NFLMock Offseason Prediction

Ghostnote

Between Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Trent Murphy and Ryan Anderson, I think our 3-4OLBs are ok for at least this draft. We could and should revisit for the 2019 draft. Interior DL and MLB is where we need to improve. Our Pass Rush from the outside hasn’t been much of the issue. It’s he ability to collapse the pocket from the inside.

We may find that Trent Murphy’s suspension/injury timing is a blessing in disguise. His value on the open market has definitely been hindered. He was playing well and was getting better before everything with him happened. I think we absolutely need to bring him back. 

4 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Between Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Trent Murphy and Ryan Anderson, I think our 3-4OLBs are ok for at least this draft. We could and should revisit for the 2019 draft. Interior DL and MLB is where we need to improve. Our Pass Rush from the outside hasn’t been much of the issue. It’s he ability to collapse the pocket from the inside.

We may find that Trent Murphy’s suspension/injury timing is a blessing in disguise. His value on the open market has definitely been hindered. He was playing well and was getting better before everything with him happened. I think we absolutely need to bring him back. 

Here's my only issue with that.  Between Smith, Murphy and Anderson where is the starter amongst that group?  I don't see one.  Murphy's coming off a major injury, and he was popped for cheating in the one season he looked good.  Preston Smith disappears 75% of every season.  Is Anderson even an NFL caliber 3-4 OLB?  His best position might be MLB.    

I think I agree with @MKnight82's take on your free agents departure decisions. I'm a little less gung ho regarding Sheldon Richardson, but I could deal (again, I agree with MK that he's going to want more). Paul Richardson ... eh, I guess? Not sure about Cooper, but maybe.

However, no one commented on this?

On 12/13/2017 at 2:21 PM, mike23md said:

Round 6 - R.J. McIntosh, DE, Miami (FL) - Defensive line depth considering the injuries that plague us. 

Another McIntosh from Miami? Really? :D

7 hours ago, Woz said:

I think I agree with @MKnight82's take on your free agents departure decisions. I'm a little less gung ho regarding Sheldon Richardson, but I could deal (again, I agree with MK that he's going to want more). Paul Richardson ... eh, I guess? Not sure about Cooper, but maybe.

However, no one commented on this?

Another McIntosh from Miami? Really? :D

Did that McIntosh also participate in the sex boat while at the University or Miami that was paid for by that booster who went to prison?

xD

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Here's my only issue with that.  Between Smith, Murphy and Anderson where is the starter amongst that group?  I don't see one.  Murphy's coming off a major injury, and he was popped for cheating in the one season he looked good.  Preston Smith disappears 75% of every season.  Is Anderson even an NFL caliber 3-4 OLB?  His best position might be MLB.    

I think Smith is a good but not great starter at ROLB. Also as I keep saying when he was playing next to Jon Allen he had 4 sacks in the first month of the season. So, that tells me that if Jon Allen is healthy next year and in future years that Smith may be a 8 plus sack guy for us every year.

17 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I thought this since he was drafted. Move Anderson into the middle. Solves a lot of the issues we have had there and adding Zach Brown gives a solid LB corps. 

5 hours ago, mike23md said:

I thought this since he was drafted. Move Anderson into the middle. Solves a lot of the issues we have had there and adding Zach Brown gives a solid LB corps. 

That would be another guy drafted and put into an diff position. I don’t hate the idea, but it’s a trend I’m not a fan of. He would be an effective blitzer from the inside as he is very strong, but I’m not sure how good of an open field tackler he is, or if he can cover, or if he can get guys lined up in the right spots, etc.  

He does have the size and his length or lack there of, which people claim to be an issue at OLB, wouldn’t be so big of an issue at MLB. 

I just have no idea of what the FO was thinking on Anderson as if he was going to oust the current starters. Anderson does not have to do much in terms of moving from an edge rusher to an inside backer. He doesn’t have to gain a ton of weight like Murphy was going to in order to move to the DL from an Edge. He does have to learn the position but hell, they put him in at FB. I think he could handle ILB. 

Either way, I would like to see the SKins utilize the 2nd round pick in other ways to help the team other than FB. 

6 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I just have no idea of what the FO was thinking on Anderson as if he was going to oust the current starters. Anderson does not have to do much in terms of moving from an edge rusher to an inside backer. He doesn’t have to gain a ton of weight like Murphy was going to in order to move to the DL from an Edge. He does have to learn the position but hell, they put him in at FB. I think he could handle ILB. 

Either way, I would like to see the SKins utilize the 2nd round pick in other ways to help the team other than FB. 

You’re 1000% correct regarding the FB point. I mean we don’t need to get into the draft picks, but many of them just haven’t turned out. It’s the real reason why this team is no good. You need your top 3 picks in each draft to produce at a high level and ours have not. 

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

Murphy was suspended and Galette had missed two seasons with Achilles tears so we needed depth at OLB to start the season. It looks like a bad pick now because Galette stayed healthy but we couldn’t count on that last April.

Theres no harm in trying him at ILB in the offseason but we can’t rely on him transitioning to a position he’s never played before and that being the answer next to Brown.

We need to draft an ILB early, re-sign Foster or sign another FA ILB to start next to Brown.

From what I know of Anderson he’s stiff in the hips and is poor in coverage and that’s as a 3-4 OLB with Little coverage responsibly. At ILB he’d be asked to do a lot more in coverage and in a passing league putting him in coverage at ILB would be worse than having your boy Compton in coverage or Riley or Brown in coverage.

I’m sure he’d be fine against the run at ILB but we’d get smoked against the pass with him there evenmore than we already have the last 5 years there.

Archived