AFC Wildcard: #5 Browns @ #4 Texans

NeptunePenguins

Who wins?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

41 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

How is this Myles vs Laremy Tunsil matchup gonna go?

Some wins and losses by both, but it would be extremely hard to see Garrett not put his fingerprints on this game at some point.

Edited by AkronsWitness

51 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Some wins and losses by both, but it would be extremely hard to see Garrett not put his fingerprints on this game at some point.

I hope Tunsil being good means they leave Myles on him 1-1 sometimes. Idc how good Tunsil is—if anyone is 1-1 with Garrett, he’s going to wreck the game. 

12 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Probably gets some help for a RB/TE to chip Myles and does a good job handling him but Myles will still make an impact.

Is it 4:30 yet? I’m ready for some playoff football!

Flacco is 100% going to have at least 2 INTs. Cleveland turns the ball over like crazy.

I’m expecting Houston to play with intense youthful energy. They score a TD, then Flacco throws an INT to put them up 14-0 early.

Then Cleveland cleans things up a bit to be down 14-3 at half.

Then they slowly start to chip away and by the time the 4th quarter rolls around it’s 17-17.

Then Cleveland gets the ball on the final drive leading to a game winner.😎

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Flacco is 100% going to have at least 2 INTs. Cleveland turns the ball over like crazy.

I’m expecting Houston to play with intense youthful energy. They score a TD, then Flacco throws an INT to put them up 14-0 early.

Then Cleveland cleans things up a bit to be down 14-3 at half.

Then they slowly start to chip away and by the time the 4th quarter rolls around it’s 17-17.

Then Cleveland gets the ball on the final drive leading to a game winner.😎

Sounds like you’re one of those NFL Script Writers we keep hearing about, haha

2 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Sounds like you’re one of those NFL Script Writers we keep hearing about, haha

Its been the script the entire season and its how generally Cleveland likes to play ball. Make a bunch of mistakes/turnovers that make you want to punch a hole in the TV in the 1st half, stabilize the ship in the second half, make some wow plays and pull it out in the 4th. Its what they do but we are very accustomed to sloppy 1st half football. Which is why the first quarter by these teams is going to give me a heart attack.

The defense is also like a great 3pt shooter. They start every game 'feeling it out' and need to see 1 go in before they lock in defensively. Once they get a 3 and out or a big play on defense it is essentially a trigger for the rest of the game and locks everybody in.. But they need to see it/do it once first. IDK if its a confidence thing or what but its certainly a trend.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Probably 3+ false starts from Tunsil and 2+ offsides from Myles. Those two are elite but penalty machines in those areas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Is there anyway the Browns can get out of the Watson contract without it killing their cap?

It’s fully guaranteed, so unless they found someone willing to trade for him and take the contract on fully, they’re stuck.  Even if they offered their first round pick and Watson for a 7th I’m not sure anyone would take it

Edited by MaddHatter

32 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

It’s fully guaranteed, so unless they found someone willing to trade for him and take the contract on fully, they’re stuck.  Even if they offered their first round pick and Watson for a 7th I’m not sure anyone would take it

Also if they did that they'd be admitting failure and a lot of front offices don't like doing that.

Maybe a team is still interested and would actually offer something but I doubt it.

What is the explanation for the extreme home/road splits by the Browns defense? 

Browns home y/rush: 3.9
Browns away y/rush: 4.7
League avg: 4.2

Browns home y/a: 4.7
Browns away y/a: 7.2
League avg: 7.0

Browns opp QB rating home: 64
Browns opp QB rating away: 87
League avg: 89

Going into this game, should I have any expectation that the Browns are an elite defense? Or are they just historically great at home and slightly below average on the road? 

8 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

What is the explanation for the extreme home/road splits by the Browns defense? 

Browns home y/rush: 3.9
Browns away y/rush: 4.7
League avg: 4.2

Browns home y/a: 4.7
Browns away y/a: 7.2
League avg: 7.0

Browns opp QB rating home: 64
Browns opp QB rating away: 87
League avg: 89

Going into this game, should I have any expectation that the Browns are an elite defense? Or are they just historically great at home and slightly below average on the road? 

A lot of it is just because of a few games. At home the games against the Bengals, Titans and Cardinals accounted for less than 300 total yards of defense. On the road the Rams and Colts combined for over 850 yards.

Against the Ravens they gave up 296 at home and 306 on the road so pretty even. Steelers 255 and 249, pretty even. Bengals are skewed because of various reasons, a freakishly bad game by the Bengals offense in the opener and the Browns resting players in the finale.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

A lot of it is just because of a few games. At home the games against the Bengals, Titans and Cardinals accounted for less than 300 total yards of defense. On the road the Rams and Colts combined for over 850 yards.

Against the Ravens they gave up 296 at home and 306 on the road so pretty even. Steelers 255 and 249, pretty even. Bengals are skewed because of various reasons, a freakishly bad game by the Bengals offense in the opener and the Browns resting players in the finale.

It's not the total yards that is an issue, more like the yards per play and points per game. 

home yards/play: 3.7
away yards/play: 5.5

home points/game: 14
away points/game: 30

It's just interesting how they shut down the SF offense at home one week and the next week get shredded by Minshew's Colts. Maybe their defensive numbers are juiced by fortunate QB encounters (Burrow wk 1, Cards playing Clayton Tune). 

I don't think the final game where the Browns rested is really relevant, because their defensive stats in that game are pretty much in line with their road season averages.

31 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's not the total yards that is an issue, more like the yards per play and points per game. 

home yards/play: 3.7
away yards/play: 5.5

home points/game: 14
away points/game: 30

It's just interesting how they shut down the SF offense at home one week and the next week get shredded by Minshew's Colts. Maybe their defensive numbers are juiced by fortunate QB encounters (Burrow wk 1, Cards playing Clayton Tune). 

I don't think the final game where the Browns rested is really relevant, because their defensive stats in that game are pretty much in line with their road season averages.

Points per game aren't a good measure on a team who turned it over way more than any other team. 23 more times than the Texans turned it over this year. 1st vs worst.

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Points per game aren't a good measure on a team who turned it over way more than any other team. 23 more times than the Texans turned it over this year. 1st vs worst.

Yes that's why I included yards per play. Browns opponents are average almost 2 more yards per play on the road vs. at home.