The Gnat

Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

Going to be playing as a player finally in a D&D game. I think I'm going to become a Gloomstalker Ranger and a Hexblade Warlock. Seems like a fun combo that allows me to live in the shadows and deal with darkness. I'm excited to play. I've considered a few ideas as well like a sorcerer or divination wizard are both strong options.

Also, heroforge.com is horrible/wonderful way to waste time if you are getting into RPG's, because you can design your character on there.

I think we're gonna start tinkering with character creation for Curse of Strahd this Wed. I'm really excited to start playing. I still haven't decided where I want the Tarokka cards to take us yet but I'll figure that out. I think I'm familiar enough with most of the map/characters to go pretty much anywhere. I even spent the last few weeks watching Dice, Camera, Action! to get a better feel for everything.

My biggest concern is all the tagalong NPCs that we're gonna encounter. I don't wanna DM and play multiple characters. I'm gonna have to find ways to sprinkle them in and have them leave. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a fill in to play for a session or a few while the NPCs are around. I'm toying with the idea of having players that die just take them over. But we'll see.

18 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

My biggest concern is all the tagalong NPCs that we're gonna encounter. I don't wanna DM and play multiple characters. I'm gonna have to find ways to sprinkle them in and have them leave. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a fill in to play for a session or a few while the NPCs are around. I'm toying with the idea of having players that die just take them over. But we'll see.

You can be pretty vanilla when you add these characters in. They largely take a backseat to the other characters anyway. I don’t think we ever had more than one with the group at a time. 

23 minutes ago, pwny said:

You can be pretty vanilla when you add these characters in. They largely take a backseat to the other characters anyway. I don’t think we ever had more than one with the group at a time. 

I don't plan on having more than one around at a time. But some like Rictavio and Esmeralda are pretty big characters.

Anyone play Arkham Horror? For someone just getting into it, is it better to try the card game or board game? I’d be playing with one other person the majority of the time.

EDIT - hope the answer is the card game because I just ordered it