New Coordinators

Louis Friend

6 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

So otoh I like how when things start to go bad in the 3rd qt I don't panic because I know that we are pretty good in the fourth. I also think it gives the players confidence that they can pull themselves out of a tough situation. However, Monty got very few touches in the 4th this last game so you are leaving potential on the sideline. It also makes you wonder if we would not have to rely on our DBs at the very end if we had put up more points in the 3rd. The refs could have easily thrown a flag on our last defensive play and we could have been watching them make a FG with no time on the clock.

Agreed. I also didn't love the call to move them back and give them another 4th down chance but that turned out ok for us.  I would have loved to see more points, especially because I took the over, but still think the second half struggles were more to do with great defensive plays by the Rams.  They blew up a couple screens, they got after Goff.  Early on we had like 15 consecutive plays go for positive yards so when we get into 3rd and long, its tougher.  But we still overcame some of that and our D did step up when it needed to.  I get wanting more, most teams do but I just want to win and we did that, for the 13th time this year. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed. I also didn't love the call to move them back and give them another 4th down chance but that turned out ok for us.  I would have loved to see more points, especially because I took the over, but still think the second half struggles were more to do with great defensive plays by the Rams.  They blew up a couple screens, they got after Goff.  Early on we had like 15 consecutive plays go for positive yards so when we get into 3rd and long, its tougher.  But we still overcame some of that and our D did step up when it needed to.  I get wanting more, most teams do but I just want to win and we did that, for the 13th time this year. 

The amount of resources we threw at Donald was going to open someone up on that D. That’s why idl is so valuable to me. You dont need the stat line, but my word does it make the D better.

• Like 2

And let’s just be honest, we don’t have the defensive talent or depth yet to shut people down or put games away. We scored touchdowns on our first three possessions of the game, but our defense gave up two touchdowns and a FG in response. could we have scored more points in the half? 

The defense spends extra time on the field because they can’t get off of it. Our DBs get put in bad spots because other teams adjust and attack them. Our offense can only do so much. We are top 5 in every offensively category. There is some room for improvement but not much. I don’t know of any team that scores on every single possession. The biggest area we can improve is defensively. But until we have the players to do that, we put up as many points as we can playing efficient football and hope we can get a stop or take away. 

It’s funny, I said before the game and I’ll say it again now, the Rams and Lions are like mirror images as far as roster makeups go. They are a well oiled offense that can get you in multiple ways. Defensively, they have a few players who are very good but there are holes to be exploited. Both teams are coached to their strengths. I knew it would be a close game and the Lions having home field would give them the edge. 

We need IDL, an edge opposite Hutch and some damn outside CBs who can tackle. 

• Like 2

IDL is definitely something we need to address. As is edge.  Hutch gets so much pressure but because there is none coming from anywhere else, the QBs have freedom to move around and find open WRs.  We were blitzing more yesterday which I liked to see.  The D actually played solid in the first half other than three or four plays.  Unfortunately those 3 or 4 plays all went for scores or big first downs. 

It would be so nice to have decent CBs out there too.  Sutton was a big upgrade from what we had last year, but he still isn't a true #1 talent.  We need to put some resources either in free agency or the draft or both into CB.  Unfortunately Okudah did not work out for us and set us back but finding a guy like Slay that we can plug in and make Sutton our CB2 will be huge.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

IDL is definitely something we need to address. As is edge.  Hutch gets so much pressure but because there is none coming from anywhere else, the QBs have freedom to move around and find open WRs.  We were blitzing more yesterday which I liked to see.  The D actually played solid in the first half other than three or four plays.  Unfortunately those 3 or 4 plays all went for scores or big first downs. 

It would be so nice to have decent CBs out there too.  Sutton was a big upgrade from what we had last year, but he still isn't a true #1 talent.  We need to put some resources either in free agency or the draft or both into CB.  Unfortunately Okudah did not work out for us and set us back but finding a guy like Slay that we can plug in and make Sutton our CB2 will be huge.  

I can’t like this post enough.

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sutton would make a very nice #2. 

• Like 1

Nick Sirianni is on the verge of being fired after losing 2 star coordinators last year. I hope Campbell learns from this to be able to hire the right people. 

Say what you want about Glenn, but the players respect and will play for him. Can't say the same about the Eagles' DC Desai and Patricia.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Nick Sirianni is on the verge of being fired after losing 2 star coordinators last year. I hope Campbell learns from this to be able to hire the right people. 

Say what you want about Glenn, but the players respect and will play for him. Can't say the same about the Eagles' DC Desai and Patricia.

I think Campbell understands that much better than Sirianni would as a former player. 

I believe that Campbell is the best of both worlds and it's the reason that we've had the success that we've had so far. 

• Ex-Player: He can understand what these guys are going through, how they're thinking, and what they need from him - whether it's as a motivator, leader, play-caller, etc. 
  • Coach: He has been around some great coaches and has learned what it takes to be successful on this side of the ball. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think Campbell understands that much better than Sirianni would as a former player. 

I believe that Campbell is the best of both worlds and it's the reason that we've had the success that we've had so far. 

• Ex-Player: He can understand what these guys are going through, how they're thinking, and what they need from him - whether it's as a motivator, leader, play-caller, etc. 
  • Coach: He has been around some great coaches and has learned what it takes to be successful on this side of the ball. 

I had more to comment on this but then Google decided to toss it out and I don't really feel like re-writing it lol

Long and short - you don't HAVE to be an ex-player to be a good coach but when you've been through it, it's hard to learn that through anything but experience. Couple that with really great coaching instincts and you can have something special. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

I wonder what Pete Carroll plans to do. I wouldn’t mind bringing him in as a defensive minded mind. His teams always gave us fits. 

I wonder if he'd be willing to do something like that? He always struck me as one with a very large ego. I have no basis for that, just how I perceive him.

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I wonder if he'd be willing to do something like that? He always struck me as one with a very large ego. I have no basis for that, just how I perceive him.

That’s why I’m wondering. Apparently he did not want to leave the Seahawks but non football people decided he needed to leave. If he still has a desire to be involved in the NFL, he’d be someone I’d put feelers out on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

That’s why I’m wondering. Apparently he did not want to leave the Seahawks but non football people decided he needed to leave. If he still has a desire to be involved in the NFL, he’d be someone I’d put feelers out on. 

Is this the right place to say the world would be better without Non-Football people? I mean right off the bat you lose Chuck Schmidt and Matt Patricia, lol.

• Like 1