2016 Falcons

Towerbridge

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

The 2011 Giants were ranked 25th in defensive ppg. They had a -6 point differential. The worst ever for a SB winner.

2011 was an odd season. Both top seeds were at the bottom in yards allowed while the evential Super Bowl winner was 9-7 and had a negative point differential.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

The 2011 Giants were ranked 25th in defensive ppg. They had a -6 point differential. The worst ever for a SB winner.

Was that a health thing though? Because those boys on defense came to play in the playoffs lol 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was that a health thing though? Because those boys on defense came to play in the playoffs lol 

I think the '06 Colts also had injury issues on the defense. 'Cause they were mediocre defensively in the regular season and historically bad at stopping the run. But the playoffs were a different story.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

I think the '06 Colts also had injury issues on the defense. 'Cause they were mediocre defensively in the regular season and historically bad at stopping the run. But the playoffs were a different story.

I remember one of the narratives was that Larry Johnson would run wild on them. He did not. 

42 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Bob Sanders - you only got him for like 3 games a year, but it was always worth it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

17 hours ago, Forge said:

I was at the Ravens-Colts playoff game and couldn't believe how well they shut down the Ravens. That Ravens D was great and did their job on them

Even the "bad" defenses mentioned like Peyton's Colts and Eli's Giants had insane defensive ends. Maybe pressure wins championships given the de-emphasis on run games other than clock management. Like when Shanahan had SB leads and should have ran the ball to end the game quicker.

3 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I remember falcons fans saying the defense was underrated because they allowed a lot of yards and touchdowns in garbage time  because of the offense 

Lol underrated. No they are rated correctly.  The Superbowl showed that 

20 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

2011 was an odd season. Both top seeds were at the bottom in yards allowed while the evential Super Bowl winner was 9-7 and had a negative point differential.

I think Justin Tuck getting healthy towards the end of the year was a big reason the defense played well in the playoffs. Osi also missed the first 6 games of the season.

But yeah, our defense still wasn't on the same level as 2007. That team was good in the regular season and brilliant in the playoffs.

Who was even in that Pats defense? Declining Wilfork and a young McCourty having a sophomore slump? Patrick Chung? There's a reason why no one was shocked that the Giants won, because that was one of Bill's weaker teams.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1