The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

I think let's separate out the HC talk and search from Adam Peters. Once the coach is hired, it's going to be a lot of speculation on staff, ideas, etc. and we can house that all here. Keep the Peters thread open for where he might go and who he might bring in. 

• Like 1

Dan Quinn certainly sounds like he’s a possible DC/Assistant Head Coach interview for sure.  But it’s always possible that he’s wowed them.  If we were going to give a former ex-head coach a chance, I infinitely preferred Raheem Morris to Quinn.  At first blush, Quinn is certainly going to be a letdown if he is indeed the hire.  

The way I see it in a sense, the interviews with Johnson/Glenn and McDonald/Weaver are twofold.  One, there may possibly be interest in Glenn and Weaver.  But I believe a driving force behind those interviews is actually to get more background on the primary candidates- Johnson and McDonald- to see if what they’re saying actually jives with what others are saying, and to just collect more background.  

One of the biggest concerns I see with Johnson is how he fits with two other big coaching Alphas in Campbell and Glenn.  I have less concerns with McDonald like that, but like the rest of you, him hiring an OC and trusting that person is a big deal.  The interview with Weaver is likely going to help us determine how much freedom McDonald actually gives the coaches under him, and whether or not he micromanages them.  

On Quinn, as I said in the other thread, he’s a hard one to judge.  Both of his winning seasons in Atlanta came with Kyle Shanahan as his OC, so there is that.  

The other fact is that Arthur Blank and Rich McKay are Snyder/Allen-lite.  Not the scumbags that the latter were, but Blank likes to meddle and McKay has gained/lost authority in that organization a couple times.  So it’s a little unfair to judge Quinn under that microscope, but it would still be a disappointing hire compared to Johnson or McDonald. 

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Dan Quinn certainly sounds like he’s a possible DC/Assistant Head Coach interview for sure.

I guess my question with this is why he would leave Dallas, and why they would let him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s not my job to question what goes on in the head of Jerry Jones 

Touché. Have you heard anything that he might be looking to let him walk? 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39417508/looking-commanders-head-coach-candidates 

On Ben Johnson:

Teams want him because of his offensive acumen: In his two seasons as Detroit's coordinator, the Lions are a combined second in yards per game and third in points.

More than X's and O's, new Commanders general manager Adam Peters said leadership will be the No. 1 trait they desire. Those who have worked with Johnson say he's a clear communicator. One opposing assistant coach considered Johnson "innovative."

Johnson is considered the best offensive coach available during this coaching cycle, but he would not be inheriting the same offensive talent he has with the Lions. Washington needs to rebuild its offensive line, find its quarterback of the future and add a shifty third-down back like Detroit's Jahmyr Gibbs.

On Aaron Glenn: 

Multiple sources, who either coached Glenn or coached with him, consider him a strong leader. He played corner in the NFL, a position that's typically not one of leadership for an entire team, but that's the trait that clearly would draw him to Washington. Chris Spielman's insight in this area would help as well.

"The biggest thing is he's ambitious and a competitor," said one person who coached Glenn and remains in the league. "He has infectious enthusiasm."

On Dan Quinn: 

Quinn is the only candidate who has been a head coach, compiling a 43-42 record in five-plus seasons with Atlanta. Multiple people who played for Quinn, coached under him or worked in the same organization have raved about his ability to lead, with one of his former coaches saying he set the standard for a team as well as any coach he has been around. One current assistant coach, whose team has faced Dallas, praised Quinn for adjusting his scheme over the years.

On Anthony Weaver: 

One person who has worked with Weaver said he has "great presence" and can be "tough but fair."

Since he joined the Ravens' staff three years ago, Baltimore ranks a combined third in rushing yards per game and fourth in yards per carry. But it slipped in both categories this season -- 14th in yards per game and 25th in yards per carry.

On Mike Macdonald:

Like Johnson, he has drawn widespread praise for how his side of the ball played all season. Also like Johnson, he's expected to interview with Seattle.

Macdonald climbed from a coaching intern with Baltimore in 2014 to its defensive coordinator starting in 2022. In his two seasons as coordinator, the Ravens were a combined second in scoring and sixth in yards.

One person familiar with Macdonald considered him a "great communicator and organized" with a reputation for maximizing his group's talent -- evidenced by how they altered their looks to attack various offenses. Macdonald's secondary coach, Dennard Wilson, has been interviewed for multiple defensive coordinator openings.

On Bobby Slowik: 

Slowik spent six seasons with San Francisco, starting off as a defensive quality control coach and eventually working over to offense and ending up as the 49ers' pass game coordinator. But he also has an analytics bent -- the Commanders have placed a strong emphasis on this under Josh Harris -- and worked for Pro Football Focus for three years.

23 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

No virtual doesn't, they have to be in person interviews that aren't in house interviews (EB).

I think we did do Raheem at some point, but I can't remember.