Defensive Staff Discussion: Joe Whitt Jr new DC

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know he’s very animated but was he any good? I forget how he was as a coach. 

Jon Allen loved Jim Tomsula. He was very highly regarded by the players. I would absolutely be down with him coming back. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Tomsula was Bill Callahan/John Matsko for the defensive line.  By far one of the best positional coaches in all of the NFL.  

However, he is by and large a 3-4 defense guy, and I don’t think his vision matches what we want to put into place.  

Ben Standig

The Commanders are hiring Tom Donatell as their DB coach, per source. Donatell was promoted to defensive passing game coordinator/secondary coach by the Chargers in 2023.

He joins Jason Simmons, who will have a significant voice as the defensive passing game coordinator.

I guess you can’t have enough coaches.

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ben Standig

The Commanders are hiring Tom Donatell as their DB coach, per source. Donatell was promoted to defensive passing game coordinator/secondary coach by the Chargers in 2023.

He joins Jason Simmons, who will have a significant voice as the defensive passing game coordinator.

I guess you can’t have enough coaches.

The defensive staff looks real strong IMO. If we get some real talent on defense, we could be looking at a top defense. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:13 AM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I give him credit for developing Matt Ioannidis from a DL we couldn't play as a rookie to our best pass-rushing DL who got 5 to 7 sacks a year when we were in the 3-4. So, I think he's a good DL coach.

29 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The defensive staff looks real strong IMO. If we get some real talent on defense, we could be looking at a top defense. 

I agree, I expect Quinn, Whitt & co. to get more our of our current talent on D and I expect Peters & Quinn to add to the incumbent talent and our D to be top 10 again next year. 

• Like 1