Offensive Staff Discussion: Kliff Kingsbury new OC

Hard to find anyone anywhere that thinks this is a good hire.

With a likely rookie QB and an OC who’s pretty well-known for trying to spread the field and throw the ball — the OL is gonna be pretty important. I was hoping for a little better news on the OL coach hire.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You can't do anything about injuries. Andrew Thomas got hurt for the Giants last year & the elusive Daniel Jones. 

Didn't some of their backups get hurt too?

I mean Justin Pugh was starting for them off the street.

Like we were one season under Callahan, they were down to 7th string on the interior line with guys just being brought in to be a body.  

Very tough to be successful that way.  

I won’t lie and say I’m stoked about this one, but I think that Giants situation with Daboll is a giant quagmire and the Bills results are solid.  I’m OK with the hire, but it is one that bears watching the most. 

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

His lines were good-pretty good in Buffalo.

Depends on who you ask about that. Buffalo fans are laughing too. I got a text from my buddy up that way laughing asking what the hell was Quinn doing?

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Depends on who you ask about that. Buffalo fans are laughing too. I got a text from my buddy up that way laughing asking what the hell was Quinn doing?

Do you trust those fans to really know what was going on?  Allen got sacked 38/26/26 times during that time, and he’s a mobile QB….2019 was also just his second year in the NFL, and Johnson’s first season as the OL coach.  

In 2019, the Bills ran for the eighth most yards in the NFL, with a 4.4 YPC.  Singletary, who had the most yards, averaged over 5 YPC.  They dipped to 20th in yards and a 4.2 YPC in 2020, but were 6th most in rush yards in 2021 with a 4.8 YPC.  Singletary/Moss in 2020 had 4.4/4.3 YPC, and then in 2021 they had 4.6/3.6 YPC. 

I haven’t looked closely, but nothing jumps off the page in Buffalo as something that they should laugh about as it being terrible.  I’m guessing it’s typical hot take stuff, but a lot of people are panning this which I get from the Giants performance.  But even there, you have to look at the situation under the hood and see what’s going on before passing judgement.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Do you trust those fans to really know what was going on?

Yes. He played offensive line in college.

But dig around on here too. Buffalo fans are just as shocked. 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I haven’t looked closely, but nothing jumps off the page in Buffalo as something that they should laugh about as it being terrible.

I think because it never got better. Just worse. Blame injuries, that's fine, but I don't see any way we can argue this is a good hire at the time. I don't see why we can't pass some judgement on how questionable this is. 

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yes. He played offensive line in college.

But dig around on here too. Buffalo fans are just as shocked. 

I think because it never got better. Just worse. Blame injuries, that's fine, but I don't see any way we can argue this is a good hire at the time. I don't see why we can't pass some judgement on how questionable this is. 

I’m not saying we can’t, but again, nothing sticks off the page about this being “shocking” or “laughably bad” about his time in Buffalo.  

New York?  Sure, absolutely, 110%.  But also, there’s the grain of salt about Daboll, and that they went through a turnstile of QBs.  

This is a move that should be questioned, of this I have no doubt.  I am just saying that I don’t think his time in Buffalo is as bad as people are making it out to be.  But again, that’s just surface numbers.  I haven’t dug under the hood and looked at anything.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Great defensive coaches and mixed bag on offensive coaches. Interesting shift to what most thought would be a offensive coaching approach to the offseason. 

I am not sure why we couldn't hire great staffs on both sides.  I honestly think Kingsbury is just bringing in some comfort blanket coaches.  Although, I don't understand the Johnson hire at all.  What is the connection to the current staff?  He seemingly got booted from his last couple jobs because of performance results.

17 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Which makes sense.  You have to have aligned vision.  While it’s still a letdown, I’m not crucifying the choice yet like others seem to be doing.  

In the same way that you wouldn’t hire a DL coach who is used to coaching linemen in the 3-4 to coach a 4-3, you wouldn’t hire someone who is a zone blocking coach if you want to do man blocking.  

Someone mentioned Tomsula as a possible DL coach, and he was fired along with Mike Nolan right before Quinn came into Dallas.  Even while Tomsula is a DL whisperer, he doesn’t fit what we’re going to ask of our players so we wouldn’t bring him in.  

13 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Nicki Jhabvala 

The Commanders are keeping Bobby Engram as their WRs coach, per sources.

Like Tavita Pritchard, Engram was well-liked by players and did draw interest from other teams.

That is a surprise.  I know that Engram was well-respected, as would anyone with over a decade as a coach and someone who had a pretty good NFL career.  I’m willing to give benefit of the doubt on the WR room because of how Andy……Eric Bieniemy handled the offense and spreading the ball around.