The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

So to play devil's advocate on Vrabel, why is this retread okay?

Team Year Regular season Postseason
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
TEN 2018 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC South
TEN 2019 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC South 2 1 .667 Lost to Kansas City Chiefs in AFC Championship Game
TEN 2020 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC South 0 1 .000 Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Wild card game
TEN 2021 12 5 0 .706 1st in AFC South 0 1 .000 Lost to Cincinnati Bengals in AFC Divisional Game
TEN 2022 7 10 0 .412 2nd in AFC South
TEN 2023 6 11 0 .353 4th in AFC South
Total 54 45 0 .545   2 3 .400

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So to play devil's advocate on Vrabel, why is this retread okay?

Team Year Regular season Postseason
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
TEN 2018 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC South
TEN 2019 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC South 2 1 .667 Lost to Kansas City Chiefs in AFC Championship Game
TEN 2020 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC South 0 1 .000 Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Wild card game
TEN 2021 12 5 0 .706 1st in AFC South 0 1 .000 Lost to Cincinnati Bengals in AFC Divisional Game
TEN 2022 7 10 0 .412 2nd in AFC South
TEN 2023 6 11 0 .353 4th in AFC South
Total 54 45 0 .545   2 3 .400

I was not on the Vrabel train when the options were Johnson, MacDonald etc. Now, I think he's the best of what's left. Honestly, I don't know Mike? I'm just sort of lost as to what the team can even do here...just spitballing at this point dude

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I was not on the Vrabel train when the options were Johnson, MacDonald etc. Now, I think he's the best of what's left. Honestly, I don't know Mike? I'm just sort of lost as to what the team can even do here...just spitballing at this point dude

I'm just asking to ask too because I am looking for help. Because I'll take Vrabel over Quinn. But honestly, Vrabel had a rough last two years as Henry declined some. Is it even something we want?

54 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

After reading into what came out yesterday into last night from Schefter, Keim, et al, I am convinced this is what happened. 

We were clearly waiting for a target or two that was still in the playoffs. It appeared to correctly be predicted it was Ben Johnson and Mike Macdonald. 

All of our eggs were in the Ben Johnson basket with Mike Macdonald as our fallback plan. I don't know what happened with Ben yet. Either he didn't like Washington, but it was his only real option left (Chargers was out and Seattle was telling him they were leaning Macdonald), or his demands were truly too high and we wouldn't meet them. It's possible he just wasn't interviewing well. He didn't like our job and we were leverage. We don't know yet. Keim saying we never officially offered anyone doesn't reveal much in the way of where we got to before one of us pulled out. 

The next option was Mike Macdonald. By this point though, Seattle and Macdonald were deep into it. Macdonald may have also clearly preferred Seattle. Their roster (and their defense) is in better shape overall. Facilities are better. We threw our Hail Mary while he was on the plane back to Seattle but it was to no avail.

Now we're the last one at the prom without a date, despite being one of the earliest to go into this. You can sell me all you want that they're taking their time to find the right fit, but in this league, you have to do it quickly too. If we found someone we truly liked after those two, they'd be here by now. There's no reason, if Dan Quinn or Weaver was a great fit for what they wanted, couldn't have been signed yesterday at the latest. The Falcons didn't wait. The Panthers didn't. And on and on. 

Maybe it's Glenn and they needed one more day to digest. Again, I think that could have happened yesterday. This team is 100% regrouping to figure out what to do now. Settle for Quinn or Weaver or Glenn even if it isn't what they were truly looking for or happy with? Possibly. Start over/branch out and look for more options? That'll be a lot of pride to swallow, and will more or less confirm the above, but it could be on the table.

Let's find out. 

And also, maybe this isn't going to be resolved quickly anymore.

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm just asking to ask too because I am looking for help. Because I'll take Vrabel over Quinn. But honestly, Vrabel had a rough last two years as Henry declined some. Is it even something we want?

I think it had more to do with the decline of Tannehill but who knows? 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don't think they do either lol

I'm trying not to be reactive to things, but if Schefter is saying they are going to interview more candidates, it definitely gives credence to the notion that they were targeting one or two and never really considered anyone else. 

I guess the silver lining is that EB and Dan Quinn most likely won't be the guy. I expect the "I'm returning to Dallas" statement to come soon for Quinn. He can't feel good about the team declaring they are in no hurry and will interview other candidates. 

I was watching some videos of Anthony Weaver on different subjects and I came away from those thinking he can lead a team. Probably sounds crazy to think that after a few clips but he sounds very genuine. I don’t know how this process is going to unfold and who becomes our next HC but if it’s not AW I hope he’s our DC. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I think they go the College route.

If not Deion Sanders, then someone at that level.

Which would excite me. I don't want some retread.

Deion can stay in college.  There are an infinite number of head coaches in college I’d take over Deion.  

And I’m thinking we avoid that trap, because most college coaches do NOT work out at all in the NFL unless they have prior NFL experience. 

11 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I was watching some videos of Anthony Weaver on different subjects and I came away from those thinking he can lead a team. Probably sounds crazy to think that after a few clips but he sounds very genuine. I don’t know how this process is going to unfold and who becomes our next HC but if it’s not AW I hope he’s our DC. 

So one thing I found interesting when doing a little digging is that he was pretty heavily involved with their OC search. 

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/anthony-weaver

"Under Weaver's tutelage (2021-22), Baltimore's defensive front has contributed to the NFL's second-best run defense (88.3 ypg), No. 2-ranked third-down defense (34.9%) and fourth-overall red zone defense (50.0%).

Has guided the development of Ravens' young DLs Travis Jones, Justin Madubuike and Broderick Washington.

Helped lead Baltimore's 2023 offensive coordinator search, which yielded Todd Monken for the position.

Weaver has coached multiple Pro Bowlers, including J.J. Watt (2018) and Jadeveon Clowney (2016-18)."

• Like 1