NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

Louis Friend

23 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

One interesting Senior Bowl Prospect that might help solve that problem was LB James Williams.  He is converting from SS to LB.  He has everything you could want in terms of measurables.  Checking in At 6'4", 230 Lbs and 33-inch arm length, he would be a nice addition to our LB room.  Much like a number of prospects that are perfect for the Lions, he will probably go off the board in Rd 2 or Rd 3.

I was listening to someone talk about this recently. 

The only guy that has really made that transition successfully (according to the individual on the podcast) was Brian Urlacher. 

Knowing how to shed blocks and make plays while mixed up in traffic takes time. It sounds like it's much harder than we realize. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I was listening to someone talk about this recently. 

The only guy that has really made that transition successfully (according to the individual on the podcast) was Brian Urlacher. 

Knowing how to shed blocks and make plays while mixed up in traffic takes time. It sounds like it's much harder than we realize. 

I think Jaguars LB Foyesade Oluokun played S in college.  No position switch is easy but it makes sense for some players.  Some players who are described as playing Strong Safety are basically LBs anyway.  Based on the Senior Bowl reports, he seemed to settle in well.  Given the difficulty in finding a LB with skills, this might be a decent solution.

18 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Except they aren't crap LBs, they just aren't elite LBs.  If you want an elite LB you have to spend a lot of resources, either draft capital or free agent dollars, that could be better utilized elsewhere.  LB is the furthest thing from a need right now IMO with the resources we spent the last three drafts and adding Anzalone.  If Campbell and Barnes continue to progress, we should be more than fine. 

I just want a young version of a certain Lions manager that played LB. 

34 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

They expect Jack Campbell to be their MLB for the next 10 years. 

Agreed.  He wasn't Spielman his first year but he improved throughout the year and played out of position some.  I think with continued improvement, we can expect a very solid year out of Jack. 

• Like 1