Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

Going to be playing as a player finally in a D&D game. I think I'm going to become a Gloomstalker Ranger and a Hexblade Warlock. Seems like a fun combo that allows me to live in the shadows and deal with darkness. I'm excited to play. I've considered a few ideas as well like a sorcerer or divination wizard are both strong options.

I think we're gonna start tinkering with character creation for Curse of Strahd this Wed. I'm really excited to start playing. I still haven't decided where I want the Tarokka cards to take us yet but I'll figure that out. I think I'm familiar enough with most of the map/characters to go pretty much anywhere. I even spent the last few weeks watching Dice, Camera, Action! to get a better feel for everything.

My biggest concern is all the tagalong NPCs that we're gonna encounter. I don't wanna DM and play multiple characters. I'm gonna have to find ways to sprinkle them in and have them leave. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a fill in to play for a session or a few while the NPCs are around. I'm toying with the idea of having players that die just take them over. But we'll see.

18 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

My biggest concern is all the tagalong NPCs that we're gonna encounter. I don't wanna DM and play multiple characters. I'm gonna have to find ways to sprinkle them in and have them leave. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a fill in to play for a session or a few while the NPCs are around. I'm toying with the idea of having players that die just take them over. But we'll see.

You can be pretty vanilla when you add these characters in. They largely take a backseat to the other characters anyway. I don’t think we ever had more than one with the group at a time. 

23 minutes ago, pwny said:

You can be pretty vanilla when you add these characters in. They largely take a backseat to the other characters anyway. I don’t think we ever had more than one with the group at a time. 

I don't plan on having more than one around at a time. But some like Rictavio and Esmeralda are pretty big characters.

Anyone play Arkham Horror? For someone just getting into it, is it better to try the card game or board game? I’d be playing with one other person the majority of the time.

EDIT - hope the answer is the card game because I just ordered it 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:49 PM, pwny said:

Anyone play Arkham Horror? For someone just getting into it, is it better to try the card game or board game? I’d be playing with one other person the majority of the time.

Two very different games, while they have the same theme, one is on a grander scale and a massive long game, the board game, while the other you can sit down and play through a single scenario in half hour to forty five minutes. 

I like both, but they both are very different games. The Card Game has a heavier puzzle aspect to it trying to limit the number of moves that you have to do, and feels like smaller mysteries, versus Arkham Horror board game which is bigger facing off against a single monster feel to it.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:49 PM, pwny said:

I think you made the right call. I have the board game and thinking about selling it and picking up the card game instead. 

Picked up Santorini on Amazon Prime day sales, was 50% off.

Also was out in San Diego, not for Comic Con, but went to a board game shop twice, first time picked up Fae after playing it in the shop. It's a fun little game where you are scoring different colors of druids by isolating them on the board. However,  you are scoring all the colors in the druidic circle that you create and you have a secret color that you want to have the most points. It's a good balance of strategy and trying to guess peoples colors.

Played Lucidity as well, it was an interesting game in concept, but the idea you are a dream walker and you can become a nightmare wasn't all that well done. Everything aesthetically focused in on the nightmare side of things only, instead of the slightly twisted dream world that would have worked better. I'd also say just okay mechanically. Things ran well, but nothing all that unique to it.

Then I went back to the game shop while waiting for family to get into town to hang out and decided to pick up Gravwell which you can play solo. Gravwell you are trying to escape a blackhole/singularity.  The trick to the game is that you always move towards the closest ship. There are some cards that repel you in there as well. So when playing against people, my assumption is that you are trying to figure out when they will go. To add into that, each person picks a card to play at the same time that have letters on them. Which ever letter is closer to the start of the alphabet, that person goes first, so you are trying to time it out well so that you don't end up heading the wrong direction.

Halfway through Charterstone now. I like the game quite well, we've messed up some rules that likely would have changed up the results some. It's tricky because I don't want to be control of everything, but it's tricky when the other people aren't paying as much attention to the rules. I like the idea of getting the recharge pack and playing again once I'm done.

• Like 1

Finally started Curse of Strahd yesterday. Saw it on Reddit and I liked it quite a bit, so I added a dog. I had it hiding in the music room. One of my players found and befriended it and seems quite happy to have him. We stopped after they found the stairs to the basement. 

I can't wait 'til they get to the altar. 

Once they meet Mad Mary, they'll find out that Gertruda's dog has run off...

Played:

Age of War (simple die game), Lost Expedition, and Mysterium over the weekend.

I'm excited for Tuesday though, probably play more Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game but also going to play First Martian. I'm only so interested in that game, but the mechanics are very similar to that of Robinson Crusoe which I have, so it'll be good to refresh myself on how to play that game.

Played First Martian, and felt a little bit easy. It was a fun game with a bit of a confusing set-up the first time, but I think that as a game it works well. I'd be curious, instead of playing it on easy and then medium to know how it would go on hard. And the person I played it with and I talked about starting, at some point in time, the campaign as I'm sure those are a bit tougher. The game works well thematically, I'd say. And while the mechanics on similar to Robinson Crusoe, from what I know, I think that the changes made make a lot of sense for game about the first base on Mars. They feel nice and technologically focused and the app integration definitely helps with that.

Also played the game Lazer Ryderz. It's a silly 80's VHS looking box, but pretty fun and silly. Worked okay with 2 people, but I imagine it would be a lot better with four players because you're playing on a table and it would be very busy with more players so a lot more crashing.