2016 Falcons

Towerbridge

5 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I think Justin Tuck getting healthy towards the end of the year was a big reason the defense played well in the playoffs. Osi also missed the first 6 games of the season.

But yeah, our defense still wasn't on the same level as 2007. That team was good in the regular season and brilliant in the playoffs.

Who was even in that Pats defense? Declining Wilfork and a young McCourty having a sophomore slump? Patrick Chung? There's a reason why no one was shocked that the Giants won, because that was one of Bill's weaker teams.

New England was particularly awful at defending the pass. They gave up 416 yards to Chad Henne, 400 yards to Vince Young, 373 yards to Dan Orlovsky, 344 yards to Jason Campbell, 369 yards to Ryan Fitzpatrick, hell even Mark Sanchez had a 300+ day against them that year. 

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

I remember falcons fans saying the defense was underrated because they allowed a lot of yards and touchdowns in garbage time  because of the offense 

Their is no way thats true because by then we all knew and were blasting Quinn on a daily on how bad his defenses were for us.  You heard like 1 dude say it and had to take that as word for all of us or something.  We absolutely HATEDDDDDDDDD Quinn and his defense at that point in time.  I remember so many threads on the Falcons official website message boards talking about Shanny should be the HC and Quinn should be fired during that 2016 run.

2011 Pats had guys like Antwuan Molden, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman, Sergio Brown, and James Ihedigbo playing in the secondary. Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher at LB. Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, and Kyle Love on DL.

That defense was atrocious. Survived off of random picks by Kyle Arrington, and Mark Anderson/Andre Carter randomly getting sacks.

28 minutes ago, Soko said:

2011 Pats had guys like Antwuan Molden, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman, Sergio Brown, and James Ihedigbo playing in the secondary. Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher at LB. Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, and Kyle Love on DL.

That defense was atrocious. Survived off of random picks by Kyle Arrington, and Mark Anderson/Andre Carter randomly getting sacks.

On the other hand they had near-peak Brady, peak Gronk/Hernandez, and Welker.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

On the other hand they had near-peak Brady, peak Gronk/Hernandez, and Welker.

Isn’t this a thread about bad SB defenses? What’s the point? Obviously the 2011 Patriots were stacked offensively, although lacking a deep threat.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:19 PM, Towerbridge said:

That defense was actually worse than I thought. 27th ranked and they almost pulled it off. Amazing they won 11 games.  I doubt we will ever see a worse defense in a Super Bowl 

Oh, it was a young defense. Not a good one. But they got better the next year. It definitely couldn't get off the field at all on 3rd downs. That was frustrating. 

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Their is no way thats true because by then we all knew and were blasting Quinn on a daily on how bad his defenses were for us.  You heard like 1 dude say it and had to take that as word for all of us or something.  We absolutely HATEDDDDDDDDD Quinn and his defense at that point in time.  I remember so many threads on the Falcons official website message boards talking about Shanny should be the HC and Quinn should be fired during that 2016 run.

When bill Barnwell brought up how they sucked like dead last at defending YAC in his Super Bowl preview falcons fans were saying that lol. The nfc title game was cited how the packers offense basically didn’t do anything until the score was out of hand.

Remember it was 31-0 nothing in the third then the packers  got some backdoor scoring against soft defense

Edited by CP3MVP

6 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

When bill Barnwell brought up how they sucked like dead last at defending YAC in his Super Bowl preview falcons fans were saying that lol. The nfc title game was cited how the packers offense basically didn’t do anything until the score was out of hand.

Remember it was 31-0 nothing in the third then the packers  got some backdoor scoring against soft defense

I can 100% promise you that wasn't the majority of Falcon fans it had to be a very select few.  In Atlanta we absolutely did not like Quinn calling the defense at that point.  I work in a sports store and have for 15+ years. This is literally my daily life is to talk about this stuff and between real life talks from the people of Atlanta, our radio stations, and the falcons message board.  It was almost aceepted by the full fan base we wanted Shanny to take over at that point and to fire quinn.   Im not sure who that group on Barnwells thing was but they might be the dumbest group of our fan base possible  if thats what they were really saying lol.   We actually did have some talent on defense then but Quinn was crapping the bed with that talent left and right.

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

Oh, it was a young defense. Not a good one. But they got better the next year. It definitely couldn't get off the field at all on 3rd downs. That was frustrating. 

They got better because Quinn quit calling plays in 2017 he let Marquan take it over which led us to a top 8 defense in YPG and PPG in 2017.  Im pretty sure in 2018 Quinn took play calling duties  back over if im not mistaken from Manuel and we dropped right back into the late 20's.   Quinn just couldn't handle both HC and DC it was to much on his plate same as Arthur Smith.  I still think both of them are good coordinators and could be good HC's if they would just do 1 or the other and not overwhelm themselves.