LIONS COORDINATORS AND HEAD COACHING CANDIDATES (NE,LV, TEN, LAC, CAR, ATL, SEA, WAS - ALL TEAMS FILLED!)

Karnage84

Just to keep things in an organized place for all of the interviews of current Lions staff. 

OPEN POSITIONS: Washington, Carolina, LA Chargers, Tennessee, Seattle, New England, Las Vegas

CLOSED FOR 2024: Chicago

TBD: New Orleans; Pittsburgh (Tomlin rumoured to step down); Buffalo (rumours McDermott could be fired); Tampa Bay (Bowles has been on the hot seat); New York Jets (Saleh unlikely to be fired but there are question marks); 

HEAD COACH INTERVIEWS

BEN JOHNSON

1. Washington
  2. Carolina
  3. LA Chargers
  4. Atlanta
  5. Tennessee
  6. Seattle

AARON GLENN

1. Washington
  2. LA Chargers
  3. Tennessee
  4. Atlanta

GENERAL MANAGER INTERVIEWS

MIKE DISNER

• Carolina

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2024/1/8/24030859/2024-nfl-coaching-carousel-tracking-interviews-detroit-lions-coordinators-ben-johnson-aaron-glenn

Edited by Karnage84
Added NE to Open and CHI to Closed

I just saw Pete Carroll is out in Seattle so that is another solid destination for one of our guys to end up. 

I hope nobody leaves for Carolina, that feels like a Dan Snyder mess which has shown to not work very well. 

LA Chargers for Ben Johnson makes sense given the QB and his schemes.  I also think he would be solid in Seattle but him with Herbert and those WRs along with an aging Eckeler would be a fun offense to watch. Seattle has the RBs to fit his scheme too though with KW3 and Charbonett as a solid duo like he has here. Those WRs are dirty too and he could probably win with Geno Smith if they keep him like has done with Goff. 

Washington might be a decent spot but feels like they are going through a reset and need to get worse to get better (weird given how bad they are but similar to what we did in year one with DC).  Thats a tough job and I feel like Glenn might be more of a personality for that type of job similar to DC here.  Doesn't have to be a great X and O's guy but has to be able to organize and motivate which I think are his strengths like Antonio Pierce. 

Tennessee seems like a tough situation now too.  They likely will roll with Levis for at least another year but he isn't a talent that I would want to be stuck with as a first year coach.  Feels like another spot set up for failure but they have expectations of quick turnarounds unlike Ryans in Houston who wasn't expected to be so good so fast. 

I would guess Johnson ends up in Washington. Number 2 pick, lots of cap space, new owner that doesn't seem to be a jerk.

Second would be NE. Third pick, rock solid organization. But they also have Mayo and if Ben went there there will be a Mayo shadow whether he stays or goes. He would also be following Bill which will be tough for anybody.

I'm happy for these guys. Yes, it sucks to lose important staff members, but if other teams want your guys then it means that you're doing something right. I'm confident in Campbell and Holmes finding the right guys to step up or bring in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idoubtit said:

I would guess Johnson ends up in Washington. Number 2 pick, lots of cap space, new owner that doesn't seem to be a jerk.

Second would be NE. Third pick, rock solid organization. But they also have Mayo and if Ben went there there will be a Mayo shadow whether he stays or goes. He would also be following Bill which will be tough for anybody.

I would not want to go to New England.  They are going to have to restructure with adding a GM for the first time in a while and that along with following a legend is scary.  It helps that the legend fell off a cliff but still would hate the comparisons every day.  I think Mayo takes that job and they bring in a GM to help.  At least he has some goodwill with the Pats fans. 

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I'm happy for these guys. Yes, it sucks to lose important staff members, but if other teams want your guys then it means that you're doing something right. I'm confident in Campbell and Holmes finding the right guys to step up or bring in. 

I agree with this.  I don't think the Lions have ever had a coordinator leave us to be a head coach elsewhere.  We usually see our head coaches leave to be coordinators elsewhere but we do not have guys who are garnering interest elsewhere.  This is special and unchartered territory for us but definitely is exciting to see DC helping these guys develop.  

• Like 1

This is a write-up on what lead to the firing of Mike Vrabel.  The Titans ownership didn't handle things too well.  However, there are some things done by Mike Vrabel that might make some teams a little hesitant to hire him.  It makes you appreciate the Lions situation a lot more though.

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/11/mike-vrabel-titans-control-relationship-owner/

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would not want to go to New England.  They are going to have to restructure with adding a GM for the first time in a while and that along with following a legend is scary.  It helps that the legend fell off a cliff but still would hate the comparisons every day.  I think Mayo takes that job and they bring in a GM to help.  At least he has some goodwill with the Pats fans. 

If Vrabel steps in, do you not think he would have instant credibility and wiggle room with that fanbase? He's considered a top 5-10 coach and is a legend in the franchise. 

If he keeps Mayo at DC and brings in someone like McDaniels at OC, they bring in a GM and he gets a QB in the top 3... it's a strong start. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If Vrabel steps in, do you not think he would have instant credibility and wiggle room with that fanbase? He's considered a top 5-10 coach and is a legend in the franchise. 

If he keeps Mayo at DC and brings in someone like McDaniels at OC, they bring in a GM and he gets a QB in the top 3... it's a strong start. 

I hate to say this but if Mike Vrabel goes to New England there is a good chance he fails for the same reason a lot of other former Patriot coaches fail:  He will start to think that he can act like Bill Bellichick even though he hasn't won a championship himself.  After watching the post-Tom Brady Patriots you would think former Belichick assistants would stop making that mistake.  One indication that Mike Vrabel is on that path:  asking for full roster control even though he has never coached a team to the Super Bowl.

Edited by Just Want A Title

35 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I hate to say this but if Mike Vrabel goes to New England there is a good chance he fails for the same reason a lot of other former Patriot coaches fail:  He will start to think that he can act like Bill Bellichick even though he hasn't won a championship himself.  After watching the post-Tom Brady Patriots you would think former Belichick assistants would stop making that mistake.  One indication that Mike Vrabel is on that path:  asking for full roster control even though he has never coached a team to the Super Bowl.

I disagree with this.  Vrabel has a history as a head coach and players loved playing for him.  He isn't from the Belichek coaching tree, he just played for him.  His coaching career includes Ohio St, Houston Texans, and the Titans.  There is zero concern about Vrabel being a Patricia or McDaniels. 

I do think he would be a great hire for them and wouldn't be shocked if they had that in place when he separated from the Titans.  He has done great things with Tannehill as his QB so would be interesting if he actually gets a QB. 

• Like 1

In general I think it's pretty crazy for coaches to ask for full control over the roster. There's just no way that a guy has both the time and knowledge to be fully in charge of both. That's just arrogance. There isn't time in the day for them to be in charge of the team and do all of the work that's required to get to know all of the players in the league and all of the incoming prospects. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lions017 said:

In general I think it's pretty crazy for coaches to ask for full control over the roster. There's just no way that a guy has both the time and knowledge to be fully in charge of both. That's just arrogance. There isn't time in the day for them to be in charge of the team and do all of the work that's required to get to know all of the players in the league and all of the incoming prospects. 

Agreed, can't believe owners would even let that happen these days.  BB did it for a while but must have had a good scouting team below him for a while.  They were great at not overpaying guys when their contract was up and filling the hole with a mid round pick but no way one guy can truly manage that and focus on his current team. 

I think Holmes and DC are about exactly what you need in a GM/HC duo with Holmes understanding what DC wants style, attitude etc wise and keeping him very involved in all decisions.  A lot of GM's and owners fall in love with players and force them on their coach and thats a great way to have talented guys not do well on your team.  We are not afraid to make the perceived wrong pick because the whole staff knows what we are doing and doesn't sway from it. 

On 1/12/2024 at 8:42 AM, Lions017 said:

I'm not sure that guys who do have full control actually run it like that. I think they probably just hire guys that they believe in and sign-off on the moves that are made. What they don't want it to be given a player they don't believe in or not upgrade players they think need upgrading. When a coach doesn't have control there needs to be really good communication.

On 1/12/2024 at 7:42 AM, Lions017 said:

I don't think full control is necessary but I do think coaches should have veto authority on who is on roster. 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:42 PM, Karnage84 said:

HEAD COACH INTERVIEWS

BEN JOHNSON

1. Washington
  2. Carolina
  3. LA Chargers
  4. Atlanta
  5. Tennessee

AARON GLENN

1. Washington
  2. LA Chargers
  3. Tennessee

CLOSED FOR 2024:

• Chicago - Matt Eberflus has been announced as coming back by the Bears
  • Pittsburgh - Mike Tomlin will be coming back
  • Dallas - Mike McCarthy has been announced as returning for the final year of his contract
  • New Orleans - Dennis Allen has been confirmed to be returning in 2024

TBD: New Orleans; Pittsburgh (Tomlin rumoured to step down); Buffalo (rumours McDermott could be fired); Tampa Bay (Bowles has been on the hot seat); New York Jets (Saleh unlikely to be fired but there are question marks); 

TBD

• Buffalo: The Bills are in the divisional round with a matchup against Kansas City. If the Bills win, there's zero chance they fire McDermott. If they lose to the Chiefs, it would have to depend on what happens in the game. If it's an even matchup, I don't see how he would get fired. If it's a blowout, maybe they'd decide to move on. 
  • Tampa Bay: Our upcoming opponent. The Bucs should look at returning Bowles and Baker while addressing other issues on the roster. The division appears to be getting a bit tougher next year (especially if someone like Bellichick enters as the Falcons HC). 
  • New York Jets: Saleh should be returning next year with a healthy Aaron Rodgers. Anything after that will be up in the air

HIRED

• New England: Jerod Mayo
  • Las Vegas: Antonio Pierce - Interim tag has been removed

Looking at the open jobs and the rumours surrounding them

OPEN

1. Washington: The Commanders have just hired Adam Peters to be their next GM. There are some rumours circulating that the Commanders job is Ben Johnson's to lose. He doesn't have a direct connection to Peters. Candidates Bobby Slowik (Houston OC); Mike Lafleur (LA Rams OC); and Steve Wilks (San Fran DC) all do. 
  2. LA Chargers: Jim Harbaugh and Bill Bellichick are getting a lot of buzz for this position. If Harbaugh goes back to Michigan and Bellichick takes the Falcons job (as rumoured), the Chargers are going to need to look at bringing someone else into the mix. 
  3. Atlanta: This feels almost like a done deal at this stage. Bill Bellichick is scheduled for a second interview with Arthur Blank. We all know who BB is and what he's done. A second interview feels more like a formality than a part of the search process. 
  4. Tennessee: Aaron Glenn is getting a lot of buzz for this position. There are a lot of names floating around here and this feels much less settled. 
  5. Seattle: Dan Quinn seems to be a favourite but this is still very much in the works
  6. Carolina: David Tepper is either going to need to change his approach and/or pay a boatload of money in order for the Panthers to find a capable coach. 
Edited by Karnage84