Year End Awards Finalists Revealed

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

They messed up a little bit in that they didn't exclude playoffs when pulling data from PFF. They used Regular season + postseason. 

Also, damn Bosa and Hutch were snake bit this year. 

They had 36 and 33 QB hits respectively. 

PFF charted them at 95 and 101 total pressures 

16 and 14 TFL. 

2 and 3 FF. 

60 and 67 Hurries charted by PFF. 

All of their numbers are right in line with these three, yet somehow they only ended up with 10.5 and 11.5 sacks as opposed to 14+ 

A player can fade away for 1/3 of the year (Garrett for 6 games) and still win DPOY.

You can't tell me that there wasn't a defender whose consistency + impact for 17 games wasn't higher. This just feels like there's room for data collection and analysis to grow, and until then, media narratives play their (big) role.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

McVay not finishing top 5 is kind of crazy 

I thought that at first, too, but who would you take out for him?  All 5 have a decent claim.  Maybe Kyle even?  Kyle and John have the number 1 seeds, which normally matters, even if they both kind of achieved the expectation.  I think there is 5 slots for 6 solid candidates, so someone had to go.  Tomlin and McDaniel are probably next after those 6, and wouldn't seem crazy to be named top 5 either.  Coach of the year is always a tough one.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I thought that at first, too, but who would you take out for him?  All 5 have a decent claim.  Maybe Kyle even?  Kyle and John have the number 1 seeds, which normally matters, even if they both kind of achieved the expectation.  I think there is 5 slots for 6 solid candidates, so someone had to go.  Tomlin and McDaniel are probably next after those 6, and wouldn't seem crazy to be named top 5 either.  Coach of the year is always a tough one.  

I would have McVay over Kyle, most likely, but honestly I think you can make a case that McVay deserves to win the award just as well as you can that he should finish 6th, and for that reason I really don't care who they would have taken out. 

• Like 2