Raiders to hire Luke Getsy as OC

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Maybe it’s just you and me that are not on the ledge after this hire 😁. He’s young, had not much to work with and did OK from the games of Chicago that I watched. 

Yo be frank, I don’t really like Kingsbury anyway, something about him rubs me the wrong way. Onwards and upwards!

I’m with you on that. I think the hire has upside and concerns. To be honest , all of the OC candidates have strengths and concerns. For example, Zac Robinson hasn’t called plays before. So nobody knows how he would do. Kliff recently got fired after his offense went flat with Arizona. 
With Getsy let’s hope he has learned from his mistakes and improved what he did well.

Bears had issues that you can point at both Getsy, Fields, Eberflus and the roster limitations. However, they did have success at times and improved from year 1 to 2. I don’t think Getsy would of got fired if the HC didn’t need a scapegoat 

Let’s see what happens. DA is high on Getsy so I’m ready to see how he can improve with us

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

It seemed a mix of both the past season. Fields couldn't read a defense and the playcalling looked conservative. Bothers me that the brass looked at the Cardinals and Bears porous offenses that they lost to and thought they were the guys. 

To be fair though whenever the quarterback isn't reading the field historically the offenses are tailored to become more like damage control because you can't really run the offense the way its supposed to be run. The same is done for back up quarterbacks

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Getsy by far

because that's some thing I want to acknowledge. Harbaugh doesn't call plays. So if we hired him the OC would've been just as important. He got Greg Roman. The difference though is that they have a quarterback already. We have a lot of unknowns right now

• Like 1

Even if you're *very* charitable that Getsy's system was failed by Fields .... he still didn't adapt and cater to his strengths upon seeing Justin struggle. Something that would've been evident from OTAs and the first couple games. We've seen enough guys that insists their system is more important than working with what they have. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’m with you on that. I think the hire has upside and concerns. To be honest , all of the OC candidates have strengths and concerns. For example, Zac Robinson hasn’t called plays before. So nobody knows how he would do. Kliff recently got fired after his offense went flat with Arizona. 
With Getsy let’s hope he has learned from his mistakes and improved what he did well.

Bears had issues that you can point at both Getsy, Fields, Eberflus and the roster limitations. However, they did have success at times and improved from year 1 to 2. I don’t think Getsy would of got fired if the HC didn’t need a scapegoat 

Let’s see what happens. DA is high on Getsy so I’m ready to see how he can improve with us

Something else I just looked up right now is that DJ Moore 1364 yards 96 catches and 8 TDs. This is his best season by far despite the fact that he played with the backup quarterback for part of the season and Justin Fields who is the starter doesn't really wanna throw the ball. One thing we know for sure is that he knows how to get the #1 wr the ball. The TE Kmet also had a good season(73 catches for 719 and 6 TDs) which also happens to be his best season so far despite being on the team since 2020. So he seems to be good with TEs. I think our weapons are better than theirs. Despite this the Bears somehow scored more ppg than us this year. 

Not saying I'm team gets the but I'm doing a little bit of a deep dive I see why I move like this might've been made.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Something else I just looked up right now is that DJ Moore 1364 yards 96 catches and 8 TDs. This is his best season by far despite the fact that he played with the backup quarterback for part of the season and Justin Fields who is the starter doesn't really wanna throw the ball. One thing we know for sure is that he knows how to get the #1 wr the ball. The TE Kmet also had a good season(73 catches for 719 and 6 TDs) which also happens to be his best season so far despite being on the team since 2020. So he seems to be good with TEs. I think our weapons are better than theirs. Despite this the Bears somehow scored more ppg than us this year. 

Not saying I'm team gets the but I'm doing a little bit of a deep dive I see why I move like this might've been made.

That’s a good point. Moore and Kmet had their best seasons last year despite having multiple games with a late round rookie QB. I think Getsy offense fits our current roster better than Kliff. We would had to rework the O-line more under an Air raid offense 

6 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Even if you're *very* charitable that Getsy's system was failed by Fields .... he still didn't adapt and cater to his strengths upon seeing Justin struggle. Something that would've been evident from OTAs and the first couple games. We've seen enough guys that insists their system is more important than working with what they have. 

Perhaps being humbled by getting fired will turn this around. I’m sure he will have a different approach under a different staff. Who knows how much influence Eberflus had 

36 minutes ago, NickButera said:

We should have a friendly wager on who was the problem: Getsy or Fields? Shown by whoever has a worse 2024 season. I almost guarantee Getsy has a better offense in 2024 and fields plays the same or worse next year. 

Personally, I think the reverse but I'll happily be wrong

Well crap. Underwhelming selection doesn't do this hire justice.

What did Getsy show as Chicago's OC? Absolutely nothing. Can't develop a QB. Can't adjust an offense to fit the talent he has. 

When I think Offensive power, Chicago is not the team I go looking for talent. 

• Like 2

Let's just review this hiring cycle from Mark's end.

You don't interview Vrabel. You don't interview Harbaugh. You decide against Dodds because you don't want a "first time GM". 

Your appointed head coach blows his opportunity to bring in the offensive coordinator that HE WANTED. And now we get a guy piloting a horrendous, dysfunctional bears offense for the last 2 years.

Color me shocked that people (me included) are turning on the new regime already. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Perhaps being humbled by getting fired will turn this around. I’m sure he will have a different approach under a different staff. Who knows how much influence Eberflus had 

Assume AP/Tom asked the hard questions. Idk about Telesco but the former wouldn't hold back. If they got some good answers then fair enough, but he'll have to prove it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

That’s a good point. Moore and Kmet had their best seasons last year despite having multiple games with a late round rookie QB. I think Getsy offense fits our current roster better than Kliff. We would had to rework the O-line more under an Air raid offense 

I think our receivers fit Kliff better because I think if Kliff comes here then you don't have to trade Renfrow. I think where Kliff might've been challenging is the type of quarterback that it requires to be successful is number one overall talent level quarterbacks(besides Case Keenum in college he has never had a quarterback that wasn't Number one overall talent level.) That said I thought that maybe we could have strengthen the old line and drafted Spencer Rattler(who actually had his best college season in the air raid offense, was a five star talent out of high school and at one point was considered to be a lock to be the number one overall pick after his 1st year) could have been a cheap steal for the offense that kliff wanted to run.

The problem is I didn't really feel confident about any of the other quarterbacks that we wouldn't have to trade up for to run that system properly because it requires you to run around and throw the ball and basically play hero ball.

As much as we wanna say that he's super mobile Penix is a pocket passer.

Bo Nix is more mobile but really he wants to check the ball down fast so there would be trouble throwing the ball down the field.

JJ McCarthy doesn't really want to throw the ball(and I'm sure nobody wants to hear this but in a lot of ways is like Justin Fields and really just wants to run). If you don't believe me check his regular season pass attempts this year where are you will discover that he only threw the ball 252 times. If you think he would be someone who's good for the air raid it would only be based on what he can do which is he has arm talent and can run(so can fields)

In the offense that Luke Getsy seems to want to run evidenced by the game they played against us with the back up quarterback, I can see all of these quarterbacks that were actually able to draft without treating up working with the exception of JJ McCarthy. Heck I could even see Aiden O'Connell doing better than he did last year provided we actually go get lineman. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Let's just review this hiring cycle from Mark's end.

You don't interview Vrabel. You don't interview Harbaugh. You decide against Dodds because you don't want a "first time GM". 

Your appointed head coach blows his opportunity to bring in the offensive coordinator that HE WANTED. And now we get a guy piloting a horrendous, dysfunctional bears offense for the last 2 years.

Color me shocked that people (me included) are turning on the new regime already. 

Mark's involvement is the black cloud. As I've said before he needs to hire a football VP and stay in his suite.

I'm not pessimistic on AP the way @ronjon1990 (idk how to tag) is but I agree the structure is out of wack.

I think Mark chose well in AP, but can see why others wouldn't and I agree more interviews should been done. Since he still has to pay out Josh McD and already settled a good chunk with Gruden (if I recall) he'll be willing to give AP the length of his deal. By doing so he can also tell the fans/players "I gave your guy a shot" in the event it doesn't work.

So if Getsy doesn't work - and I don't think he will, but hope he does - AP will get another shot to get an OC and if that fails I can see him being gone. It sucks because even if the defense/run game continues to do well it won't translate to a deep run without a QB. The top 3 QB's will be gone in the top 5 so unless you mortgage the future you're probably taking this year as a growing pain and those are generally not fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Mark's involvement is the black cloud. As I've said before he needs to hire a football VP and stay in his suite.

I'm not pessimistic on AP the way @ronjon1990 (idk how to tag) is but I agree the structure is out of wack.

I think Mark chose well in AP, but can see why others wouldn't and I agree more interviews should been done. Since he still has to pay out Josh McD and already settled a good chunk with Gruden (if I recall) he'll be willing to give AP the length of his deal. By doing so he can also tell the fans/players "I gave your guy a shot" in the event it doesn't work.

So if Getsy doesn't work - and I don't think he will, but hope he does - AP will get another shot to get an OC and if that fails I can see him being gone. It sucks because even if the defense/run game continues to do well it won't translate to a deep run without a QB. The top 3 QB's will be gone in the top 5 so unless you mortgage the future you're probably taking this year as a growing pain and those are generally not fun.

Honestly, I was always for the whole "draft a quarterback in the second round and let them compete with Aiden O'Connell so that we could draft a right tackle or difference maker on defense in the first round" Hype from the beginning. So I actually like that part. It's the Luke Getsy part that scares me. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 3