The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

Al Galdi

Kliff Kingsbury is a modern offensive mind who knows about developing young QBs. Was Johnny Manziel's OC & QBs coach for his 2012 Heisman season. Was Patrick Mahomes' college head coach. Did some good things w/ Kyler Murray. Worked w/ Caleb Williams. I like the hire. #Commanders

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

So...not to be a pedant here or anything, but EB is still under contract is he not?

I mean we haven't seen the story of us parting ways with him...yet.

Well we have 2 GMs right now, why not 2 OCs?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/05/takeaways-bye-week-commanders-dan-quinn-search

On the hiring of Dan Quinn. Very interesting read. 

Very interesting on multiple fronts: 

1.) Someone heavily in the know let this leak to the media.  That’s bad 

2.) Quinn doing a 360 analysis and spending money to get other people to help with that is fantastic, and shows an extremely high level of self-awareness.  

3.) Staying true to the process and not panicking and offering jobs is a plus.  

4.) Johnson looks terrible that his decision came out via social media first before he could even communicate his intentions to the club flying to do his interview.  That’s……..not a great look.  

• Like 1

The story does sort of lend to the credence that they did want MacDonald but just pivoted too late. But all in all, with the information being let out I think I can live with this hire. Quinn seems to have really dug deep to find ways to improve himself. This isn't the ideal hire, same with Kingsbury but I genuinely think this is our best shot in a long time to be good. Peters is the guy who matters most. If him and his team nail our draft picks and free agent signings we will be fine. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/05/takeaways-bye-week-commanders-dan-quinn-search

On the hiring of Dan Quinn. Very interesting read. 

Hey! I can post again. Weird forum posting issues.

I agree with @naptownskinsfan that it is bad this came out, but I think a lot of fans needed to see this. There is no way that you can read this and think they tunneled on any one candidate. There was a thorough process and candidates weren't ranked based off their qualities in specific categories. 

"While those interviews were going on, the five graded each of the candidates in a number of categories: leadership, intelligence, communication, ability to build a staff, honesty and integrity, and consistency of personality." 

This is probably my favorite point of this article. It shows that Adam Peters exhibited all the qualities he wanted his coach to have and found a good match for him and the franchise. 

I may still not like the hire, but I want to trust the process. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The story does sort of lend to the credence that they did want MacDonald but just pivoted too late.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/2/2/24059477/report-mike-macdonald-highest-paid-first-time-coach-nfl-history-seahawks-news

I think business decisions were made. Mike MacDonald became the highest paid first time head coach in history. Add in the fact he got a 6 year deal that wouldn't have ever flown with Adam Peters on a 5 year deal.

I would have loved Mike MacDonald. I probably wouldn't even balk at the heavy price tag, but I'm ok with this result. This is essentially the Bears telling us they want a couple 1sts to move up to 1 and we just take Maye or Daniels at 2. I think most can live with that and for me I am vehemently against trading up.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/2/2/24059477/report-mike-macdonald-highest-paid-first-time-coach-nfl-history-seahawks-news

I think business decisions were made. Mike MacDonald became the highest paid first time head coach in history. Add in the fact he got a 6 year deal that wouldn't have ever flown with Adam Peters on a 5 year deal.

I would have loved Mike MacDonald. I probably wouldn't even balk at the heavy price tag, but I'm ok with this result. This is essentially the Bears telling us they want a couple 1sts to move up to 1 and we just take Maye or Daniels at 2. I think most can live with that and for me I am vehemently against trading up.

I sure hope it wasn't money that influenced the decision.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

1.) Someone heavily in the know let this leak to the media.  That’s bad 

The leaks haven't gone away.  It is a bad look.  You don't need to get the media to rationalize what you are doing for you.

If this is true, they are saying Mayhew and Hurney had a huge influence on the choice.  These guys aren't going anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I sure hope it wasn't money that influenced the decision.  

You are naive if you think money wasn't a factor from both sides. Ultimately it was probably a deciding factor for why he chose Seattle over us. That and the contract length.