Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

I’ve got Robinson as my 41st on the big board. I think he goes in the 1st only if some team is desperate to keep the 5th year or to get a DL on this draft. He’s a Base 4-3 guy with inside ability a la Justin Tuck IMO. 

26 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

No way he makes it to 51. He may not make it out of the 1st round.

Myles Cole has freakish speed and extremely long arms…wonder if he can add 10-20 pounds. Have you seen anything good on tape for this guy? Could he be a sleeper 5 tech…

4 minutes ago, rlon said:

Myles Cole has freakish speed and extremely long arms…wonder if he can add 10-20 pounds. Have you seen anything good on tape for this guy? Could he be a sleeper 5 tech…

I haven't watched him. Maybe I can take a peek at him later on.

Posted (edited)

These LBs are fast this draft. Payton Wilson is the fastest at 4.44. Nathaniel Watson has a 4.66. Dallas Turner has a 4.47. Edgerrin Cooper has a 4.52. Plenty of guys in the 4.5-4.66 range which is excellent speed for the position. 

Edited by armsteeld
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Payton Wilson needs to stay in the gym. He looks like a lanky Safety but as expected, he can run.

He’s not as stocky, but he reminds me of Chad Brown for some reason.

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

Payton's issue is passing the health tests.

I like Gray.  I think he's underrated.

He didn’t run as well as I expected. I expected a 4.5 guy in him.

9 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Cedric Gray 4.64, Kalen Deloach has a 4.47. 

Have you watched DeLoach? I’m curious your take on him. LSU game from 2022 or Clemson 2023 are his best games off the top of my head. He was a fun guy to watch get better and better every year until he was the leader of the defense and a complete stud last year. 

https://x.com/247sports/status/1705652475225616432?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

10 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Payton Wilson needs to stay in the gym. He looks like a lanky Safety but as expected, he can run.

Without a doubt he is the most instinctual tackling linebacker out there .  His ability to always be around the ball is the most reminiscent of how Bobby Wagner was at Utah State that I can think of since Bobby Wagner. Im not saying he looks like Bobby Wagner per se, but he is always around the ball. He idoled Luke Kuechly which also makes sense. 

He's a better linebacker than Ryan Shazier ever was at Ohio State. If not for his injury history there is no doubt we'd be talking about him in Round 1.

The injury history is concerning. I wouldn't be very comfortable taking him until early third with the depth/level of talent in this class. I won't be surprised to see him go mid to late second but would also understand if he fell down the board to the end of day 2.

He could win DROY and then disappear two years later due to injury.

Edited by JustPlainNasty

Honestly, it's the shoulder injury that worries me most with Payton.  It seems like it was really serious.  Knee injuries can reoccur through arthritis and we've seen that with Gurley, but there's also the flip side with Chubb where it worked out.  But that shoulder effects how he tackles.  His form in tackling looks way different since that injury and looks like he prefers to chase tackle rather than wrap up and hit.

• Like 1

So, here's something I can show I look at when looking at players:

DT/NT's - 10y split, broad jump, and bench. That shows power off the line and short space pushers. So some stand outs to me.

Kris Jenkins - 1.7 sec, 9'7"

DeWayne Carter - 1.72 sec, 9'1"

McKinnley Jackson - 1.78 sec, 8'10"

T'Vondre Sweat 1.8 sec, 8'2"

I picked two guys that were similar IMO for roles, Carter testing close to Jenkins as a 5T is interesting to me, and Jackson showing more than Sweat who has been rated higher is nice. They haven't done the bench yet.

Two IDL prototypes for comparison

DJ Reader - 1.84 sec, 8'3", 30 reps

Chris Jones - 1.69 sec, 8'10", 26 reps

EDGE/DE's - I look at 3 cone, 10y split, and broad jump.  What this shows is change of direction and burst off the line. So again some stand outs to me.

Chris Braswell 1.59 split, 9'7"

Cedric Johnson 1.61 split 10'2"

Adisa Isaac 1.64 split, 10'3"

Darius Robinson 1.73 split, 9'3"

Mohamed Kamara - 1.58 split, 10'3"

3 cone not done yet, but in terms of DE/EDGE Robinson isn't testing well, but he's upper 1/3 with DT's, so that might show he's better suited for the interior DL.  Isaac is the standout hidden gem here along with Kamara.

Two different EDGE/DE prototypes for comparison

TJ Watt - 1.61 split, 10'8", 6.79 seconds

Za'Darius Smith - 1.74 split, 9'5", 7.42 seconds

LBers - I look at the 10 to 40 split since it shows long speed, vertical to get into passing lanes, and 20 yard shuttle for sideline to sideline ability. Some standouts here.

Edgerrin Cooper - 2.97 sec, 34.5"

Cedric Gray - 3.05 sec, 35.5"

Edefuan Ulofoshio - 2.67 sec, 39.5"

Tyrice Knight - 3.09 sec, 34.5"

Jordan Magee - 3.01 sec, 35.5"

Ulofoshio is going to fly up media boards here.  Cooper's vert is a little disconcerting.  20 yard shuttle hasn't been done yet, so that will be something to watch. This is a really interesting group because in a lot of ways they are very similar.

3 really different prototypes here of athlete, all around, and run stuffer

Ryan Shazier - 2.82 sec, 42" vert, 4.21 sec 20 yard

Roquan Smith - 3.0 sec, 33.5" vert (never did 20 yard)

Vince Williams - 3.05 sec, 32.5 vert, 4.67 20 yard

• Like 1

If the Steelers had a NT, Edefuan Ulofoshio would be a good pick.

Fiske is a good player for the Steelers.  a typical 1 tech.  Can be disruptive and handle doubles if playing 2 gap.