LIONS COORDINATORS AND HEAD COACHING CANDIDATES (NE,LV, TEN, LAC, CAR, ATL, SEA, WAS - ALL TEAMS FILLED!)

Karnage84

10 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I fully expect Ben Johnson to poach a few guys if he heads to Washington. He'd want someone that agrees with his offensive style so Fraley makes a lot of sense. I kind of think that Ben going to Washington is a done deal. That's why we haven't really heard anything from them looking at other coaches.

The other guy I could see being their HC is Eric B getting promoted from within. If that happens I think Ben stays in Detroit for another year. I think Mike Macdonald will end up in Seattle.

I'm with you, I think Johnson is Washington's coach. However, I never thought about Fraley leaving... and I hate the idea.

It seems like the verdict is out on Bill Belichick and "The Patriot Way".  Belichick hasn't had much success without Tom Brady and hasn't picked up a new HC gig.  Mike Vrabel seemed to burn a lot of bridges in Tennessee with his pursuit of more organizational control.  I don't think any of his former assistants were serious contenders for HC Jobs this year.

It may not be just "The Patriot Way" though.  Pete Carrol lost his job after years of mediocrity and bad drafting.  I think owners are no longer willing to have a HC that runs larger parts of the organization like they did in New England and Seattle.  Heck, that worked out very poorly with Andy Reid in Philadelphia also.  Every organization that is still alive in the playoffs has a pretty distinct separation of duties of the HC and roster building.  I am sure all of those HCs have input but for the most part being the HC is the limit of their influence and authority.  It seems like a lot of owners are becoming wary of having the HC run the entire organization.

I imagine it's hard to get teams that are willing to give up as much control as Vrabel or Belichick want. They're basically telling the guys that are interviewing them "I not only want to be the coach, but I want all or most of your job too." 

That's a hard sell. 

I do think that everybody passing on Belichick is a mistake unless he is demanding total control. As I mentioned before, half of these guys are going to be gone in three or four years. That's just how it works. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 1

The thing with Belichick is that he doesn't have long term upside.  Like if Dallas fired McCarthy he would fit there or if Philly moved on from Siriani.  But like they said on tv, if he brings Mcdaniels and Patricia, those guys have no respect in the league anymore.  He needs a situation to come in and have the talent and QB in place to win now.  

As for the total control, its dumb that coaches ask for it.  If anything they need to push for a GM to be hired that they are in better agreement with philosophically.  That is what has worked with DC and Holmes IMO.  They know how each other think and they trust each other.  I highly doubt we have made a single pick that Dan Campbell didn't want, but I bet Holmes has told Dan Campbell no on some guys and had reasons to support that call.  And DC trusts his assessment.  I think the situation in Tennessee was because Vrabel wasn't happy about drafting Willis and/or Levis. And the guys they are picking aren't turning out so their scouting is not working.  I think Vrabel did a great job with the talent he had.  If he had more say in draft picks than I think and pushed for Burks, Levis, Willis, etc then maybe he deserves to go but I doubt thats the case. 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

The thing with Belichick is that he doesn't have long term upside.  Like if Dallas fired McCarthy he would fit there or if Philly moved on from Siriani.  But like they said on tv, if he brings Mcdaniels and Patricia, those guys have no respect in the league anymore.  He needs a situation to come in and have the talent and QB in place to win now.  

As for the total control, its dumb that coaches ask for it.  If anything they need to push for a GM to be hired that they are in better agreement with philosophically.  That is what has worked with DC and Holmes IMO.  They know how each other think and they trust each other.  I highly doubt we have made a single pick that Dan Campbell didn't want, but I bet Holmes has told Dan Campbell no on some guys and had reasons to support that call.  And DC trusts his assessment.  I think the situation in Tennessee was because Vrabel wasn't happy about drafting Willis and/or Levis. And the guys they are picking aren't turning out so their scouting is not working.  I think Vrabel did a great job with the talent he had.  If he had more say in draft picks than I think and pushed for Burks, Levis, Willis, etc then maybe he deserves to go but I doubt thats the case. 

I know that's what everyone is thinking, but I think it's the wrong way to go about things. The numbers show that almost none of these guys are going to be around in 5 years, let alone 10+. Everyone wants to hire their coach thinking they're going to build this decade-long dynasty but that just almost never happens. Half of these guys will be fired in 3 years. It happens all the time. 

16 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Macdonald from UM DC to Seattle HC in 2 years is insane to me. 

I had listened to a podcast discussing all of this. Might have been Between the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah. 

Jim Harbaugh had difficulty beating Ohio State. He wanted to change the defense. Called up his brother and asked him for names of guys that he could bring down to UM to implement the Ravens scheme. He was given two names - Mike MacDonald and Jesse Minter. MacDonald comes down, does his thing for a year. Goes back to Baltimore as the DC. So Jim now needs to find another guy. Calls up the other guy, Jesse Minter. He comes on board after being in Vanderbilt for a year. 2 years at Michigan and he's now following Jim to the Chargers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I had listened to a podcast discussing all of this. Might have been Between the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah. 

Jim Harbaugh had difficulty beating Ohio State. He wanted to change the defense. Called up his brother and asked him for names of guys that he could bring down to UM to implement the Ravens scheme. He was given two names - Mike MacDonald and Jesse Minter. MacDonald comes down, does his thing for a year. Goes back to Baltimore as the DC. So Jim now needs to find another guy. Calls up the other guy, Jesse Minter. He comes on board after being in Vanderbilt for a year. 2 years at Michigan and he's now following Jim to the Chargers. 

Yea defense was key to that Michigan team 

6 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Yea defense was key to that Michigan team 

I don't know how familiar or known the story is, so I'm just relaying what they discussed. I personally found it really interesting in how closely related the Ravens and Harbaugh's UM teams were. Will be interesting to see them both back now in the AFC. I suspect that the pipeline is going to be closed. 

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I know that's what everyone is thinking, but I think it's the wrong way to go about things. The numbers show that almost none of these guys are going to be around in 5 years, let alone 10+. Everyone wants to hire their coach thinking they're going to build this decade-long dynasty but that just almost never happens. Half of these guys will be fired in 3 years. It happens all the time. 

The guys who won’t be there in three years are because they suck and will be fired.  You don’t hire a coach with that plan.  Belichick is 71 which is 6 years older than the next oldest HC.  If he coaches until he is 75 which is insane, you get four years out of him.  More likely you will get 2 or 3. He doesn’t have time to build up a team like Dan Campbell.  He needs a win now situation.  

on top of that, young coaches who are stretching the boundaries of typical schemes and styles are having more success and seems to be the way the league is going.  You aren’t seeing the same 4 re-treads being hired every year like it used to be.  A 71 year old coach who has been awful the last three years is not an exciting target. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The guys who won’t be there in three years are because they suck and will be fired.  You don’t hire a coach with that plan.  Belichick is 71 which is 6 years older than the next oldest HC.  If he coaches until he is 75 which is insane, you get four years out of him.  More likely you will get 2 or 3. He doesn’t have time to build up a team like Dan Campbell.  He needs a win now situation.  

on top of that, young coaches who are stretching the boundaries of typical schemes and styles are having more success and seems to be the way the league is going.  You aren’t seeing the same 4 re-treads being hired every year like it used to be.  A 71 year old coach who has been awful the last three years is not an exciting target. 

Maybe you guys haven't seen this. Pete Prisco plays Debbie Downer on this situation with Johnson. Brady Quinn comes in and just dunks on [Prisco], praising [Johnson] for his decision and calling him legit. He comments on how guys that jump at HC jobs do so because they aren't and they're afraid of being exposed. 

When you read Johnson's comments to MLive on why he made the decision, he's in a great spot, they're competing for divisions and playoffs. Johnson is MUCH closer to winning a ring in Detroit than he would be in Seattle or Washington (and it would never have happened in Carolina). He's in a great place and he's only going to put his family through that if the situation makes sense. I can't blame the guy at all. 

• Like 1