3 Body Problem, Netflix

MikeT14

anyone else excited for this? I liked the book but didn’t love it. I know friends that absolutely loved it though. 

the past stuff and the VG seem spot on, but the present day seems wildly different from the book 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

4 episodes in, and I've enjoyed this so far. Drastically different from the books, but it had to be. The books don't really bother too much with like....character development...and personality....and relatability. The books also had a tendency to wait until like, the moment was something/someone was needed or relevant to the plot to introduce them. And there's already been a lot of small foreshadowing and build up for stuff much later on, that never really occurred in the books. Like, the Mike Evans character shows up so late in the first book that it feels so random and convenient, and they make a point to introduce him way earlier in the show.

And I like the books quite a bit, they're just very flawed in very clear ways. Feels like the author is a scientist writing fiction more than an author writing sci fi, and there's both great and terrible things that come with that. This fixes quite a bit of that, though introduces different problems of it's own in exchange.

But overall, I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

21 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

4 episodes in, and I've enjoyed this so far. Drastically different from the books, but it had to be. The books don't really bother too much with like....character development...and personality....and relatability. The books also had a tendency to wait until like, the moment was something/someone was needed or relevant to the plot to introduce them. And there's already been a lot of small foreshadowing and build up for stuff much later on, that never really occurred in the books. Like, the Mike Evans character shows up so late in the first book that it feels so random and convenient, and they make a point to introduce him way earlier in the show.

And I like the books quite a bit, they're just very flawed in very clear ways. Feels like the author is a scientist writing fiction more than an author writing sci fi, and there's both great and terrible things that come with that. This fixes quite a bit of that, though introduces different problems of it's own in exchange.

But overall, I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

Be prepared, I think the show has a pretty drastic shift in like the last 3 episodes. It's not bad or anything....just kind of necessary. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Be prepared, I think the show has a pretty drastic shift in like the last 3 episodes. It's not bad or anything....just kind of necessary. 

Probably won't watch those 3 in a bit. Wife and I have actually been reading through the books the past few months, not knowing at the time it was going to be a TV show. I'm almost done with the third, but she's just starting the second. I did read that the last 3 episodes shift to cover some of the present day stuff that occurs in the second and third books, so we probably won't watch those until she gets further in. I'm assuming they're knocking things out more chronologically, rather than character by character...but I guess I'll find out eventually. Pretty easy to tell which characters sub in for who, though, and which direction some of them are already headed in.

This is definitely on my priority "to watch" list.  Whenever i have Netflix again.  Which is probably just...whenever i head home for a holiday or something.  Binge this at that point.  It looks good though, cast looks great.  Seems like the sort of scifi that i don't always really love...but also seems like it's getting the seal of approval from most people i trust.