Pre-Senior Bowl Mock

AZBearsFan

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

FA pending obviously, but I think the Titans for sure (in my mock I had them taking Fashanu, who I have slightly ahead of Alt). I think the Chargers more 50/50 since they may lose Allen to cap issues and Williams is coming off an ACL. Bowers makes a ton of sense to me there given Harbaugh’s style of play. I don’t think any of the top 4 take an OT, and both ATL and NYG have both OTs locked in already IMO. 

I agree the Chargers are the real swing pick...as much as I think Harbaugh would love Brock I just can't see him not valuing a quality OL above all else and RT is a massive hole for them...free agency like you said could change everything...

Interesting point about them cutting guys...how Tom Telesco got another job so quick is beyond me when the Chargers have 4 players due over $32 million each...and one of those guys is not Herbert.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I can see that thinking for sure...I guess I just hope we no longer need an edge since the FA class is really strong this offseason...hopefully we bring in two new edge players early in FA.

FA is gonna be massive. i personally would love to see Hunter opposite sweat, and i think we could make a 3 year high AAV work. if they use their cap to splurge on one of the DTs in this class too, could also see DE bump down the board a little bit.

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

FA is gonna be massive. i personally would love to see Hunter opposite sweat, and i think we could make a 3 year high AAV work. if they use their cap to splurge on one of the DTs in this class too, could also see DE bump down the board a little bit.

I think looking at Flus’ history he hasn’t had big name DEs and prefers a rotation up front…I would like to see us target both Epenesa & Armstrong…two guys that will make $7-$11 million each rather than Hunter who would make like $20 million on his own…if we are going to go all out and spend $20 million a year then Brian Burns would be an excellent fit IMO.

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think looking at Flus’ history he hasn’t had big name DEs and prefers a rotation up front…I would like to see us target both Epenesa & Armstrong…two guys that will make $7-$11 million each rather than Hunter who would make like $20 million on his own…if we are going to go all out and spend $20 million a year then Brian Burns would be an excellent fit IMO.

Counterpoint, it would be kind of hilarious if the Bears stocked every position but 3T and every year we got to hear about how it's the engine of the defense and they just never address it.  Like we draft 4 CBs per year and just give 3t the traditional Bears OL treatement. 

26 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Counterpoint, it would be kind of hilarious if the Bears stocked every position but 3T and every year we got to hear about how it's the engine of the defense and they just never address it.  Like we draft 4 CBs per year and just give 3t the traditional Bears OL treatement. 

Dexter had like a 20% pass rush win rate the 2nd half of last season. I’m guessing they think they have their 3T already. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

maybe its because he hasn't been able to acquire big name DEs?

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Play that out a bit - say we sign Brian Burns (who I think will get Sweat money, if not more) and extend JJ at the top of the market. Now we’re sitting with four top of market or nearly top of market contracts, and they’re all on defense (Sweat, Burns, JJ and Edmunds). Isn’t this something that was much maligned forever with the Bears? 

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

maybe its because he hasn't been able to acquire big name DEs?

According to some of the things he said in Indy he just values the interior 3T much more…guessing the idea is get the QB off the spot as quickly as possible which a 3T will do and make him run into a DE who doesn’t need as much talent…

One thing that clearly did change mind you was Sweats early usage when he first got here which was as part of the rotation to then playing the majority of snaps so maybe he is starting to see it a little differently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Play that out a bit - say we sign Brian Burns (who I think will get Sweat money, if not more) and extend JJ at the top of the market. Now we’re sitting with four top of market or nearly top of market contracts, and they’re all on defense (Sweat, Burns, JJ and Edmunds). Isn’t this something that was much maligned forever with the Bears? 

I think the thing is if we are going to select Caleb than you can do that with ease & also keep in mind after next year none of Edmunds money is guaranteed so if you wanted to let him walk then you could…I would prefer to go with the multiple DEs and rotate but we have a ton of options.

I know I have said I would prefer we take a WR at #9 but truthfully I hope we can trade down a bit...if we can then Jackson Powers-Johnson comes into play for me even as high as top 15...if we are going to talk about making Caleb comfortable then what would make him more comfortable than a dominant center who will be here for year and years to come and will grow with him?...

Those grades are phenomenal especially when you consider Oregon didn't have a lot of talent around him upfront. 

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

know I have said I would prefer we take a WR at #9 but truthfully I hope we can trade down a bit...if we can then Jackson Powers-Johnson comes into play for me even as high as top 15...

It might have to be that high if you want JPJ. I could absolutely see Seattle picking him at 16, Id expect the Dolphins to take him at 21, and I would be Shocked to see him slip past the Cowboys at 26

Its why Id rather pay a vet to hold it down, and grab a high upside guy (with some Guard versatility in this system) who can take over when they are NFL ready. Id hate to have someone snag JPJ out from under us, as Im not sure anyone else would be Day 1 Ready for the NFL

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

It might have to be that high if you want JPJ. I could absolutely see Seattle picking him at 16, Id expect the Dolphins to take him at 21, and I would be Shocked to see him slip past the Cowboys at 26

Its why Id rather pay a vet to hold it down, and grab a high upside guy (with some Guard versatility in this system) who can take over when they are NFL ready. Id hate to have someone snag JPJ out from under us, as Im not sure anyone else would be Day 1 Ready for the NFL

I think Evan Brown would be the perfect vet...knows the scheme...has center and guard experience and wouldn't stop you taking JPJ at even #12 or #13 if either Denver or LV want to move up for a QB at #9.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think Evan Brown would be the perfect vet...knows the scheme...has center and guard experience and wouldn't stop you taking JPJ at even #12 or #13 if either Denver or LV want to move up for a QB at #9.

Yep, I think it was in AZ's mock I mentioned you were correct on Brown last offseason. And now that he proved it in the exact Offense we will be running, seems like a no brainer target in Free Agency. Especially sense he will then be an upgradable position once we can acquire a younger Center (if its JPJ great, but if its Fraizer or Van Pran or someone else) and get them ready for NFL reps, Brown can then at worst be your first IOL off the bench or actually take over at one of the OG spots

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yep, I think it was in AZ's mock I mentioned you were correct on Brown last offseason. And now that he proved it in the exact Offense we will be running, seems like a no brainer target in Free Agency. Especially sense he will then be an upgradable position once we can acquire a younger Center (if its JPJ great, but if its Fraizer or Van Pran or someone else) and get them ready for NFL reps, Brown can then at worst be your first IOL off the bench or actually take over at one of the OG spots

It was. This is still that thread. 🤷‍♂️😂

This mock is… well it’s a mock. But IMO what I outlined for adding SEA players on the offensive side of the ball makes a ton of sense regardless of what we do with the rest. Whether it’s Justin or Caleb, the more pieces we can put around them that already know everything about what’s being installed (without compromising quality for their respective roles) the easier that transition should be. 

• Like 1