Super Bowl LVIII: Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Chiefs or 49ers  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Super Bowl 58?

• Chiefs
    • 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/2024 at 11:30 PM

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Obviously I don't know if I'd go with that from a pure stylistic viewpoint, but Brunell did have some really good years in there. I think you could just as easily say someone like Jeff Garcia as well.  I don't think that's inherently bad or anything. 

I mean, Purdy could be better than that. I've mentioned it before, but in theory there's really nothing that would prevent him from being Joe Burrow, though he's probably not going to be Joe Burrow lol. I think that's asking a lot for someone to be at the very top of their range. But progression is really hard to predict. Purdy could get better, he could not from here on moving forward. 

Honestly, QB progression is basically random. At least from our vantage point as an outside observer. Like, Josh Allen's development made no sense. Jared Goff was coddled by McVay and we all thought that was all he'd ever be, and he's actually developed since in Detroit, legitimately. And then like Derek Carr planted his flag at dead average from the start of his career, gave one brief indication he was going to step forward, then said nah, I was more comfortable where I was, and spent a decade being the perfect representation of okay.

So I'm not going to pretend to be able to predict it anymore. I went 50/50 this year with my predictions that Love and Ridder both were who they were at midseason and both were a waste of time. One had arguably the best second half of the season of any QB in football, one got benched for Taylor Heinicke and we all agreed that that was a sensible thing to do. Couldn't tell you the difference, there. One stopped missing throws, the other crawled further into his shell. And the one that improved arguably had worse weapons, was worse in college (at least statistically, I don't watch that much college ball.)

So I dunno. Purdy could be Burrow. Could be Brady for all I know. Maybe he's Jared Goff, or this is what Derek Carr would've looked like in a less pathetic situation. Who knows?

I do think, regardless, he's good enough to win with the current talent. And that should be all that matters for San Fran right now.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Hard to blame the Chiefs. San Fran’s issue with the practice field is San Fran’s issue. 

Yeah, typically shoddy job by the NFL.

I think highly enough of both organizations that I'm not suggesting anything sketchy would occur, but I would definitely not be fond of the idea of sharing a practice facility leading up to the Superbowl, if I were KC.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, QB progression is basically random. At least from our vantage point as an outside observer. Like, Josh Allen's development made no sense. Jared Goff was coddled by McVay and we all thought that was all he'd ever be, and he's actually developed since in Detroit, legitimately. And then like Derek Carr planted his flag at dead average from the start of his career, gave one brief indication he was going to step forward, then said nah, I was more comfortable where I was, and spent a decade being the perfect representation of okay.

So I'm not going to pretend to be able to predict it anymore. I went 50/50 this year with my predictions that Love and Ridder both were who they were at midseason and both were a waste of time. One had arguably the best second half of the season of any QB in football, one got benched for Taylor Heinicke and we all agreed that that was a sensible thing to do. Couldn't tell you the difference, there. One stopped missing throws, the other crawled further into his shell. And the one that improved arguably had worse weapons, was worse in college (at least statistically, I don't watch that much college ball.)

So I dunno. Purdy could be Burrow. Could be Brady for all I know. Maybe he's Jared Goff, or this is what Derek Carr would've looked like in a less pathetic situation. Who knows?

I do think, regardless, he's good enough to win with the current talent. And that should be all that matters for San Fran right now.

Great take and I agree everywhere here which is why I just judge based on the information I have to date and it's why I am so frustratingly obtuse when it comes to projections and subjective expectations.

Like, I tell people all the time that I am never wrong.

Its not because I'm some Nostradamus genius, but because I have this incredibly rare ability to simply not get married to takes. When I realize I'm wrong, I just change my position and then BOOM!, I'm not wrong any more.

So, while I may be wrong almost 1000x a day, I just don't stay committed to it. And as long as I always do that, then I'm never wrong lol.

It's like so many people worry so much about being proven right eventually that they forget to be right today.

But conversely, do understand that while I may have been "right" to date on Purdy, for example, since I've been stanning him all year, if he sucks going forward then I'll flush him faster than my first goldfish. There's no loyalty around here. 

Still trying to figure out why no one will date me tho.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

lol Roger said it’s a go apparently 

Yeah, reports are that it registered high 40s - 50 in terms of hardness. There is no NFL playing surface in the NFL softer than like a 70, I believe, with the average being about 77. 

They apparently just put sod over turf with no base. Brand new sod (was supposed to be laid in December, they did it last week). There were seams on the field, etc. Just sounds like a craptastic job. 

I assume it's an injury concern for the niners, but if there are no injuries, I don't know what kind of impact it has? I can't imagine anything major. I get the injury concerns, but otherwise I don't know what it really matters in 

If someone on the niners ends up with like a torn ACL in practice though, that's going to be a brutal look for the NFL. Just atrocious

On 2/1/2024 at 9:28 PM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Sounds like he's laying the foundation for excuses if they lose.

Bosa says they hold a lot, the 49rs are on the short end of the practice field, the foundation of excuses by the 49rs are starting to mount!

A shame, the best, or at minimum second best team in NFL has to resort to this!!

Go NFC 

10 minutes ago, Ripline said:

Bosa says they hold a lot, the 49rs are on the short end of the practice field, the foundation of excuses by the 49rs are starting to mount!

A shame, the best, or at minimum second best team in NFL has to resort to this!!

Go NFC 

You know who led the league in holding penalties this year? I'll give you a hint, they are playing in this game and it's not the niners. 

Bosa pretty much just stating a fact which a KC fan acknowledged when posting that quote. 

I'd be more open to the excuse idea if it were someone besides Bosa. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

You know who led the league in holding penalties this year? I'll give you a hint, they are playing in this game and it's not the niners. 

Bosa pretty much just stating a fact which a KC fan acknowledged when posting that quote 

Then obviously, the refs are watching the chiefs for holding and it is a non-issue by your own words!

Therefore the 9ers should worry about it...

1 minute ago, Ripline said:

Then obviously, the refs are watching the chiefs for holding and it is a non-issue by your own words!

Therefore the 9ers should worry about it...

Who said it was an issue?