NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

Louis Friend

26 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

So then they didn't add quality to roster so blame Holmes for this inept kicker and not going to SB? 

I do not understand why you are so nasty and toxic to everyone in this forum.  From the outset, we understood, this wasn't necessarily a complete team.  This roster was bereft of talent when Brad Holmes took over.  You can't fix everything at the same time and given the large number of roster holes, he has done a pretty remarkable job.

You said above that they didn't add quality to the roster.  I doubt anyone else in this forum would agree with you on that and I am pretty sure you couldn't defend that if you tried.

Have they added a PK?  Nope.  As stated above, when you inherit a roster with holes everywhere except LT and C, finding a PK might get pushed down the list of priorities.  Kyle Shanahan started with the 49rs in 2017 and they just got around to addressing it in the 2023 draft.

The good news is there are a number of very good PK prospects in the draft this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I do not understand why you are so nasty and toxic to everyone in this forum.  From the outset, we understood, this wasn't necessarily a complete team.  This roster was bereft of talent when Brad Holmes took over.  You can't fix everything at the same time and given the large number of roster holes, he has done a pretty remarkable job.

You said above that they didn't add quality to the roster.  I doubt anyone else in this forum would agree with you on that and I am pretty sure you couldn't defend that if you tried.

Have they added a PK?  Nope.  As stated above, when you inherit a roster with holes everywhere except LT and C, finding a PK might get pushed down the list of priorities.  Kyle Shanahan started with the 49rs in 2017 and they just got around to addressing it in the 2023 draft.

The good news is there are a number of very good PK prospects in the draft this year.

I was asking a genuine question. Nothing nasty to it. Whose fault is it they lack a quality kicker? 

my comment on quality is specifically about the kicker. Not the roster. Just didn't say kicker in both sentences. 

They obviously added talent to roster which I have said previously 

Edited by detfan782004

They played the whole kicker roulette all year. Then when pts are needed in the biggest game in teams last 30 plus years they can't rely on a kicker.

That is a major failure. 

Period. He can upgrade a ton of positions but if you can't rely on a guy to go out there and get your 3 pts all the other additions mean little.

It sucks that they squandered such a great chance. Like DC said this may have been their shot. He wasn't wrong. Windows are small. 

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I just thought about it but one of the players who deserves a ton of credit for playing well is Kayode Awosika.  He held up fairly well in pass protection and played well in the running game.  I think he had a much better game than anyone was expecting.  

I mean honestly Jamo had a great game. That flea flicker play I don't even blame him even though they say it was dropped pass.

i think it was a great pass but a really difficult catch. 

Just now, detfan782004 said:

I mean honestly Jamo had a great game. That flea flicker play I don't even blame him even though they say it was dropped pass.

i think it was a great pass but a really difficult catch. 

But also unnecessary cuteness by Ben. Run the dang ball 

10 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

They played the whole kicker roulette all year. Then when pts are needed in the biggest game in teams last 30 plus years they can't rely on a kicker.

That is a major failure. 

Period. He can upgrade a ton of positions but if you can't rely on a guy to go out there and get your 3 pts all the other additions mean little.

It sucks that they squandered such a great chance. Like DC said this may have been their shot. He wasn't wrong. Windows are small. 

It really had little to do with the kicker and more to do with the philosophy of Dan Campbell.  He has always played the analytics game and the analytics say go for it in those situations.  Unfortunately the execution didn't work out either time.  But I have no issue with them going for it on those fourth downs. We only attempted 3 FG's in that range all year and made all 3.  This was strictly a philosophy thing and it has worked for us all year. 

I have been through eight of these NFCCG losses since  I started watching as a kid (1990 season).  They all hurt, but after time it fades and you can look back on the season with fondness.  There are a lot of plays, moments, and games I cherish that happened outside of a championship year, even if the ball ultimately ends up bouncing off of Kyle Williams's knee in 2011.

There is no positive way to lose a playoff game, but I have found it is better to get there and fail than to be bad.   Congrats on a great season guys.  Good luck going forward. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

But also unnecessary cuteness by Ben. Run the dang ball 

You can't run the same 3 plays over and over again.  You have to take shots here and there.  We just didn't connect.  Stop blaming the coaches for the one or two calls that maybe could have been different and blame the players who have been solid all year that screwed up in this game.  We would have won this game if the execution happened on 1 of the numerous plays it didn't.  Then the coaching would have been fine and applauded.  

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It really had little to do with the kicker and more to do with the philosophy of Dan Campbell.  He has always played the analytics game and the analytics say go for it in those situations.  Unfortunately the execution didn't work out either time.  But I have no issue with them going for it on those fourth downs. We only attempted 3 FG's in that range all year and made all 3.  This was strictly a philosophy thing and it has worked for us all year. 

I disagree and think the kicker quality plays into those analytics 

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

You can't run the same 3 plays over and over again.  You have to take shots here and there.  We just didn't connect.  Stop blaming the coaches for the one or two calls that maybe could have been different and blame the players who have been solid all year that screwed up in this game.  We would have won this game if the execution happened on 1 of the numerous plays it didn't.  Then the coaching would have been fine and applauded.  

They were not stopping the run game. Run it until they stop it. 

If you run the same 3 plays over and over and they are getting yards and pts you sure can run it the entire game. 

SF was not stopping Det. Detroit stopped Detroit and Ben was part of that by going away from what was winning. SF did not stop it 

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

They were not stopping the run game. Run it until they stop it. 

If you run the same 3 plays over and over and they are getting yards and pts you sure can run it the entire game. 

SF was not stopping Det. Detroit stopped Detroit and Ben was part of that by going away from what was winning. SF did not stop it 

In the second half, first possession:
1) pass for 16 yards
2) ran for 6
3) ran for 7
4) ran for 5 yards
5) incomplete to Laporta
6) complete to Laporta for 6 yards
7) ran for 2 yards
8 ) incomplete drop by Reynolds 
That is 50% run rate. 

Second possession: 1 play run up the middle, fumble by Gibbs 100% run rate

Third possession:
1) Montgomery run for 1 yard
2) Dropped pass by Laporta, would have been a first down
3) Dropped pass by Reynolds, would have been a first down
33% run rate, two drops (execution) ended that drive so we couldn't run more

4th possession:
1) 22 yard pass to Jamo
2) 16 yard run by Monty
3) Incomplete deep pass to Jamo, tough catch to make, but went right through his hands.  Ok to take a shot on 1st down after a big run play. 
4) Incomplete pass to Gibbs, overthrown by Goff but he was open
5) 7 yard pass to ARSB
6) Incomplete pass to ARSB, poor play call. 
Only a 18% run selection but only really one play a run would have or could have been an option (second down after deep shot)

The last drive was pass heavy because we were down 10 and needed quick points and to preserve the clock.  

To me, it looks like we continued to run other than maybe one play call that could have been a run.  They also didn't stop the pass in the first half, so we continued to do both.  We were successful doing both other than execution errors by our pass catchers. Looks like great coaching if those guys make those catches.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

In the second half, first possession:
1) pass for 16 yards
2) ran for 6
3) ran for 7
4) ran for 5 yards
5) incomplete to Laporta
6) complete to Laporta for 6 yards
7) ran for 2 yards
8 ) incomplete drop by Reynolds 
That is 50% run rate. 

Second possession: 1 play run up the middle, fumble by Gibbs 100% run rate

Third possession:
1) Montgomery run for 1 yard
2) Dropped pass by Laporta, would have been a first down
3) Dropped pass by Reynolds, would have been a first down
33% run rate, two drops (execution) ended that drive so we couldn't run more

4th possession:
1) 22 yard pass to Jamo
2) 16 yard run by Monty
3) Incomplete deep pass to Jamo, tough catch to make, but went right through his hands.  Ok to take a shot on 1st down after a big run play. 
4) Incomplete pass to Gibbs, overthrown by Goff but he was open
5) 7 yard pass to ARSB
6) Incomplete pass to ARSB, poor play call. 
Only a 18% run selection but only really one play a run would have or could have been an option (second down after deep shot)

The last drive was pass heavy because we were down 10 and needed quick points and to preserve the clock.  

To me, it looks like we continued to run other than maybe one play call that could have been a run.  They also didn't stop the pass in the first half, so we continued to do both.  We were successful doing both other than execution errors by our pass catchers. Looks like great coaching if those guys make those catches.

Play 7 was that dumb play with St Brown at HB right? Yes no joke that is where the wheels fell off. Got too cute. 

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I disagree and think the kicker quality plays into those analytics 

So .3% was the analytics he chose to go off? Hmmm. Bold move or bad choice. Even analytics don't favor his choices much but I'm sure there is some out there that favor it more