Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

You weren't around for the Cowher teams of the 90's 🙂

Build a good team and then get your QB.  Still the best way to make it to the SB and win.  Steelers are more than a QB away from a SB.

Gambling $28M on a QB you hope will show enough in 1 year to prove to be a franchise that he has yet to show in any other previous seasons.  Quite a gamble and one I would not spend a 2nd round pick

Yes I was…not sure what my age would have to do with it.

You are able to do it either way…the Chiefs have drafted numerous people after trading up to get Mahomes…Trey Smith/Humphrey/Bolton/Sneed.

Elite QBs are pricey no matter what…like I said throwing a 2nd round pick and $28 mill In cap space is reasonable IF you think Fields has elite upside.

The Steelers probably don’t bottom out next year even if Pickett/vet QB blows cause their offensive weapons and defense is still pretty solid if healthy.

Then you have to trade multiple 1sts/2nds/3rds to trade up high enough in 2025 to get your guy.

Theres huge risk no matter where you go for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Is it true that we HAVE to pick up his 5th year option?

As far as I am aware, no they do not. 

Personally, I would extend him for 2 years, guarantee him his 5th year option money and spread it out over 3 years with the biggest cap hit in year 3 where it's cut or extend time. 

Something along the lines of a new 3 year deal (really a 2 year extension) for $50M, $28M guaranteed, half of which is bonus. So it would look something like:

Year 1: $2M salary + bonus money (about a $7M cap hit)

Year 2: $10M guaranteed + bonus money ($15M cap hit)

Year 3: $25M + bonus money ($30M cap hit, $25M in savings if cut)

You get 2 years, he gets more money now and security of the 5th year, with an out to be a FA if it doesn't go as planned or  a contract at Geno money which will likely be extended. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Personally, I would extend him for 2 years, guarantee him his 5th year option money and spread it out over 3 years with the biggest cap hit in year 3 where it's cut or extend time. 

Something along the lines of a new 3 year deal (really a 2 year extension) for $50M, $28M guaranteed, half of which is bonus. So it would look something like:

You get 2 years, he gets more money now and security of the 5th year, with an out to be a FA if it doesn't go as planned or  a contract at Geno money which will likely be extended. 

If you don't select their 5th year option, then you are allowing them to get even more money. A smart player wouldn't sign a garbage deal like that. His 5th year option is 20mill+ and if he the team allows him to get to free agency, he can command more.

3 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

If you don't select their 5th year option, then you are allowing them to get even more money. A smart player wouldn't sign a garbage deal like that. His 5th year option is 20mill+ and if he the team allows him to get to free agency, he can command more.

You can only command more if you are able to command more. Going to a brand new team and hoping for a one year prove it can take you from $25M guaranteed to a $4-8M flyer (but hey, it worked for Baker). 

You cannot like the deal, that's perfectly fine but it's:

1) giving him his 5th year option money anyway

2) putting more cash in his pocket in 2024 (would get $16M in cash for 2024 vs the $3.2M he is owed)

3) gets a $25M baseline to work off of if he plays well enough to earn it

That's the thing about the 5th year option, it's not the players option. Sell him on a 3rd year and more cash now and swing it as clever accounting play to surround him with the best players to raise his own value with 2 years of comfort to do so. 

If he doesn't like it, so be it. But IMO, it would be in his best interest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Yes I was…not sure what my age would have to do with it.

You are able to do it either way…the Chiefs have drafted numerous people after trading up to get Mahomes…Trey Smith/Humphrey/Bolton/Sneed.

Elite QBs are pricey no matter what…like I said throwing a 2nd round pick and $28 mill In cap space is reasonable IF you think Fields has elite upside.

The Steelers probably don’t bottom out next year even if Pickett/vet QB blows cause their offensive weapons and defense is still pretty solid if healthy.

Then you have to trade multiple 1sts/2nds/3rds to trade up high enough in 2025 to get your guy.

Theres huge risk no matter where you go for it.

Not your age but perhaps your memory.  Those teams were loaded with not franchise QBs.  Most QBs in the league are not franchise QBs.

IF Fields is a franchise QB.  I can think of 2 franchise QBs that were traded and then became franchise QBs.  Both were backups.  Right now, Fields is not a franchise QB because Chicago would never trade him if he was.  Would you rather pay a lot for a not franchise QB or a little for a not franchise QB?  How long will QB hell last with the former vs the later.

I realize you want to gamble on him.  Fine.  I do not think it is worth the risk.

If you trade for Fields, the decision for his 5th year option is May 6th ( I think).  So yes, you need to decide and IMHO, you must do it.

Edited by jebrick

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that exactly what the Packers did with Jordan Love? 

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t that exactly what the Packers did with Jordan Love? 

Yes! Similar concept at least. They gave him more money in 2023 with a 1 year extension worth less than the 5th year option, but with incentives to potentially earn more. 

It’s being made out that the options are trade for Fields and having him walk or pay the 5th year option…and that’s just not the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Not your age but perhaps your memory.  Those teams were loaded with not franchise QBs.  Most QBs in the league are not franchise QBs.

IF Fields is a franchise QB.  I can think of 2 franchise QBs that were traded and then became franchise QBs.  Both were backups.  Right now, Fields is not a franchise QB because Chicago would never trade him if he was.  Would you rather pay a lot for a not franchise QB or a little for a not franchise QB?  How long will QB hell last with the former vs the later.

I realize you want to gamble on him.  Fine.  I do not think it is worth the risk.

If you trade for Fields, the decision for his 5th year option is May 6th ( I think).  So yes, you need to decide and IMHO, you must do it.

I’m aware of how stacked those Steelers teams were at non QB positions.

Im not pounding the table for Fields but I would understand it and can see the upside.

I'm trying to watch Kentucky Center Eli Cox and was shocked by another player who immediately jumped off my screen. Kentucky RB Ray Davis 5'10 216 is special. He runs and catches the ball like Ladanian "LT" Tomlinson. The dude is electric and has great vision. He's quick. He has the long speed. He will run you over. He has great lower body strength. He has great balance. He can pass pro. He has solid hands and NEVER fumbled the ball in his 840 touches! The dude runs hard and has crazy ability. Too bad we don't need a RB. 

Edited by armsteeld
  • Like 1

Kentucky Center Eli Cox 6'4 311 is a solid player. He has the size and length that you look for in an OL. While not a smashmouth pancaker or even a drive you into the mud type OL Cox does a solid job of getting movement and maintaining control of his assigned guy. His pad level is good for the most part and he seems to have a strong upper body. I would think he's ok at getting to the 2nd level but he a tendency to not be overly aggressive going after 2nd level guys. It's kinda hard to explain so I'll post some games below. Overall, he seems like a younger stronger Mason Cole but he doesn't get abused by defenders. I was surprised by his film.

• Like 1

Hey @armsteeld some guys to take a look at (one of which is in my new mock):

Gabe Hall  DT Baylor  Reminds me a lot of Aaron Smith as a run stuffer

Trey Taylor S Air Force  Just moves really well 

Dallin Holker TE Colorado State

MarShawn Lloyd RB USC

Khristian Boyd DT northern Iowa

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hey @armsteeld some guys to take a look at (one of which is in my new mock):

Gabe Hall  DT Baylor  Reminds me a lot of Aaron Smith as a run stuffer

Trey Taylor S Air Force  Just moves really well 

Dallin Holker TE Colorado State

MarShawn Lloyd RB USC

Khristian Boyd DT northern Iowa

I watched Hall when watching Ika. I'll go back to see how he developed.

Holker is your classic older TE prospect who can move well. He was a menace vs Colorado. 

Lloyd reminds me of Breece Hall. I think he can be a solid player.

I'll check on Taylor and Boyd. You went deep to find them or they jumped at you when watching a different prospect?

17 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I watched Hall when watching Ika. I'll go back to see how he developed.

Holker is your classic older TE prospect who can move well. He was a menace vs Colorado. 

Lloyd reminds me of Breece Hall. I think he can be a solid player.

I'll check on Taylor and Boyd. You went deep to find them or they jumped at you when watching a different prospect?

Went deep.