NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

Louis Friend

This has been the most enjoyable year of football for me. This Lions team was not only good but entertaining.

With the disappointment of yesterday’s game diminishing I have to say that I’m really happy with every aspect of the team, coaches and managers. 

This has been a learning season for the players and coaches. Mistakes were made but you could see consistent growth all season and reaching the championship game was an excellent accomplishment.

AG takes a great deal of grief for the defence but I think he did an excellent job. You can’t ignore the areas of the defence void of talent and expect AG to have a top 5 defence. The secondary can’t cover without pressure from the line and they really need to add talent in both areas.

Overall the secondary was the biggest disappointment of the season. Holmes invested heavily in the off season with unsatisfactory results.

The future is bright. Hopefully Holmes keeps working to add talent to the secondary and defensive line while not ignoring the offensive line.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

This has been the most enjoyable year of football for me. This Lions team was not only good but entertaining.

With the disappointment of yesterday’s game diminishing I have to say that I’m really happy with every aspect of the team, coaches and managers. 

This has been a learning season for the players and coaches. Mistakes were made but you could see consistent growth all season and reaching the championship game was an excellent accomplishment.

AG takes a great deal of grief for the defence but I think he did an excellent job. You can’t ignore the areas of the defence void of talent and expect AG to have a top 5 defence. The secondary can’t cover without pressure from the line and they really need to add talent in both areas.

Overall the secondary was the biggest disappointment of the season. Holmes invested heavily in the off season with unsatisfactory results.

The future is bright. Hopefully Holmes keeps working to add talent to the secondary and defensive line while not ignoring the offensive line.

Glad to see you around. 

9 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

So resulting to personal attacks because you don't agree. Speaks more of you than anything.

Never said they were bad. I'm commenting on their choices in this game. More specifically their inability to adjust. They got out coached

Simple as that. 

"Horrid game manager" "just not good" "worst I've ever seen" "HS coordinator"

18 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Anyone who doesn't thing that gave momentum on the road to the home team I am speechless 

Dropping the ball when it hits your hands on 4th down gives them the momentum.  Going for it wasn't the issue, Reynolds failing to do his job gave them momentum.  They got even more momentum when Gibbs fumbled it.  Then they got more momentum when we dropped balls on 2nd and 3rd down.  The momentum was not because of the calls, it was because of our execution.  Thats on the players, not the coaches. 

Dan Campbell has been a great game manager this year.  His analytics are based in what helps wins games, and we got to exceed your expectations of wins because of them.  Those same analytics supported his decisions.  As I saw on Twitter, he is not gambling, he is becoming the house with the better odds.  Its just uncomfortable for people who grew up playing run run run punt style football. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

It was too big for the coordinators. They were overmatched 

Weird that they made good calls, they just had players not do what they were supposed to.  The players were overmatched, or in their heads but we had a lot of dependable guys not show up.  Not to mention Hutch didn't record a tackle, sack or pressure and we still were as good as we were in the first half.  The coordinators did what they always do, the players did not. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I agree.  It was tough that two of the CBs we invested in were hurt most of the year and Jacobs hurt down the stretch.  Vildor was cut from the Bears this preseason and ended up being our #2, its no wonder our CBs struggled some.  Sutton was asked to do more than he is capable of. CJGJ didn't get the practice reps to fully be himself down the stretch and he had a couple of rough games.  Mosely got like 4 snaps this year.  I am sure we will continue to invest there and hopefully add some real talent this offseason.  AG did a great job with the tools he had.  

Also the growth that many players had this year was impressive.  Guys like Barnes and Iffy who looked like wasted picks became mainstays of the defense and McNeil turned into one of the best run defending DTs in the league.  Next year is the third year in our D for Hutch, Paschal, Rodrigo, Kerby and Houston and hopefully we see some similar growth in the third year with them.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Weird that they made good calls, they just had players not do what they were supposed to.  The players were overmatched, or in their heads but we had a lot of dependable guys not show up.  Not to mention Hutch didn't record a tackle, sack or pressure and we still were as good as we were in the first half.  The coordinators did what they always do, the players did not. 

I agree with you.  This game was more about the players then the coordinators.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Well Anzalone is trying to lobby management to keep him. lol.

He is not great. 

He's got 2 more years on his contract and it would cost more than it would save to get rid of him this off season. He doesn't need to lobby management to keep him.