2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

Justin Jefferson is entering the final season of his contract, but the Minnesota Vikings are reportedly preparing to offer him a record-setting contract.

"When this deal gets done, and I think it will eventually get done, it is expected to make Justin Jefferson the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history," ESPN's Adam Schefter said on Wednesday's SportsCenter.

"So it will be a landmark type of a deal, and I think some of the other wide receivers are waiting to see where the Justin Jefferson comes in before they do a deal because they know the size and scope of this deal that the two sides have been working on throughout the course of the offseason."

Yeah I didn't think there was any doubt about JJs future in Minny, but there were whispers.

Locking in a rookie QB this season was definitely part of their plan to keep him. Another Cousins deal, even just for 2 years, would have been tough to work in

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Justin Jefferson is entering the final season of his contract, but the Minnesota Vikings are reportedly preparing to offer him a record-setting contract.

"When this deal gets done, and I think it will eventually get done, it is expected to make Justin Jefferson the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history," ESPN's Adam Schefter said on Wednesday's SportsCenter.

"So it will be a landmark type of a deal, and I think some of the other wide receivers are waiting to see where the Justin Jefferson comes in before they do a deal because they know the size and scope of this deal that the two sides have been working on throughout the course of the offseason."

I believe the highest paid non-QB right now is Bosa at $34M? F giving a WR that + more imo.

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I believe the highest paid non-QB right now is Bosa at $34M? F giving a WR that + more imo.

Paying your players that you know to be truly and consistently excellent is the reason for getting the QB on the rookie contract. It's exactly what teams should do to take advantage while they can. Afterwards, the teams can and must look at cheaper options, but the rookie deal is the time to put all of the cards on the table. 

• Like 1

A lot of the recent high end WR deals are overstated and have fluff years at the end to raise the average value. Randy Mueller had a piece in The Athletic this week to the effect that paying WRs 30 mil or more didn't make sense. Colleges turn out good WRs every year so a good WR1 is much easier to find that a franchise QB or top DE. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

A lot of the recent high end WR deals are overstated and have fluff years at the end to raise the average value. Randy Mueller had a piece in The Athletic this week to the effect that paying WRs 30 mil or more didn't make sense. Colleges turn out good WRs every year so a good WR1 is much easier to find that a franchise QB or top DE. 

If you are talking about the tee Higgins or dk Metcalf types, sure, I could see that argument. but the few truly elite players like Jefferson, Chase, Lamb are not even close to easily replaceable

Edited by adamq

2 hours ago, adamq said:

If you are talking about the tee Higgins or dk Metcalf types, sure, I could see that argument. but the few truly elite players like Jefferson, Chase, Lamb are not even close to easily replaceable

I'd say they probably are. Between trades for players like Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, or DJ Moore and mid first round or later drafted guys like Jefferson, Lamb, Aiyuk, etc, it doesn't require great luck or resources to find a good WR1. There aren't any Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson caliber freaks in the NFL currently.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'd say they probably are. Between trades for players like Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, or DJ Moore and mid first round or later drafted guys like Jefferson, Lamb, Aiyuk, etc, it doesn't require great luck or resources to find a good WR1. There aren't any Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson caliber freaks in the NFL currently.

Agreed. I think the Packers are on the right track. Lots of young talented receivers, probably no A+ guys although we obviously hope a few guys can reach that level. I don’t think we’ll keep more than 2 of our young receivers on 2nd contacts and it might not be the absolute best ones. A cast of very good not great guys is probably easier to maintain than paying a great but not elite guy a top of the market deal. Break the bank if you have someone truly special who is also a great team guy, otherwise take the trade capital or comp pick and look for the next guy. 

On 5/24/2024 at 2:20 PM, Refugee said:

Agreed. I think the Packers are on the right track. Lots of young talented receivers, probably no A+ guys although we obviously hope a few guys can reach that level. I don’t think we’ll keep more than 2 of our young receivers on 2nd contacts and it might not be the absolute best ones. A cast of very good not great guys is probably easier to maintain than paying a great but not elite guy a top of the market deal. Break the bank if you have someone truly special who is also a great team guy, otherwise take the trade capital or comp pick and look for the next guy. 

Who would they keep

14 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

Who would they keep

None of those decisions will have to be made for at least 2 seasons but the standouts form last year are Reed and Wicks. The year before Doubs and Watson.  Watson might be a certified killer but hasn't had a healthy season in his first 2 years.  I think all of those guys take a step forward this year along with Melton and Heath. How big a step and how much we want to pay any of them a second contract is TBD.  I don't think we pay a huge deal to more than one if it comes down to it but luckily a lot of time left on the rookie deals as well as some new blood inevitably on the way means we hopefully have time to get a plan of succession going.