Lunatics Playoff Mock: Fields Edition

StLunatic88

I am making it clear in the title, this is a Justin Fields path Mock Offseason. I will likely have a Draft Pick path mock later in the playoffs (probably around the Super Bowl) but with things happening likely pretty soon (not Bears related) I wanted to get this one out now. I do think we will know the path around the start of March. Between everything Combine and the start of Free Agency, Teams need to know what they are going to do by then. 

I will make it clear once again, especially for those who only read part of what is posted, I have NO IDEA what is going to happen right now, I also dont believe that Poles & Co have made a decision yet either. Its all on the table, which is why I will explore both options till one of the paths is chosen. Both paths have merit to them, and I can see a path to winning for both. I will say, it is quite surprising to me how many people around here want to call Justin a bust, or say we cant win enough with him, but then immediately turn around and expect that we will be getting a haul for him, as high as a 1st Round Pick + more. I think if we do trade him, it will be something ok this year (Ive said a 3rd round value, especially if we wait through Free Agency, maybe it gets into the late 2nd range) and then some highly conditional picks in the future. That is all to be seen later, but I bring this up, because if he is worth as much as some of you believe to other teams around the league, then why are we trying to get rid if him? Again, theres no easy answer here.

Hire OC: Klint Kubiak SF - Passing Game Coordinator

I would like a guy with OC experience, but there is something to be said getting the next Shanahan deciple as well. Especially a guy whop can really improve the Passing Game. I think if Waldron watnted the job he would have taken it (hope Im wrong) but looking at the rest of the serious candidates, I just like alot of what we would get with Kubiak (feels like the Running game just comes along with the last name)

But on to the Offseason, the first thing I think we do is take care of our Star player;

Contract Extension: D.J. Moore 4 year - $102m ($30m SB/$65m G)

• This guys is a Top 10 WR, its time to take care of him like one. He has 2 years/$32m left with nearly none of it guaranteed. So make him the Fifth $100m Wideout, and do it before this Free Agent class resets the market once again. This locks up the rest of Moore's prime, and has plenty of room on the salary to help with the Cap in later years. This also keeps him with guaranteed dollars though year 3 of this deal. (SB+Y1+Y2+Early Roster Bonus for Y3). Regardless of who our QB is, DJ Moore will be extremely important to this team. [$5m increase to 2024 Cap Hit]

Cut: Cody Whitehair OL - Saving $9.1m in Cap Space

• We all know the story by now, I sill cant believe how true the Center/Snaps issue was, but you all were right. Im sure someone will like having him as their 6/7th OL for the Vet Minimum for the next few years, but you just cant pay him real money or count on him to play significant snaps.

Cut: Eddie Jackson DB - Saving $12.5m in Cap Space

• Most of the year I was fine with riding this one out, but the more I watched him in the last month, the more it was clear he was a problem. I could for sure see this being some type of major restructure if they believe he is a veteran leader of this defense, but it better be saving nearly this much AND pairing him with a young talent who is quickly taking over for him.

Cut: Travis Homer RB - Saving $1.9m in Cap Space

• I really did understand the signing at the time, but hes more of an extra ST guy you sign when you have the RB spot locked down and they wont really ever get a carry. And he was made redundant once we had Roschon fall into our laps. Im honestly shocked he is still on the roster, there is just no reason to keep him.

Cut: Trenton Gill Saving $960k in Cap Space

• We dont actually have to make this move till we get a new Punter, but he has been that bad this year that he just has to go. There are street Punters out therer that are just as good as him. It would be hard not to find an Upgrade this year.

Franchise Tag : Jaylon Johnson 1 year - $18.8m 

• This is just where we are right now, He is clearly a Top 2 player on this defense, and we want to keep him around. Both sides are saying all the right stuff, and this will likely get done later in the offseason, but doing it this way, also allows us some wiggle room on the rest of the Free Agents. We can then match up his 1st Year Cap Hit to fit what we need. Ive seen some say use the Transition Tag, and sure we could, but I dont think the two sides are that far apart, so dont let a rooter in the hen house here, and just hammer it out. [$18.8m 2024 Cap Hit for now]

Roster Re-Signings:

Justin Jones 2 year - $8.5m ($3m SB/$5m G)

• This JJ has been a solid rotational veteran on this defense, and my thoughts are that Dexter is on the cusp of becoming the Star, lets just keep surrounding him with the reliable guys who we know will do their jobs, and Jones/Billings are those types. He isnt likely to cost much, probably less than his last deal, so Id keep him around [$3.5m 2024 Cap Hit]

Mercedies Lewis 1 year - $2m ($500k SB)

• I really like having the 6th OL whop can also be a sneaky weapon. Doesnt need to run more than like 20 routes all year, but you can make those handful of receptions really count. Lewis was great for us this year, so Id just run it back again for 2024, especially if we are still thinking that we are going to be a running football team (something that has been emphasized) [$2m 2024 Cap Hit]

Equanimeous St. Brown 1 year - $1.25m ($125k SB)

• Some might not really like this, but let me say, he is being brought back as a veteran of this team now, not one expected to be a contributor or even make the 53 man roster. He can still block, and seem to be one of the guys who actually knows what routes he should be running, thats a leg up on most of this WR corps right now. Im expecting him to be the WR on the Practice Squad for emergencies, and we are tossing him a sold SB to be that guy during the year. Should be pretty helpful at Training Camp [$1.25m 2024 Cap Hit]

Josh Blackwell ERFA 

• Im mostly listing him here to emphasize that I dont think we need to bring back anyone else in our Free Agent pool (I guess maybe P. Scales, but it might finally time to move on from there as well) Plus you can never have too much talent in the secondary. 

TRADE: Pick #1 to Washington for Picks #2 + #40 + #95 + #224 + 2025 2nd Rounder

• We make the decision to go one more round with Justin Fields. The continuity, leadership and flexibility going forward along with the value of Trading #1 all tip the scales in this direction. So we then take advantage of the Newest Owner and their need to draft the Top QB in the Draft. And the overall interest in Williams by multiple teams drives this price up higher than I could ever imagine previously, but also these extra picks they have makes it easy for Harris to force this move (he doesnt want to follow one UNC QB with another as the consolation prize). So we get our own 2nd rounder back, the late 3rd they own, and a future 2nd (with the 7th tossed in). Its an amazing return for moving down one spot.

TRADE: Pick #2 to Atlanta for Picks #8 + #43 + Kyle Pitts + 2025 1st + 3rd

• Yes, I pitched this last year, and Im pitching it again this year, the DOUBLE TRADE DOWN. I wanted to get this out now, as Im not sure that when Belichick takes over that he would sign off on trading up, but who knows, Id have to re-evaluate. But this isnt really a HC move, this is an Arthur Blank move. He knows they NEED a QB to make this thing work, and make it work fast. Now Maye is the "consolation prize" in many eyes (although Im not sure I agree). So while the return doesnt seem as heavy as the one for moving down with Carolina last year, its still pretty close. Pitts isnt Moore, but he is a very talented weapon, who will now be fully recovered from Injury going into 2024, but they have spent too much on weapons and need to use them as value to get the QB (and as much as everyone wants Bijan, just dont see that happening). The full return for the #1 pick in 2023 will now be; DJ Moore, Montez Sweat, Kyle Pitts, Darnell Wright, Tyreque Stevenson, 2024 Picks #8, #43, #95, #224, 2025 Picks 1st (ATL), 2nd (CAR), 2nd (WAS), 3rd (ATL). That is a Heck of a wayto rebuild a Franchise in 3/4 years. With PLENTY of ammo left to go get whatever QB we could possibly want next year if need be.

Free Agent Signings:

Tyler Biadasz Center 3 year - $38m ($15m SB/$25m G)

• Ive made it clear, this is my guy to get to stabilize the OL. He fits perfectly and he can make everything easier on both his QB and the other IOL. I have been surprised at how low some of the sites rank him/forecast his next deal. Id be willing to go nearly double this deal to guarantee he is ours, but if all we have to do is outspend the Cowboys, this might do it with all the cap magic they need. [$8m 2024 Cap Hit]

Antoine Winfield Jr Safety 4 year - $67.5m ($15m SB/$25m G)

• With the newly opened up Cap Space from the Biadasz signing, I felt like getting alittle frisky. This secondary has massive talent in it already, but it has become so clear that Ejax is the weak link. So instead of just a solid upgrade, lets go all inhere. Go get the best Safety on the market. Not only is he a great playmaker, hes a great leader and field general. This would really help the turnover luck flip to something that we expect instead. Montez Sweat could have a massive year with this secondary blanketing guys.  [$12.5m 2024 Cap Hit]

A.J Epenesa Edge 2 year - $18m ($8m SB/$10m G)

• I keep looking at Epenesa and thinking he is just a menace waiting to be unleashed. So maybe we end up being the beneficiaries here in a prove it type second contract as he looks to really cash in. His size/length/power make him a great fit in this scheme in my eyes, and if you can line up up along with Sweat and Dexter, that should cause some real havoc in the backfield. I looked toward guys who I thought were in similar situations in last years Free Agent class, specifically Charles Omenihu. Thats where he gets a solid signing bonus on a short deal, but still has to really earn that 2nd year, but could also be a deal in year 2 if you can unlock him. [$6m 2024 Cap Hit]

Noah Brown Wideout 2 year - $13m ($4m SB/$6m G)

• I know everyone want to sign the biggest name WRs out there, but Im not sure thats the route we go. We have the True #1 in Moore, now we just need guys that our QB can rely on. We have one of those in Kmet, and then have also added another potentially massive weapon in Pitts too who will probably take up alot of the time in the Slot, as more of just a Big WR than a TE. So we add sme other guys who have shown they can be good, but arent breaking the bank. Brown fits there, as he had a great stretch this season before he got banged up. So we get him out there who can be another bigger target who can win in traffic. But he can also block well as we keep emphasizing that part of the offense. Its another 2 year prove it type deal, where we can get out of it, if hes not worth it, but doest kill us to play out the deal either [$4m 2024 Cap Hit]

Tyrod Taylor Quarterback 2 year - $12m ($6m SB/$9m G)

• If we go down the Fields route, we need a real backup QB, for a few reasons, First of all Tyrod could teach him a few of the veteran things he needs in thw quest of the '200' but he will also push him this year instead of a street FA who never had the chance to unseat him, and them most importantly, I believe with this Offseason, we should be pushing for a playoff spot, and in that scenario, we will likely need someone ready to play 2/3 games when Justin gets banged up, and Id trust Tyrod to steady any offense for a few weeks. If we go with a Rookie QB, we still need a vet backup, but might need different qualities. [$4.5m 2024 Cap Hit]

Rashaad Penny Halfback 1 year - $2m ($500k SB)

• I know alot of you want a Big Time RB on this roster, but Im just not convinced we are ever going to be spending big money there. I feel like we are more likely to have 3 RBs all getting 125 carries than one guy getting like 300. And if we are on that plan, Id like to take a stab at one of thes guys who I still believe has some of the most talent in the NFL. He just cant stay healthy. And thats fine for us, as we have 3/4 guys to take carries all year long. Penny is kind of the opposite of Foreman this year, where D'Onta was solid and you knew what you would get, he didnt have much upside, Penny could go off for 5 games of 150 each spread through out the season. And when he is hurt for 8 of the other weeks, you have Herbert/Johnson to carry the load. [$2m 2024 Cap Hit]

Richie James Wideout 1 year - $1.5m ($250k SB)

• Some might say why even waste the effort to type this out, but I do believe that someone like James could be very useful for us. Its about getting the advantage on the margins of each game, and a guy who can actually be an asset as a Return Man, other than Trent Taylor who just caught the ball, could be a huge swing in some games. And if we are on the verge of the playoffs, one or two games where his return can get us into FG range on his own could be huge. He also forces both Velus Jones and Tyler Scott to earn their roster spots (one of whom I dont think will be able to) as he is useful in ways than just being the 6th WR on the roster.[$1.5m 2024 Cap Hit]

2024 NFL Draft:

R1:#8 - Olu Fashanu OT Penn St

• I know most of you are fine with Braxton Jones at LT, and honestly, Im fine with him too, but to me Fine isnt enough to pass on a monster like Olu. The top OT spot keeps going back and for the between Olu and Alt, and right now Olu is the one slipping a bit. I ran 10 mock sims and Olu was available in 7 of them, so I feel OK with this being the pick at #8 right now (we need either both Defenders, or one of them and Bowers to go Top 7 for him to fall) Fashanu is an athletic freak, who currently wins too often on those traits, but he isnt some raw ball of clay that we are projecting either (ala the Greg Robinson's of previous drafts) its just what separates him and Alt right now. He would be an upgrade at LT from day one, a much better Run Blocker and I believe by Week 1 would be about on Par with Braxton as a Pass Blocker. I have said many times, to me Braxton is the best Guard on the roster, so sliding him inside I think we have a potentially amazing OL very suddenly; Olu-Braxton-Biadasz-Jenkins-Wright. Hats a Dominant Right side to run behind and a solid Left side with massive potential. Sign me up for that every day of the week. Any Offensive System should dominate with them up front.

R1:#9 - Rome Odunze WR Washington

• Im not really going to tell you anything you dont already know here; great size, amazing athlete, YAC playmaker. He still is pretty raw in some places, but its mostly teachable as well as things he would see alot less being the clear #2 opposite Moore. He is actually a much better route runner than I expected to see, plus he has some really good knack for finding himself open against Zone as well. Id like him to be alittle more aggressive at the ball, as well as completely get rid of body catching (its only seldom, like he has a mental lapse). He can be lined up wherever, and while not the best WR prospect in this draft, he may be the best option as a compliment to DJ Moore. Which also lets him grow into being a True #1, which he absolutely has the talent to do.

R2:#40 - Ladd McConkey WR Georgia

• Another WR? Yes, Ive said for a while that our WR Corps are dogcrap, so adding 4 new members is not out of the question. Completely flip it, and let Velus/Scott/Etc. fight for the final roster spot. Ive laid out my love for Ladd before, but there is a chance that he has he best career of any of the WRs in this entire draft. Guy has the savvy and demenor to be whatever you need him to be. He can line up anywhere, can give you just about any route, and will never be outfought for a ball. He may be alittle light in the pants, but that hardly ever leaves him at a real disadvantage when going up against defenders. He not only will be a safety blanket for whatever QB he ends up with, but he is a sneaky YAC machine as well. And as a bonus he can be your "reliable" punt returner if you need him to be. Imagine running packages now with Ladd as your 4th or even 5th weapon out there, that could absolutely tear a defense up.

R2:#43 - Kris Jenkins DL Michigan

• Here's a guy who is going to rocket up draft boards, one of those "they just dont build em like this" type of guys. Massive and a crazy athlete. A guy who can play on all 3 downs and will be a run stuffer from day one. His explosion at he snap with his strength is tantalizing. He has some technical work to do, and getting him in more of a rotation will likely cut down on some snaps where he looks like he doesnt have it some plays. But the real thing that will shoot him up the draft is the pass rushing potential. You can see it when he wins off the snap, but when he doesnt he is just trying to rush on pure athleticism and strength, no one has really taught him mush in the way of a Rush Repertoire. f he can add that, he could be special. Add him into what we are already have in the rotation, and suddenly we are scary up front on nearly every down.

R3:#75 - Sedrick Van Pran OL Georgia

• A tad later than youd probably expect to see him go, but I actually think he is slipping a bit with the other Center prospects coming out, who all seem to have higher ceilings, ads well as likely to get their quicker. SVP held down the Georgia OL very well, and is a natural Center (which is the nice way of saying I wouldnt trust him long term at Guard) but could be a gap filler at Guard if need be. The name of his game is power, and he does that well, but he needs to do the other stuff better. Needs to harness that power which would help him with angles, with better hand usage. Would likely fair best with a year or so of learning those little things since he isnt ever goiong to win with length, so he has to be precise with everything else. I see him as a solid extra IOL, with the sites on him being the Center of the future.

R3:#95 - Darius Robinson DL Mizzou

• DRob is one of my favorites to come through Mizzou in a while now (since Sean Witherspoon probably). Great mass, long arms and can line up anywhere for you. Guy started as a DT, but found his true game wrecking form when he finally slid outside. I feel like he could be the Dre'Mont Jones that I really wanted for us last year. You kind of have to know how to use him to get the most out of him, so not every defense will have him rated highly. But this scheme is a great fit for him. Especially as a situational guy for now. I think hes a Top 75 talent, but can definitely see him slipping, so we get to take advantage here. Another nice piece for a rebuilding DL rotation (so much better than the Current D. Robinson we have now)

R4:#111 - Khyree Jackson DB Oregon

• Jackson is a bit of an enigma throughout his career, but he has the measurables and traits that we seem to really like in this scheme. I think he could be a solid depth CB for us with his length and ability to play in multiple coverages. But I really think there is a chance that he is best suited as a Safety in the NFL. His down falls are sticking with the quicker guys while out on an island, and plays too handsy when trying to keep up. But when its all infront of him or he can stick with those guys, he shows some playmaking ability. Hes a decent tackler, not delivering major pops, but hes not making business decisions either. Great depth on the back end, with the possibility of being a big time contributor.

R4:#126 - Jaylan Ford LB Texas

• Everytim I watch Ford I feel like he should be a Day 2 pick, but everywhere I look has him later than that. Size, Instincts, Coverage, Hitter. I guess he isnt the elite athlete he looks like, and while he is quick he doesnt have the pure speed. I dont know, Ill take guys who can do all that on my roster. He may never be a stud, but I think he can be a good LB, and I think he could grow nto a good fit. Im not pounding the table here for him, but I think once we get outside the Top 100, hes a good value. Getting some good depth through the roster.

R5:#145 - Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin

• Another RB? Yea sure, in this day where RBs are a Dime a Dozen, I feel like taking shots on complete backs like Allen could get you a Home Run. Great size, good balance and power, and a young prospect with alot to grow into. To me he is at worst a reliable Goal Line back, but I feel like Foreman this year, hes not going to shake and bake you, but he can always get what is blocked for him. And when he does get to daylight, he has the gear that can take it to the house. With the way we go through RBs, Im keeping 4 on the Roster/

R7:#224 - Tory Taylor P Iowa

• IIs he probably gone by now come Draft Day? Yea, but this is more symbolic that we NEED a new Punter. How can you resist drafting Iowa's 2nd best offnsive player? (DeJean being #1) Guy was the best punter Ive seen in college this year, Id draft him anywhere outside he Top 150 honestly if we dont sign one of the better FA. The increase at Punter we can get on this roster might equate in atleast 1 extra win next year.

2024 Roster:

QB: J. Fields - T.Taylor

RB: K. Herbert - R. Johnsn - R. Penny - B. Allen

WR: D. Moore - R. James

WR: N. Brown - L. McConkey

WR: R. Odunze - T. Scott

TE: C. Kmet - K. Pitts - M. Lewis

LT: O. Fashanu

LG: B. Jones - N. Davis

OC: T. Biadasz - S. Van Pran

RG: T. Jenkins 

RT: D. Wright - L. Borom

ST: K. Santos - T. Taylor

DE: M.Sweat - D. Robinson

DT: G. Dexter - J. Jones - Z. Pickens

NT: A. Billings - K. Jenkins

DE: D. Walker - A. Epenesa

LB: T. Edwards - N. Sewell

LB: T. Edmunds - J. Ford

LB: J. Sanboen

CB: J. Johnson - T. Smith - K. Jackson

S: J. Brisker - Q. Johnson

S: A. Winfield - J. Jones

CB: T. tevenson - K. Gordon - J. Blackwell

• Like 1

a10-drinking.gif

I rate this a 10, right there with Ms Davis' rack

I'm not in the keep Fields group but this would make me feel damn happy about it still. Biadasz, Winfield, and AJ would be a coup. Fashanu, RO, and Honky would be a hell of a pick up (I like Legette a bit more than Ladd but they're damn close). Jenkins, SVP, and Robinson add a ton of physicality to a group that needs to take the next step in that facet (see week 18 for proof). Allen would be a solid pick up in the 4th IMO so if he falls that far then I'd be stoked. Seen him compared to Henry but I don't think so, he reminds me of a knock-off Eddie George (that's a compliment too).

Really nice work man.

• Like 3

Always appreciate the amount of work that goes in to these 👏

If we keep Fields then the double trade down is the dream...people say you set your franchise up for the next 4 or 5 years with a rookie QB deal...well if you can get as many resources out of one pick as this then you truly set up your franchise for long term success even if you do pay a QB (which we still wouldn't need to do with Fields for at least 2 possible 3 years with the tag also in play)

Would be perfectly fine with Kubiak at OC

Big fan of that FA (wouldn't sign Penny if planning on taking Allen in the draft...someone needs to play on teams)

Big fan of the draft apart from one pick...Ladd McConkey...I think he is good no double but I think the 2nd is a round too early...swap him out with say Malachi Corley and this would be a home run

Really good work here man.

• Like 1

👍🏻 

Love Tyrod backing up JF  !! PerFeCT 

I need MORE  at RB1

Not big on Pitts (maybe target their DL instead), so give me Bowers over Rome

I just don't see Brax thriving inside, but helluva swingT (no way he is better than Jenkins or even Davis inside) 

2 1sts & 3 2nds next year 👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by SLCbear

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

a10-drinking.gif

I rate this a 10, right there with Ms Davis' rack

Haha great reference 

I'm not in the keep Fields group but this would make me feel damn happy about it still.

As I’ve said recently, I’m not exactly sure where I stand right now. But there is a good chance that this mock I’ve been working on, and seeing this potential path forward is what has me holding onto the Fields possibility stronger than I thought. I will for sure take the draft route next to see how that compares and if that fully sways me one way or another. 

Honky would be a hell of a pick up (I like Legette a bit more than Ladd but they're damn close).

I do get that. Ladd isn’t a sexy pick by any stretch of the imagination. I just like the idea of getting as many “reliable” guys around Fields if that’s the way we go, and no one is more reliable than McConkey. If I had gone with someone like Tyler Boyd in free agency (would be more expensive than Brown) then getting a Legette type in the draft makes more sense

Seen him compared to Henry but I don't think so, he reminds me of a knock-off Eddie George (that's a compliment too).

Yea he’s not really Henry like, but the George comparison isn’t a bad one. I can see it. To be fair, Allen’s entire time at Wisconsin they have been a mess, and haven’t had the OL they normally are known for either. To me it’s a shot on upside, and maybe he puts it all together in years 2-3-4, especially with how young he will be. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If we keep Fields then the double trade down is the dream...people say you set your franchise up for the next 4 or 5 years with a rookie QB deal...well if you can get as many resources out of one pick as this then you truly set up your franchise for long term success even if you do pay a QB

Yea, with a mock this early, with so much uncertainty, I wanted to take the big swing here and really take a look at how valuable #1 can be, especially while putting an offense in place to accentuate the QB we already have on the roster. It may not be everyone’s preference, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could look at this return/offseason approach and not be excited by it. To me this roster turnover (as well as arsenal of future picks to possibly go after some other disgruntled star around training camp if they are out there) this team should be Playoff bound, not just a contender. Even if Fields is like 10-15% better due to just the OC/OL/Weapons being much better, that puts us on par with the rest of the Division

Would be perfectly fine with Kubiak at OC

I’m really starting to come around on him. And those who are worried about an OC bolting, I think he has more than a couple years of seasoning needed before anyone thinks he’s HC material. 

Big fan of that FA (wouldn't sign Penny if planning on taking Allen in the draft...someone needs to play on teams)

I get that, I took the approach that I did all the FA first, and then saw who was available in the majority of Draft Sims/other mock drafts. So I didn’t really plan on having them both. But we did need 4 actual RBs this year at times, and you can always stack the ST guys in other positions. Only 3/4 would ever be active in Gameday. And if it really comes down to it, we just move on from Penny out of TC (but let’s be honest, with our RB luck recently, one or two of them would be hurt at all times)

Big fan of the draft apart from one pick...Ladd McConkey...I think he is good no double but I think the 2nd is a round too early...swap him out with say Malachi Corley and this would be a home run

I get it, I really do as I said to @Sugashane, Ladd has just been one of my guys the last few college seasons. It’s likely the last time I mock him for a while, because as I think about it, regardless of who the QB is, I think the signing of Tyler Boyd (or similar) would be much more useful as the reliable vet #2/3 while we draft a high upside guy. 

6 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I need MORE  at RB1

As I said, I just don’t think you’re getting one, unless we completely change our approach. We had the chance to go get a RB last year and didn’t. And that’s before we drafted Roschon

Not big on Pitts (maybe target their DL instead), so give me Bowers over Rome

I mean, Kyle Pitts was an ELITE draft prospect at TE, not sure how you’d turn your nose up at him, but want to draft Bowers.

Besides that, there are really only 2 guys more talented than him on the Falcons Roster, and I don’t see a shot in hell we get one of them (Bijan/Jarrett). So you’d rather take a lesser talent?

just don't see Brax thriving inside, but helluva swingT (no way he is better than Jenkins or even Davis inside)

Braxton’s best traits coming into his draft year were his build (mostly length) and his power. Both of those things have transitioned to the NFL well, while some of the biggest questions we’re dealing with real speed, and maintaining pad-level/leverage. One of those he has done really well with, and it’s hasn’t been the speed rushers in my eyes. He’s not getting spun around or anything, but he has shown the consistency enough to me that he’d be fine moving inside. 

It also wouldn’t be the Braxton you see today, just like the one we saw in week 1 of 2022 wasn’t nearly the same as who we drafted. Guy works his butt off, and I believe he’s do the same for transitioning to Guard. You want your best 5 Lineman out there, and we would let them fight it out. (I don’t believe we can trust Davis to be one of those 5)

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Haha great reference 

As I’ve said recently, I’m not exactly sure where I stand right now. But there is a good chance that this mock I’ve been working on, and seeing this potential path forward is what has me holding onto the Fields possibility stronger than I thought. I will for sure take the draft route next to see how that compares and if that fully sways me one way or another. 

I do get that. Ladd isn’t a sexy pick by any stretch of the imagination. I just like the idea of getting as many “reliable” guys around Fields if that’s the way we go, and no one is more reliable than McConkey. If I had gone with someone like Tyler Boyd in free agency (would be more expensive than Brown) then getting a Legette type in the draft makes more sense

giphy.gif

Look at that smolder! 

ladd_thumbnail.jpg

Seriously though I do like him as a pick. I have him as a second rounder. And he would fit the safety valve spot more than Legette.

Yea he’s not really Henry like, but the George comparison isn’t a bad one. I can see it. To be fair, Allen’s entire time at Wisconsin they have been a mess, and haven’t had the OL they normally are known for either. To me it’s a shot on upside, and maybe he puts it all together in years 2-3-4, especially with how young he will be.

Also you look at what is in front of him. Johnson is a plus passblocker at least, but neither he nor Herbert are much more than basic threats in the passing game. So Allen makes it seem a little easier to let Herbert seek a bigger deal if he does well. I think Herbert is a good runner but he is so one dimensional it is going to be hard for him to do much more than be the lead in a RBC, but I think he is absolutely talented enough to be the lead of a RBC.

Plus I am always a fan of a bruiser who can get you a few yards. I'll always be a sucker for a power running game, especially if the OL is physically capable of mauling the DL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If this happens you deserve a contact extension

Haha I’ll take it. But in all honestly, I don’t think this type of plan is all that far fetched. We obviously don’t know what actual contracts will look like, but I left us with like $12-14m left in cap space before even getting Jaylon signed long term. So if we had to bump up anyone here that I’ve got in FA, we surely could.

Same with the Draft trades, nothing all that wild, more than I thought like 3 months ago, but with these crazy/desperate owners, I think it’s all in play now. 

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Well done, honestly can't see how it could be better unless Harrison slides to eight. 

I had to stay a little bit realistic haha. But there would be multiple options at 8 in a trade down, and at our own pick at 9. Especially if Dallas Turner and Terrion Arnold go in the Top 7 like many are currently predicting 

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean, Kyle Pitts was an ELITE draft prospect at TE, not sure how you’d turn your nose up at him, but want to draft Bowers.

I specifically didn't mention Pitts because of how biased I am towards him. I know it and don't give a damn.

I think he could spend a LOT of time in the slot and creating mismatches. Put a CB or S on him and run off his backside, if they put a LB on him then see if he can keep up. Best part, if you have a LB that CAN keep up with him, then you're taking him away from Moore, RO, and Kmet. He could move around and be the motion man to create mismatches all over and help the QB see if they are in man or zone.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:19 PM, StLunatic88 said:

1. As I said, I just don’t think you’re getting one, unless we completely change our approach. We had the chance to go get a RB last year and didn’t. And that’s before we drafted Roschon

2. I mean, Kyle Pitts was an ELITE draft prospect at TE, not sure how you’d turn your nose up at him, but want to draft Bowers.

3. Besides that, there are really only 2 guys more talented than him on the Falcons Roster, and I don’t see a shot in hell we get one of them (Bijan/Jarrett). So you’d rather take a lesser talent?

4. Braxton’s best traits coming into his draft year were his build (mostly length) and his power. Both of those things have transitioned to the NFL well, while some of the biggest questions we’re dealing with real speed, and maintaining pad-level/leverage. One of those he has done really well with, and it’s hasn’t been the speed rushers in my eyes. He’s not getting spun around or anything, but he has shown the consistency enough to me that he’d be fine moving inside. It also wouldn’t be the Braxton you see today, just like the one we saw in week 1 of 2022 wasn’t nearly the same as who we drafted. Guy works his butt off, and I believe he’s do the same for transitioning to Guard. You want your best 5 Lineman out there, and we would let them fight it out. (I don’t believe we can trust Davis to be one of those 5)

1. Penny is nice, the Wisconsin kid is probably SOLID, you've definitely added alot to the room, but imo If we keep JF there needs to be a bigtime THreaT RB1. Roschon is a bigtime 2, Herbert Penny very good very solid, but we need a guy that commands LoTS  of attention to freeJF up. A multiplier. 

2. Yes Pitts was an elite prospect. Bowers >>>> Pitts imho  but more than anything else, Brock Bowers multiplies Kmet and vice versa. Those 2 together will be a SERIOUS problem for DCs  

3. A lesser individual  talent could prove to be more important for us overall. Its more about legit building blocks and diff-making rotational DEPTH. As opposed to what Pitts may or may not give us, there's probably not a HUgE dropoff anyway. 

I really want to pair Bowers and Kmet, MHjr is the only WR I would take over BB and hopefully Marcedes can give us one more year. So ya I am probably a little biased against KP ha ha 

4. Braxton Jones is a Tackle. He is long and lean and moves well in space. If we put him inside to move bodies, I believe that he will struggle. This still would not stop me from taking a talent like Olu, he is about as can't miss as it comes  AND Brax would be an elite depth swingT, both these moves(Olu and Brax to swingT) makes us a much better football team.  I just do NOT see how Jones inside makes us a better football team.  

JC Latham makes ALOt of sense for us too,  he can play 4 positions and maybe move down again ha ha and get him, just saying. LoTS of fantastic OL options in this Draft  !!! 

Edited by SLCbear

Somewhere in this video (I was sleepily watching late last night or early this morning) they were talking about Biadasz  not being able to handle the big boys.

These are guys that watch every snap of Cowboys.

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Somewhere in this video (I was sleepily watching late last night or early this morning) they were talking about Biadasz  not being able to handle the big boys.

These are guys that watch every snap of Cowboys.

If he were perfect, he would never reach Free Agency. But he point is, in this system, its less about going man on man to "handle" guys, especially at the Center spot. 

From what I have watched, he is great pre-snap with both recognition and communication to his line. That is what i am most worried about with out Center for 2024. And post-snap I think he holds his own just fine, can reach block plenty well, and wall off even the biggest guys as he is supposed to. All important things for a Center. 

No he is never going to "maul" a NT, thats not his game, its actually not many Center's game anymore in the NFL. Its not 1993 anymore

• Like 2