Commanders hire Dan Quinn as HC, Former Atlanta HC and Dallas DC

scar988

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I didn't read anywhere we "tried to get the plan turned around".  I read we wanted to guage his interest, but he was set on the Seahawks.

I'll trust Keim on this, who has been pushing Quinn from the start even when no one else was.

Keim was not "pushing" for Quinn. That's revisionist too. He claimed he interviewed well and was respected around the league. You're making it sound like he was the favorite. He wasn't. He even said he admitted he "expected" Ben Johnson to get the job. 

Is this the tweet you're referring to? Again he doesn't mention who said it. 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The ironic part of this is that despite ownership change, you just hired the exact same type of coach. Not really sure how you can say Rivera was never a leader but Dan Quinn somehow is?

I lived every day of Ron's tenure. There wasn't a single day where his words weren't hollow. Whether it be his talk of accountability, his awkward media talk about his players, his inability to manage the clock, his lack of understanding about how team records and playoff seedings work, etc. I could literally write a book on how Ron has never been a leader here. 

Now with that said, there are plenty of articles and reports out there about Dan Quinn the leader, the players coach. 

Now both have failed at HC gigs and are defensive-minded retreads, but that is where the comparison stops. @scar988 came into our subforum to drop a bit of information about his tenure with the Falcons. Dude was beloved. The results just stopped coming and collapse in the SB was irreconcilable. 

Again, he is not MY first choice, but acting like he wasn't a serious candidate the entire time is foolish.

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Keim was not "pushing" for Quinn. That's revisionist too. He claimed he interviewed well and was respected around the league. You're making it sound like he was the favorite. He wasn't. He even said he admitted he "expected" Ben Johnson to get the job. 

I'm talking about after Johnson.  He wasn't "the" favorite, but he was "a" favorite.  And from what I read, my sense is he was #2 after Johnson.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm talking about after Johnson.  He wasn't "the" favorite, but he was "a" favorite.  And from what I read, my sense is he was #2 after Johnson.

Then the deal could have been done Tuesday. Or Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Young was pretty much the unanimously agreed pick as the BPA at that spot, wasn’t he?

He was. And I was on board with the pick, because I still was a believer in the potential of Dwayne Haskins.

I was wrong, and so was Rivera. 

He gave up on Haskins, the QB for whom we passed on Tua and Herbert, after FOUR games. We spent the next 4 years (his entire tenure) wandering the wastelands, with 9 different QBs taking snaps for us:

Taylor Heinicke (772 passes; 87.5 rating; 12-11 record)

Sam Howell (631 passes; 79.0 rating; 5-13 record)

Carson Wentz (276 passes; 80.2 rating; 2-5 record)

Alex Smith (252 passes; 78.5 rating; 5-1 record)

Dwayne Haskins (241 passes; 73.0 rating; 1-5 record)

Kyle Allen (106 passes; 99.2 rating; 1-3 record)

Garrett Gilbert (31 passes; 81.9 rating; 0-1 record)

Jacoby Brissett (23 passes; 146.8 rating; 0-0 record)

Ryan Fitzpatrick (6 passes; 56.2 rating; 0-1 record)

In total, they posted an 82.9 passer rating, finishing bottom 5 in pretty much every meaningful passing statistic over the span of 2020-23. Never finished higher than 23rd in points during his tenure. And we went 26-40, never posting a winning season, despite fielding a genuinely very good (or better) defense in two of Rivera’s four seasons. 

It’s not that they didn’t want to add a good young QB at some point. But they never got the chance again. In 2021, they were picking 19th and all 5 of the top QBs were gone by 15. In 2022, they had a pretty high pick but it was a notoriously bad QB draft, and they took a small whack at it with Howell in the 5th. In 2023, they weren’t close to being in range of the two consensus studs. And because they weren’t in position for the draft to be a likely source of high-end talent, they did other (mostly dumb) stuff to try to address the position — signing Fitzpatrick, trading for Wentz, rolling with Howell. 

The point is that there’s a reason why a lot of us are currently “fawning over QB prospects,” as my friend and colleague @Slappy Mc puts it. If you’re in position to draft a high-ceiling talent at the QB position, and you pass, there’s just no promise that that chance is going to come back around anytime soon. Rivera was in charge for 4 years, and he genuinely never got another opportunity at a Tua/Herbert type talent. 

I can’t kill Rivera for taking Young back in 2020, because I was on the same wavelength with him. But it backfired miserably, and at the very least, we can try to learn from it this time — especially given the startling similarities between the two situations.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Then the deal could have been done Tuesday. Or Wednesday. 

As Keim (who has been talking up their interest in Quinn for weeks) mentioned on his podcasts, they wanted to run a thorough HC search process.

The Ben Johnson thing happened earlier in the week, then the Seahawks stole their thunder yesterday.  My guess is they wanted to give Quinn his own day once they knew for sure Macdonald was no longer a finalist.  How exactly does it hurt them not to do so?  Because otherwise fans would panic and say he was their last option?  I'm glad they didn't cave to fan pressure if that's the case.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

As Keim (who has been talking up their interest in Quinn for weeks) mentioned on his podcasts, they wanted to run a thorough HC search process.

The Ben Johnson thing happened earlier in the week, then the Seahawks stole their thunder (my edit: coach) yesterday.  My guess is they wanted to give Quinn his own day once they knew for sure Macdonald was no longer a finalist. 

On the list of reasons why it took another 24 hours... that's not one I would have played as our selling point. Congrats on coming up with that. I doubt it's correct, but hey, it's thinking outside of the box. 

I wish Atlanta was nice enough to do that for Raheem Morris after Canales got hired. 

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

How exactly does it hurt them not to do so?  Because otherwise fans would panic and say he was their last option?  I'm glad they didn't cave to fan pressure if that's the case.

We need to get the staff together quickly. People are agreeing to deals and bunkering down. The Senior Bowl is going on. 

5 hours ago, August4th said:

watch he ends up the most successful coach out of this cycle lol

He gets a lot of hate but I wanted him on the Raiders when he first got canned. Will be interesting his 2nd go around...

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

On the list of reasons why it took another 24 hours... that's not one I would have played as our selling point. Congrats on coming up with that. I doubt it's correct, but hey, it's thinking outside of the box. 

I wish Atlanta was nice enough to do that for Raheem Morris after Canales got hired. 

We need to get the staff together quickly. People are agreeing to deals and bunkering down. The Senior Bowl is going on. 

Yeah, still not getting the panic over timing here.  24 hours makes all the difference I guess?  As if Quinn/Peters or whomever haven't been in communication with potential assistants throughout this process and as if we don't already have a contingent (including Peters) down at the Senior Bowl...

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, still not getting the panic over timing here.  24 hours makes all the difference I guess?  As if Quinn/Peters or whomever haven't been in communication with potential assistants throughout this process and as if we don't already have a contingent (including Peters) down at the Senior Bowl...

You've spun zone yourself into this. I'm happy for you. I haven't done it yet. Gonna need results. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

You've spun zone yourself into this. I'm happy for you. I haven't done it yet. Gonna need results. 

Spun myself into what?  Lol.  I'm not ecstatic over the hire and have said multiple times I'm waiting to find out who the OC / QB coach hires are, so not sure what results you're referring to. 

I've been arguing over the fact that the national perception and characterization of how the process went down is different to how it actually went down.  Their #1 criteria throughout this process was leadership, and from everything I've heard, Quinn topped the list in that regard.  That doesn't mean he was the #1 candidate, just that he was a much stronger option throughout than he was given credit for nationally.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Spun myself into what?  Lol.  I'm not ecstatic over the hire and have said multiple times I'm waiting to find out who the OC / QB coach hires are, so not sure what results you're referring to. 

I've been arguing over the fact that the national perception and characterization of how the process went down is different to how it actually went down.  Their #1 criteria throughout this process was leadership, and from everything I've heard, Quinn topped the list in that regard.  That doesn't mean he was the #1 candidate, just that he was a much stronger option throughout than he was given credit for nationally.

I can't keep going back and forth on this. He got the last open position (of what? 8?) available. How strong of an option could he have actually been? Yes, we really liked him, yes Keim heard good things about him, but it doesn't mean he was "Top 2". We did not think we would be in this situation, and a lot of people are interpreting it - as I keep putting it - as that we were caught with our pants down. You don't. That's fine. Your choice. I'm sure we will hear more soon. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I lived every day of Ron's tenure. There wasn't a single day where his words weren't hollow. Whether it be his talk of accountability, his awkward media talk about his players, his inability to manage the clock, his lack of understanding about how team records and playoff seedings work, etc. I could literally write a book on how Ron has never been a leader here. 

Now with that said, there are plenty of articles and reports out there about Dan Quinn the leader, the players coach. 

Now both have failed at HC gigs and are defensive-minded retreads, but that is where the comparison stops. @scar988 came into our subforum to drop a bit of information about his tenure with the Falcons. Dude was beloved. The results just stopped coming and collapse in the SB was irreconcilable. 

Again, he is not MY first choice, but acting like he wasn't a serious candidate the entire time is foolish.

I have never once said he wasn't a serious candidate.

I have clearly said he wasn't their first choice and they settled for him.

49 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean, Dan can't manage a clock either, but he doesn't have any of those other issues. Dan is definitely a leader and a player's coach. He's a good coach. He just made some mistakes in Atlanta and failed at the end. The injuries in 2018 were really the downfall more than anything else. 

• Like 1