2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

39 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Slay wont be on this team next year so im for sure not trading a younger talent in Rodgers. Also I think people are overrating Slay a bit. I know he blames being injured last year as why he lost a step, so we'll see how he ends up playing this year but I dont think hes a consistent pro bowl level talent anymore and his inability and lack of effort to tackle hurts this defense. Hes on a shorter leash as far as im concerned. 

This is definitely his last year and I don't think he stays healthy for a full season. He's not first 7 weeks of 2022 good, hopefully not as bad as the second half of that same year. 

But his presence as a veteran and to hold a starting spot for the moment is valuable, not that we could get anything from him in a trade to make it worth moving. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

Slay wont be on this team next year so im for sure not trading a younger talent in Rodgers. Also I think people are overrating Slay a bit. I know he blames being injured last year as why he lost a step, so we'll see how he ends up playing this year but I dont think hes a consistent pro bowl level talent anymore and his inability and lack of effort to tackle hurts this defense. Hes on a shorter leash as far as im concerned. 

Agreed. I belive he'll be traded unless he starts out bad. 

I'm not advocating for Rodgers to get traded, but looking at the Roster Odds of him getting resigned next year are SLIM. 

Mitchell / Ringo / DeJean / Ricks is the Future of our Cornerback Room after this season. 

2 hours ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Agreed. I belive he'll be traded unless he starts out bad. 

I'm not advocating for Rodgers to get traded, but looking at the Roster Odds of him getting resigned next year are SLIM. 

Mitchell / Ringo / DeJean / Ricks is the Future of our Cornerback Room after this season. 

Maybe thats an incentive for the Eagles to start Rodgers, on top of the fact hes had a really nice offseason by all accounts. If he plays really well this season then some team will pay him a lot of money considering he'll only be turning 27 next year and has played really good football for 2 teams. Could be a 3rd round comp pick.

4 hours ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

If Rodgers steps in and starts 17 gms , why couldn't the Eagles resign him as a "Veteran" type leader if indeed we are moving on from both JB/Slay? Is Ringo or Ricks the determining factor?

You viewing DeJean as a CB2? Slot? Safety? I mean unless Rodgers has an All Pro season, how expensive can he truly be as a FA given his past 2-3 seasons?

Let's worry about the trade deadline when it approaches. By then we'll know Exactly how Slay, Mitchell, Rodgers are playing. Whether any stepped up or suck. Whether we are on a SB trajectory/playoff run or selling parts. 

Not week 1 of TC because a 1st rd Rookie has automatically been given the job, but has to earn it. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

If Rodgers steps in and starts 17 gms , why couldn't the Eagles resign him as a "Veteran" type leader if indeed we are moving on from both JB/Slay? Is Ringo or Ricks the determining factor?

You viewing DeJean as a CB2? Slot? Safety? I mean unless Rodgers has an All Pro season, how expensive can he truly be as a FA given his past 2-3 seasons?

Let's worry about the trade deadline when it approaches. By then we'll know Exactly how Slay, Mitchell, Rodgers are playing. Whether any stepped up or suck. Whether we are on a SB trajectory/playoff run or selling parts. 

Not week 1 of TC because a 1st rd Rookie has automatically been given the job, but has to earn it. Just saying. 

If the Eagles truly like what they see out of Rodgers on and off the field and he plays the first 3-4 weeks as well as he has this offseason, then they would be better off trying to resign him as soon as possible as opposed to waiting till hes a free agent. Aside from the fact you might not be able to bring him back, but they might not be able to afford him because some team out there is going to pay a lot of money for a 26 year old talented starting outside CB as a free agent.

Ringo is probably that determining factor you mentioned. Eagles probably picture Quinyon/DeJean/Ringo to start next year with all of them being on rookie deals. It all depends on if they figure Ringo to be a starting quality outside CB or not.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't they try to re-sign him? Especially if he wins the CB2 competition.  It's not like he's going to get some massive fa deal.  There's no reason to let good players walk for nothing if you have the means to sign them.

19 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

He's easily going to be in the top 5-8 CBs available in FA Next Year pending resignigns/Franchise Tags. Age/Speed will guarantee him a good contract unless he gets injured. So his bottom Floor will be like 12-14 million APY. But could easily be in the 16-18 Range. You have a tremendous CB Room w/ Youth. Your not going to resign him. Ringo/Mitchell/Dejean will be next years starters. 

Quinyon needs to be starting, Point Blank, Or you are going to go through the same BS like we did w/ Nolan Smith.

5 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

He's easily going to be in the top 5-8 CBs available in FA Next Year pending resignigns/Franchise Tags. Age/Speed will guarantee him a good contract unless he gets injured. So his bottom Floor will be like 12-14 million APY. But could easily be in the 16-18 Range. You have a tremendous CB Room w/ Youth. Your not going to resign him. Ringo/Mitchell/Dejean will be next years starters. 

Quinyon needs to be starting, Point Blank, Or you are going to go through the same BS like we did w/ Nolan Smith.

No, he doesn't. At least not yet given the current roster situation and this season's expectations. 

The BS we went through with Nolan Smith is entirely different. Mitchell is already getting more reps with the 1st team than Nolan Smith ever did without losing a player. There is definitely a starting opportunity for Mitchell this year without severely impacting the CBs experience.

You seem adamant on moving one of the CBs right now, which I don't see how that's a good idea. If we were a rebuilding team that's an entirely different matter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

Why wouldn't they try to re-sign him? Especially if he wins the CB2 competition.  It's not like he's going to get some massive fa deal.  There's no reason to let good players walk for nothing if you have the means to sign them.

You're contradicting yourself here lol. Good, young players get massive deals if they become a FA. He could easily net us a 3rd-4th round comp pick if we let him walk. All of this is assuming he has a really good season for us of course. 

You don't let good players walk for free, but if the Eagles like the way the young guys look this season and Rodgers gets a big offer in FA I would have no problem letting him walk with the young guys we have at that spot. I do think it would be a very Howie move to sign Rodgers to a 2-3 year deal early on this season if he does start at CB2 and is playing well. He is going to pounce early if he can to lock him up if they view him as a long term piece.

Think we are getting ahead of ourselves here a bit though as we don't even know who is going to start week one yet. Still have a month to figure that out.

Trading a CB this season is dumb. Slay is gone next year. Injuries are bound to occur. I'd rather have too many good young players than be caught with our pants down midseason because we tried to be cute.

58 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You don't let good players walk for free, but if the Eagles like the way the young guys look this season and Rodgers gets a big offer in FA I would have no problem letting him walk with the young guys we have at that spot. I do think it would be a very Howie move to sign Rodgers to a 2-3 year deal early on this season if he does start at CB2 and is playing well. He is going to pounce early if he can to lock him up if they view him as a long term piece.

Think we are getting ahead of ourselves here a bit though as we don't even know who is going to start week one yet. Still have a month to figure that out.

Trading a CB this season is dumb. Slay is gone next year. Injuries are bound to occur. I'd rather have too many good young players than be caught with our pants down midseason because we tried to be cute.

Trade Slay get some value in return...Let him retire end of season get nothing in return...he decides to play 1 more year screws the whole secondary room or gets cut and still doesn't give any value...Only Logical thing is to ensure you flip him Anytime between the beginning of season or Trade Deadline. 

21 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Trade Slay get some value in return...Let him retire end of season get nothing in return...he decides to play 1 more year screws the whole secondary room or gets cut and still doesn't give any value...Only Logical thing is to ensure you flip him Anytime between the beginning of season or Trade Deadline. 

Ok what is the value he would fetch in a trade? 

40 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

IF Slay is still a quality starting CB then the value you're getting out of him is him playing for a team contending for a Superbowl. Nothing a team would trade for a 33 year old CB on his contract is going to be worth his play for JUST this season alone. Get what you can out of him this year and release him next year. 

• Like 2