Rank these HC’s in order

CP3MVP

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Tomlin has done the most with the least IMO. Harbaugh close behind.

I think the top 2 are a coin flip, but people are crapping on Tomlin unfairly. He isn’t the GM. How is “losing to teams that are significantly better than you” a black mark? His teams, especially post-Ben, have been crazy overachievers.

This years Steelers team should have been picking top 5. Instead, they made the playoffs. I hate PIT more than terrorism, but cmon.

Acting like HC’s don’t have a big say is the roster is definitely inaccurate. 

17 hours ago, -Hope- said:

imo, pete carroll is being underrated here as a guy who is part of a very exclusive club of coaches with a CFB national championship and a super bowl ring.

I guess I just thought we were considering NFL results. 

But even then, if coaches excel in the NFL I think most of these guys would excel in college. I look at Harbaugh and Tomlin and know with how they can all motivate a team and consistently reinvent their messages that they would make for great recruiters and motivators and would be able to build strong college programs and similarly win a championship in that era.

Now Payton, I’m not sure about, he’d generate a great college offense, but would his defense be good enough to win? He also demands players execute his system or he acts petulant and I can see college kids not wanting any part of how he operates.

McCarthy, I’m not sure enough about as a college coach. 

22 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Because those guys had a chance to win it all, which is what matters. McCarthy had a chance to win it 2011-2014. And this year. Payton had a chance to win it most years. 

Tomlin has not actually had a chance to win a Super Bowl since the 2011 season. These teams are all fluff. 

What are you talking about. The results disagree. They were such contenders that they had only one Conference Championship win?

People considered Dallas to be a SB contender this season until they got trampled in the first round by a 7th seed. They were a paper tigers.

Tomlin has the most championships wins here, so his teams proved to be contenders more often than the other coaches here.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:10 PM, Ray Reed said:

Sean Payton had a top 10ish QB of all time and has less playoff wins than John Harbaugh in more seasons, and Payton has never won a playoff game outside of the Superdome. Harbaugh has 7 road playoff wins for comparison. Payton's reg season win % is .620, Harbaugh's is .618. Payton has done nothing outside of Brees. Harvaugh had crazy success with Flacco and then completely reinvented the team under Lamar and has still been great. I'm struggling with understanding how most people put Payton above Harbaugh at this point

Struggling to wonder how Payton is above any of them. An outlier Super Bowl run despite having the best teams out of all of these coaches.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Tomlin is a solid coach, no doubt, but I just don’t see how you can have him above any of these guys all-time. He might have a winning record every year, and make the playoffs often, but how many of those teams were Super Bowl contenders? The 2016/2017 teams were not SB contenders. We all knew that 2016 team was gonna get wrecked by New England. We all knew the 2017 team was getting bounced early. Tomlin has not fielded a legitimate Super Bowl contending team since the 2011 season imo. If you aren’t a Super Bowl contending team, you’re playoff berth is not impressive (unless you are a young team on the rise… 2012 Seattle, 2023 Green Bay/Houston, etc). 

The other four coaches, when they make the playoffs, it’s a Super Bowl contending team.

The same 2016 team that lost to New England on a very controversial play that resulted in rule changes? That same team that would've been playing at home instead of the road if not for that controversial play? That team?

The 2017 teasm was getting bounced earlier despite being a 2 seed? And we "knew" that, huh?

It's crazy to post this and then turn around and act like Payton has had TWO contending teams since 2011.

• Like 1

I'll put it this way; there's only one other coach on this list I'd want for the Steelers if Tomlin were fired... And that's Harbaugh. MAYBE Carroll. Payton and McCarthy have coasted on the reputations of their HOF QBs IMO.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:
1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

Acting like HC’s don’t have a big say is the roster is definitely inaccurate. 

I don’t think they do. 

It certainly varies from organization to organization. They all have a say. Some have the final say and some are just requests.

Most are probably somewhere in the middle. Obviously a GM is going to listen and respect a head coaches wishes. Whether they like the value or not enough to pull the trigger is a different story. A coach may want to go all in but the GM knows he has to pay for his choices so he obviously is going to do what he thinks is best.

• 1 month later...