2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean, I imagine every player would want that list of things lol. Good luck finding all that in one spot, though. 

That’s what D-Hop said too and then went to play with Tanny 

• Like 1

Cowboys rumored to be letting Tyron Smith hit free agency blows my mind.  Not sure how you don’t give him a 2-3yr deal and let him retire as a Cowboy. Even with injuries he’s got 12-13 games a year at a top 10 level.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

No idea why Dov is putting out that Graziano statement now....he said that like 3 weeks ago in an article he was speculating on (he was clear he had no info, he was just speculating on the market). 

Feels like the biggest obstacle toward an Aiyuk trade is just the way the draft fell. Colts shouldn't be giving up #15 for Aiyuk....I think the Jags can feel slightly more justified giving up #17, but why not sign Ridley (not as good, but won't be as expensive) for a second round pick. Maybe there's a trade down from those teams first and then a trade for Aiyuk that makes sense. 

After that, I just don't see the fit...and I don't think that they are taking any package that doesn't involve a first. Starting at 20 it's Pitt (no), Miami (no), Philly (no)....Houston maaaaaaybe? But I don't know that they are making that kind of trade move....Dallas (no), GB (no), TB....the fit is there if they lose Evans, but I'm not sure they should be buying on that....Arizona would totally make sense, but I think it's unlikely they trade him within the division and they are not close enough to be making those type of moves, I think....Buffalo is interesting, but i don't know how they afford it financially. Also not sure that SF wants to improve super bowl contenders (same for Baltimore and KC) and the picks at that point may not be worth it. 

I don't know how interested the 49ers would be in say both of the Giants second round picks for him (those picks come out to around pick 19 so the actual value would be fine, but there's a big difference in likely immediate impact between those guys and a guy you're getting at pick 19). Same for Carolina...they have pick 33, but they probably have to wait until next year for another pick and Carolina shouldn't be making that move anyway. Just draft a guy. 

If they are going to move him, they already know it. They typically don't give out their extensions until july / august (bosa stretched into september). Warner signed end of July. Kittle signed in August. Deebo signed at the very end of July. They aren't going to move him after the draft where they aren't going to be able to get help for the immediate season while they are in a super bowl window. 

So if Aiyuk gets traded, it happens within the next two months. I don't think the niners make a move that seismic in a super bowl window. Personally, I'd rather move Deebo now, save 6.5 million give Aiyuk the bag and try to replace Deebo, but I don't think that they are going to do that either. Love Deebo, but you're likely hitting the eject button this year or next because I don't know how you re-sign him when the contract is up 

This is dumb unless the unbalanced formation has a legit impact on recovery rates (not 5% to 7.5%). I know that there aren't many surprise onside kicks, but damn...there's basically no reason to have a kickoff for three quarters at this rate given TB rates and whatnot. Left in the game just for the extra commercial break. 

*edit*

oh, this is part of a much larger rule. Much better detail from Breer. Thread starts here: 

Do not at all like that a touchback now gets put at the 35, but I think that's designed to make the kicking team just not boom it. It's supposed to be a punishment (only goes to the 20 if the receiving team let's it role in)

Edited by Forge

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This will be important because it'll tell them how far apart they are to know whether or not they have to trade him by the draft. 

There are also reports that the Bengals might trade Tee Higgins as well. 

I'd imagine that teams like Cardinals, Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, Titans, Giants, Patriots etc. would be potential suitors with late 1st / early 2nd round picks.

I wonder if the fact that this is probably the best receiver class in NFL history will diminish the trade value of Ayiuk and/or Higgins? I know both are good, young, proven commodities but they're due to get paid and you could just keep that draft capital and invest it on a receiver that will be cost controlled instead.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I wonder if the fact that this is probably the best receiver class in NFL history will diminish the trade value of Ayiuk and/or Higgins? I know both are good, young, proven commodities but they're due to get paid and you could just keep that draft capital and invest it on a receiver that will be cost controlled instead.

It definitely doesn't help. Especially with guys like Higgins and Pittman, who I like but I don't think are true #1s. I don't think they are Diggs guys who have another level to them that is just being suppressed by situation. You can get away with them as your #1 if you're good at 2 and 3 as well, but I they aren't "that dude".

And if you're talking about using that asset on a guy I think is a high end #2 at full market value, I think I'd rather just gamble the rookie on the under market contract, particularly given how well rookie receivers have been translating in recent years. 

• Like 1