty hit that was put on Higbee that caused him to tear his ACL by the same guy who ended Hockenson season too with the same injury. Not saying he did that on purpose, maybe he just dont know how to tackle or put in a bad situation bc he didnt want to go high and possibly cause a concussion which could long term end in CTE which is even worse. Who knows but at the end of the day it was a bad hit that people are pointing out shouldve been a flag.

The the hit on Stafford that really couldve been thrown from the late hit on Hutch, the second hit put on by the other defender or Hutch stepping on Stafford. Either couldve been called but neither was. And we saw in the Steelers/Bills game Allen barely got touched as a runner sliding and the refs threw the flag on the Steelers. Stafford is throwing the ball and got hit worse and no flag. 

Then of course the DPI or holding on Puka in the biggest moment of the game. Wasnt call. As PFT pointed out, in the Superbowl the Eagles defender was called for a similar situation on Juju and his wasnt even remotely as bad as the Lions what they did on Puka. 

All Lions fans on twitter will point out is yeah but the refs missed the offsides call on the Rams that cost them possibly 3pts. Ok I agree but from everything I just said it sounded like a blood bath. There is physical and then there is just flat out unsafe. And the thing is IF the Rams wouldve won that game, how would they even manage the next week? Four guys like the game being checked for concussion and Im shocked all of them came back. Stafford eyes rolled back of his head after those big shots he took on that one play that again Im shocked the refs didnt call roughing the passer. 

And by no means Im blaming the Lions players bc if the refs arent calling it then you continue to play like it. I remember back in the day when the Pats played the Colts in the playoffs and the Pats would get physical with the Colts receivers literally mauling them all game long. Of course this was in New England. The refs wouldnt blow the whistle. They let everything go. So the Pats kept doing it bc they were getting away with it. As a result Peyton would struggle and the Colts would lose. Its like what could the Colts do? 

Some people even pointed out that Dan Campbell was on the 2009 Saints team so this is Bounty Gate 2.0. I wouldnt go that far to say that. Again I dont think it was any intention to hurt anyone. I think though its the refs job to make sure things dont get out of hand. And as I mentioned about the Pats and Colts game and how it was officiated bc it was in New England. That shouldnt be normalized to think well it was in New England or Kansas City or in this case Detroit that the refs arent going to make those calls on the home team. The refs shouldnt be biased towards the home team or any specific team. No matter what.

And by no means Im saying the Lions didnt deserve to win that game. In a tight game the difference was the redzone. They were far better in the redzone than the Rams so they deserved to win. Im happy for Goff and the Lions. I thought before the season started they had NFCCG potential. I thought at the very very best the Rams had MAYBE divisional round potential depending on the matchup and they almost proved me right. But Im saying in the offseason the NFL need to look into this Craig Wrolstad and his crew. In a playoff game they was the worse. We can have a discussion about calls or non calls but when player safety is on the line then yeah nobody can argue about that. Bc if the shoe was on the other foot and Goff got crushed to where his eyes rolled to the back of his head. If LaPorta got crushed by a guy who took out another tight end with the same injury. We saw a drop hip tackle too which we know ended Mark Andrews season and the NFL is talking about banning that. So if the Rams did all of that to the Lions there would be an uproar and I wouldnt disagree. As a Rams fan I hope I never see Craigh Wrolstad and his crew ref another Rams game ever. 

10 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The dirty hit that was put on Higbee that caused him to tear his ACL by the same guy who ended Hockenson season too with the same injury. Not saying he did that on purpose, maybe he just dont know how to tackle or put in a bad situation bc he didnt want to go high and possibly cause a concussion which could long term end in CTE which is even worse. Who knows but at the end of the day it was a bad hit that people are pointing out shouldve been a flag.

Flag for what? It’s not illegal to go low on a receiver, defenseless or not.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Soko said:

Flag for what? It’s not illegal to go low on a receiver, defenseless or not.

Im just saying people were pointing that out shouldve been a flag. Or at least the NFL could make it that way where a defender cant do that bc it can mess up knees. Larry Fitzgerald told someone when he played that dont hit him low. He would rather get hit in the head and he would pay the player fine. He could recover quickly from a concussion than he can from a knee injury. I know its hard to be a defender but in the end if you are a defender and you know you caused two players knees from the same tackle like that shouldnt sit well. And again Im not calling the guy a dirty player but we all know perception and how it looks like. 

Edited by stl4life07

If you score on one of the 3 trips in the red zone we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Sadly we benefited from of the best calls of all time against the saints, so we won’t get a pitty party lol. Also, Twitter is a cesspool.. whistle was a bit towards lions, That was 100% RTP and that was 100% illegal contact DPI on Puka... But those plays happen. Sometimes you get the good end or the bad end. Defense had a chance at the end, but the lions closed us out… It was a great playoff game. I can’t say we were robbed at all.. Hats off to that young Detroit team… Think the Rams were a much tougher out too than Tampa will be. Rams packed a much more explosive offense… Detroit should win by +13

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Im just saying people were pointing that out shouldve been a flag. Or at least the NFL could make it that way where a defender cant do that bc it can mess up knees. 

Why bring it up if they’re wrong? Anyone whining about a flag for the hit against Higbee is wrong. It’s not an opinion, it just isn’t against the rules. 

Whether you personally wish it was an illegal hit is completely different from lending merit to it under the guise of “well this is just what people are saying…”, as if it’s a talking point. Dumb people that don’t know the rules are saying dumb things. 

Giving the defenders a strike zone would be astronomically stupid, fwiw. Dude bends forward and then his whole body becomes non-contact. That’s another topic though. 

Edited by Soko
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soko said:

Why bring it up if they’re wrong? Anyone whining about a flag for the hit against Higbee is wrong. It’s not an opinion, it just isn’t against the rules. 

Whether you personally wish it was an illegal hit is completely different from lending merit to it under the guise of “well this is just what people are saying…”, as if it’s a talking point. Dumb people that don’t know the rules are saying dumb things. 

Giving the defenders a strike zone would be astronomically stupid, fwiw. Dude bends forward and then his whole body becomes non-contact. That’s another topic though. 

Yeah like I’d want for the league to make a define rule on what a defender can and cannot do when hitting and/or tackling an offensive player. The Higbee one was very unfortunate but even more unfortunate that the same guy did it to Hockenson that resulted in the same injury.

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Yeah like I’d want for the league to make a define rule on what a defender can and cannot do when hitting and/or tackling an offensive player. The Higbee one was very unfortunate but even more unfortunate that the same guy did it to Hockenson that resulted in the same injury.

There are set, defined rules on what a defender can’t do. Going low for the knees is not one of them. You’re trying to add ambiguity into this when there really isn’t any. Nothing about it was remotely illegal. 

Higbee getting hurt is unfortunate, as it is when anyone gets hurt. Thats football. Low tackles like that happen a lot, sometimes the leg’s planted and sometimes it isn’t. Reality of the game, as it stands. Not illegal, not hazy, not unclear. It’s a legal hit.

Edited by Soko
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soko said:

There are set, defined rules on what a defender can’t do. Going low for the knees is not one of them. You’re trying to add ambiguity into this when there really isn’t any. Nothing about it was remotely illegal. 

Higbee getting hurt is unfortunate, as it is when anyone gets hurt. Thats football. Low tackles like that happen a lot, sometimes the leg’s planted and sometimes it isn’t. Reality of the game, as it stands. Not illegal, not hazy, not unclear. It’s a legal hit.

I think it’s inconsistent for the most part. Maybe not the type of hit on Higbee but for me I don’t see that type of hit I rarely ever see. That’s why his hit and the hit on Hockenson jumps out bc I can’t tell you other players that was hit like that. 

25 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think it’s inconsistent for the most part. Maybe not the type of hit on Higbee but for me I don’t see that type of hit I rarely ever see. That’s why his hit and the hit on Hockenson jumps out bc I can’t tell you other players that was hit like that. 

In what way is it inconsistent? Have you ever seen a flag thrown for a hit on a receiver’s knees? It happens every week in the NFL. Like I said, sometimes the let’s planted and sometimes it isn’t. Not always an injury. Driving at guys’ legs is nothing new.

gronkowski-injury.gif

I was pissed and calling TJ dirty too, but that doesn’t make it ambiguously legal. It’s just legal.

• Like 1