The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

Hopefully we can get one of Josh Allen or Brian Burns and DQ can do wonders with one of them. On top of trying getting more out of Forbes and potentially Kurl if they resign him. These are the only things keeping me from jumping at the current point in time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen 

The Commanders continue to gut the Cowboys' beloved defensive staff. 

Cowboys secondary and defensive passing game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr. is reportedly being named the Commanders' defensive coordinator under Dan Quinn, via @AaronWilson_NFL.

I like the moves he will make on defense he’s a respected coach who will get a respected staff. I’m actually not down on this hire because I wanted Dan Quinn so bad when he left Seattle. Now I actually like it more because he made a SB the playoffs the next year after a tough defeat with an aging offense and a defense he just didn’t get together. But he learned a ton and he will have those lessons to carry over

7 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

Hopefully we can get one of Josh Allen or Brian Burns and DQ can do wonders with one of them. On top of trying getting more out of Forbes and potentially Kurl if they resign him. These are the only things keeping me from jumping at the current point in time.

Hoping it's Huff.  He's a cheaper, younger and potentially better version than both those guys.

7 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

I said it all year Forbes on that Dallas defense last season would have been DROY. So we will see how he develops. Quinn has always been a friendly coach to the back end of a defense. Curl is the player in most excited about he and Forrest because they are weapons. They are much better then the system and roles they’ve had to play

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I like the moves he will make on defense he’s a respected coach who will get a respected staff. I’m actually not down on this hire because I wanted Dan Quinn so bad when he left Seattle. Now I actually like it more because he made a SB the playoffs the next year after a tough defeat with an aging offense and a defense he just didn’t get together. But he learned a ton and he will have those lessons to carry over

There’s talk that maybe Al Harris could also come over as secondary coach. AH can weigh his options on Mike McCarthy’s job security. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Hoping it's Huff.  He's a cheaper, younger and potentially better version than both those guys.

He's cheaper. Him and Burns are both 25. Huff had 1 good year, in a year which he had to because of $$. I don't believe in guys that only have good years in contract years. Burns has never had below 7.5 sacks. Allen is only 26, and he's coming off a 17.5 sack season. Yes that's his best year in a contract year, but he also had 10.5, 7.5, and 7 sack seasons. We have the most cap space in the nfl, use it. 

• Like 1

The other percentage that I think matters with Bryce Huff is 42.2%, which is the highest percentage of his team’s defensive snaps he’s ever played. He’s an exceptional pass-rusher, but he’s never really done much else.

That is a price tag I’m very intrigued to see. I have no idea what someone will be willing to pay for his skillset — it’s limited, but it does happen to be rare and valuable.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I said it all year Forbes on that Dallas defense last season would have been DROY. So we will see how he develops. Quinn has always been a friendly coach to the back end of a defense. Curl is the player in most excited about he and Forrest because they are weapons. They are much better then the system and roles they’ve had to play

I agree with so much of this, although with the amount of man Quinn plays, I’d still have been worried about Forbes’s ability to match up physically with NFL receivers as a rookie on those snaps.

But otherwise, 110%. Extremely excited to see what he and Whitt (and Al Harris? 🤞🏼) are able to do with the skillsets we have at the safety position. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott Land said:

He's cheaper. Him and Burns are both 25. Huff had 1 good year, in a year which he had to because of $$. I don't believe in guys that only have good years in contract years. Burns has never had below 7.5 sacks. Allen is only 26, and he's coming off a 17.5 sack season. Yes that's his best year in a contract year, but he also had 10.5, 7.5, and 7 sack seasons. We have the most cap space in the nfl, use it. 

When was Huff's one good year?  You realize he had a 90.4 PFF grade in 2022, right?  Burns has never had higher than 76.8 (from 2020).

It's not all about the raw number of sacks.  That way of thinking is so 2000s era.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

When was Huff's one good year?  You realize he had a 90.4 PFF grade in 2022, right?  Burns has never had higher than 76.8 (from 2020).

It's not all about the raw number of sacks.  That way of thinking is so 2000s era.

To be fair about PFF... 

Chase Young has a hilariously generous PFF score of 74.4
Andrew Wylie got a good 69.2

PFF was a hot thing for analysis years ago, but it's been quite comical lately. I think that's why we laugh about it in NFL Gen so much. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The other percentage that I think matters with Bryce Huff is 42.2%, which is the highest percentage of his team’s defensive snaps he’s ever played. He’s an exceptional pass-rusher, but he’s never really done much else.

That is a price tag I’m very intrigued to see. I have no idea what someone will be willing to pay for his skillset — it’s limited, but it does happen to be rare and valuable.

Yeah I'll be very intrigued for what someone pays for him too. He's done quite well at his part time job. Does someone think they can get equal that on a more full time basis? Or does he get premiere part time money? I like the idea of the Bears going for him as they continue to retool his defense. 

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

To be fair about PFF... 

Chase Young has a hilariously generous PFF score of 74.4
Andrew Wylie got a good 69.2

PFF was a hot thing for analysis years ago, but it's been quite comical lately. I think that's why we laugh about it in NFL Gen so much. 

I see 73.6, which ranked 40th among EDGE rushers. 

And to be fair, for as much as we like to rag on him for his loafing, Chase Young does have his moments.  He's too gifted to not be at least league average.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I see 73.6, which ranked 40th among EDGE rushers. 

And to be fair, for as much as we like to rag on him for his loafing, Chase Young does have his moments.  He's too gifted to not be at least league average.

I found where you found 73.6. I also just see this 

image.png

So I don't know. Another win for PFF