Quick Cabo Melee Mock 2-1 Thoughts

dll2000

Critical needs, gotta have it:

C, WR, UTE, S

Need: Edge, 3T

Wants: P, G/C versatility, OT, CB, Punt returner

Gone: Whitehair, Tonyan, Patrick, Jackson, Blasingame, Homer, Foreman, St. Brown (well just a whole bunch of guys) easier to say who is staying.

FA:

Hard to say with FAs right now because most of decent ones resign with their team or get tagged.  But for funsies let me look at some names on PFF FA list and think - you guys can be here for my thoughts:

Keeping guys that are starred.  

Chris Jones - this is time I remind everyone I was Bears GM for a game on this site in 2016 and I absolutely killed that draft.  I studied players for many hours that year.  Haven't really done that before or since to that extent.   I got Chris Jones in 2nd round.  I would have taken him in first, but nobody had him that high.  I still can't believe that.  

But I don't see Bears signing Chris Jones.  Poles wants to sign young guys with years to go in prime.  Chris Jones is a lets go win the SB this year type FA signing.

... bunch of guys I am sure will be tagged - skip them.

Mike Evans - pass.  Too old for this team and he doesn't fit.

C. Ridley - Interesting.  I bring him in for an interview to try to see where his head is.  I am pretty sure he is staying in Jacksonville, but not 100% sure.  Even if he is available I am not sure I want him as he seems to be kind of a head case.  But for right price I sign him.  

*D. Mooney -Look I am going to say this 90% won't happen.  But if it was me I would bring him back.  New coaches, new QB.  Like coming to a new team.  I am running this mock not Poles and I get final say and I say he comes back.  I take a chance he had a down year and was frustrated and he can bounce back to where he was.  He is a really, really good 3 and a decent 2 if he can get back to his best playing and due to his down year price has have gone down a ton.  Worth it to me.

For my pretend mock he is back on a bargain team friendly 2 year contract or a 1 year deal.

*C. Williams - Come on down Conner.  You seem like best option and we need a vet C like a fish needs water. 

*Xavier McKinney, S - We badly need a vet S who is decent in coverage.  He is young and good.  Come on down McKinney.  Honestly Indy probably keeps him.  He will probably command some dollars.  No idea how much.  

*A.J. Epenesa, edge.   There aren't really any good 3Ts in FA that I think we would sign.  So Grabbing an edge guy to pair with Sweat.  We will roll with young guys and Billings inside.

*Justin Jones, DL - Resign him to 1 year deal.  I cut him if a rookie outplays him in camp.

I am super tempted to sign Saquan Barkely.  But I just can't see it happening.  Poles does the analytics game and keeps drafting young guys at RB.  I agree.

*Noah Fant - Bringing in Fant as my U TE.  He is young and good.  He fits.  I am NOT breaking bank for him though. I want him, but I don't LOVE him.   I am kinda wishing it will be Brock Bowers - but FA comes before draft.

TAG:  Jaylon Johnson

So I think that is all money I am allowed by ownership to spend for 2024.  Even with drafting a rookie QB.  Fill in rest with whatever journeyman players, draft picks and UDFAs.

DRAFT (of course I am letting board break way I want it too)

Trade Fields for 2nd to ... lets say the Steelers.

1st Pick:   Caleb Williams.  At this point to me this is a no brainer barring something crazy happening.

2nd 1: 

Honestly, I am going to be really happy with Alt, Odunze or Bowers at 9.   I have to think Bowers and Alt are harder and more rare players.  Odunze is really valuable though, but easier to find good WRs in drafts.    Tough call.   All 3 are not going to be available, but one should be.  

Lets run a sim and see who is there ... crap all 3 are gone!   But in my pretend land that didn't happen.  As of today I kind have a good feeling about Alt and I would be shocked if Bowers isn't good in the league barring injuries.   Lets say Bowers and Alt are gone.  I take Odunze.

My plan was to take Jackson POWERS-JOHNSON with my second rounder pick.  But all hype has him moving out ahead of my slot.  Do I  want to give up a high pick to move up for him... ?  If I didn't get C. Williams in FA yes I think so.  But in my mock I signed Williams.   So do I roll with the lesser Zach Frazier and keep my draft picks?  I really want Powers-Johnson...

I am on clock ... ahhh!  Zach Frazier, C.    Need pick rather than BPA.  

3rd Round:  Hmmm OZ depends on WR blocks to function.  Mooney was a great blocker, but he sucked last year.  Our only good blocker is St. Brown and he is about 10% to make my team because that is about all he does is block.  

So let's get nuts.  

In 3rd round Chicago Bars draft:  Johnny Wilson 6-7 240 lb. WR out of FL St.

In 4th round:  Beau BRADE, S Maryland.  We need Ss.  We for sure need one if we didn't get my FA signing.  Safeties are usually good on special teams regardless.  He was BPA on board.

In 4th Round:  Ray Davis, RB.  You almost need to take a mid to late round RB every year so you never have to resign one.  Ray was best on board according to NFL Draft Buzz.

In 5th Round:   Ben SINNOTT, TE, Kansas.   We need young TEs.  He was near BPA and a TE.

QB:  Caleb, Bagent

RB: Herbert, Johnson, Davis

WR:  DJ Moore, Odunze, Wilson, Mooney, Taylor, V. Jones 

TE:  Kmet, Fant, Vet Journeyman, Sinnott.  

FB: Going to use a TE for this like most teams.

OT:  Jones, Wright, Borom

G:  Jenkins, Davis, Carter

C : Williams, Frazier

Edge: Sweat, Epenesa, Walker

DT:  Billings, Jones, Dexter, Pickens (same as last year)

LB:  All same guys as last year.

CB: All same guys as last year.

S:  Brisker, McKinney, Brade, Hicks

Edited by dll2000
Unbolded names
  • Like 3

You could sell me on Mooney on a 1 year prove it deal. Poles spoke really highly of him ahead of 2023 and I wonder if he still feels that way. Could Mooney play the Lockett or JSN role in Waldron’s offense? Maybe. My only apprehension is, if he’s taking a prove or deal he may look to do that somewhere with a more established situation. For him, that SCREAMS Kansas City. Reps to be had and an OC under whom he was really productive his first 2 years, plus Mahomes? That seems like the fast lane to a 2025 payday for me if I’m Mooney. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You could sell me on Mooney on a 1 year prove it deal. Poles spoke really highly of him ahead of 2023 and I wonder if he still feels that way. Could Mooney play the Lockett or JSN role in Waldron’s offense? Maybe. My only apprehension is, if he’s taking a prove or deal he may look to do that somewhere with a more established situation. For him, that SCREAMS Kansas City. Reps to be had and an OC under whom he was really productive his first 2 years, plus Mahomes? That seems like the fast lane to a 2025 payday for me if I’m Mooney. 

Yeah I thought of that.

That is likely a more realistic scenario than him resigning with Bears.  He is Nagy's guy too. On Hoge & Jahns ex-Bears scout said Nagy pounded table for him.

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah I thought of that.

That is likely a more realistic scenario than him resigning with Bears.  He is Nagy's guy too. On Hoge & Jahns ex-Bears scout said Nagy pounded table for him.

It's been weird what his drop off has been. Reminds me a bit of the Cal Meredith situation except he's still here. Guessing either he and Fields are just not very compatible or he's off with injury still affecting him. Have the feeling he's either gone or asked to return pints or something. 

I think I create a Joker or whatever you want to name it position for guys like Velus Jones.

Give him like 10 plays.  OZ, Power, Toss OZ as RB  (if you have no RBs in game and use Velus as RB you go against Nickel Defenses). 

As Slot - Jet, Go, Bubble, Bubble and Go, Slant, Dig, Reverse

He returns kicks, but not punts.  And he is gunner maybe - did he do that last year?

Simplify the game for him and let him get his chunk plays and play fast.  Give him like 20 snaps a game.  Defense has to account for his explosive ability.

Totally worth it for a guy who is likely one of fastest guys in the league.   

15 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i about had a stroke trying to figure out the first half of this post

I had the same response haha. I was especially looking at he "Needs" Sections, and not seeing QB at all and was very curious about what I was about to read

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

*D. Mooney -Look I am going to say this 90% won't happen.

There just seems to be an odd vibe with Mooney, Id be surprised if he is back in any capacity. But in your scenario, it will be nearly all brand new, so maybe its possible? Id feel better with someone more reliable at this point.

*C. Williams - Come on down Conner.  You seem like best option and we need a vet C like a fish needs water. 

I really like Connor Williams, but I really dont like signing a Lineman coming off a late season ACL injury. At best hes just coming back to the field at Training Camp, but more likely were talking some time during the season. Right idea, just probably needs to be one of the other Vet Free Agents

4th Round:  Ray Davis, RB.  You almost need to take a mid to late round RB every year

In 5th Round:   Ben SINNOTT, TE, Kansas.   We need young TEs

I have no issues with the picks youve made (not sure on Johnny Wilson, still digging into him) but these two stood out to me

Ray Davis is the real deal, guy looked great in every college game Ive ever watched of him. Would be a very crowded RB Room this year, and most likely means we are out on Herbert going forward.

Ive been all about Ben Sinnott, I had him in my first Mock, and have had to pull him out of every one after just to get some other looks. He can lineup all over the place, and with a system that doesnt use a traditional FB, a versatile H-Back like Sinnott could really help with the scheme.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive been all about Ben Sinnott, I had him in my first Mock, and have had to pull him out of every one after just to get some other looks. He can lineup all over the place, and with a system that doesnt use a traditional FB, a versatile H-Back like Sinnott could really help with the scheme.

like you, i've had him penciled in for one of our 4th round picks in the mock i'm putting together. he also won the lowman trophy for best college fullback this year. waldron didn't carry a FB on the roster at all, so Sinnott would be the FB/TE2 role and allow us to keep another player somewhere else

18 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i about had a stroke trying to figure out the first half of this post

You should read it in a dark room with a strobe light.   LOL.  Sorry.

I was just typing in real time as I thought it.  I thought it was clear.  But I guess not.

Edited by dll2000

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You should read it in a dark room with a strobe light.   LOL.  Sorry.

I was just typing in real time as I thought it.  I thought it was clear.  But I guess not.

it was a lot of the bolding of names that you ended up not giving us that was difficult to sort through

• 2 weeks later...

I did this mock really fast while avoiding work and with aid of a simulator. 

But honestly it still makes a lot of sense to me a few weeks later now.  

I still think Pitt is mostly likely Fields landing spot.  If we get more than a 2nd I will be pleasantly surprised.  

I still think the FAs make a lot of sense.   But at beginning of last offseason I was 90% sure Poles was signing an OT and/or a C in FA and he ended up doing neither.  He did take some swings, but price wasn't right.  

So this mock is a bit more what I would do than what I think Poles will do.   I will restate that I think odds of Mooney being resigned are extremely low.