Offensive Staff Discussion: Kliff Kingsbury new OC

Adam Schefter 

A big move for Washington: Commanders are hiring 49ers assistant head coach Anthony Lynn as their run-game coordinator, per league source.

Commanders made a run at Lynn last year, but get him this year. Here’s one reason why: Lynn is close with HC Dan Quinn and GM Adam Peters.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Adam Schefter 

A big move for Washington: Commanders are hiring 49ers assistant head coach Anthony Lynn as their run-game coordinator, per league source.

Commanders made a run at Lynn last year, but get him this year. Here’s one reason why: Lynn is close with HC Dan Quinn and GM Adam Peters.

This is awesome!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Adam Schefter 

Mark Bullock 

Now this is a very interesting hire. Kingsbury historically has been all about the passing game. A run game coordinator that can help him build a foundation and marry the run/pass game could be hugely important to his success.

• Like 1

Adam Schefter 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Adam Schefter 

Thanks for keeping on top of all of this Art. Tbh I just haven't cared much about who were hiring on position coaches etc, and all that. I just want to win. It's why I haven't been quite as active the last month or so on the site. I'm tired of arguing over the little this or that things about an assistant coach or whatever, I just want to win & focus on getting us there. 

But regardless, I appreciate you keeping on top all the hirings.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Adam Schefter 

This is a solid hire IMO. 

Lots of strong names coming here. For the longterm it also gives us another chance at potential comp picks if they get pilfered in two years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is a solid hire IMO. 

Lots of strong names coming here. For the longterm it also gives us another chance at potential comp picks if they get pilfered in two years. 

DQ has assembled this group or gave his blessing on these hires, he just has to make sure they all have similar techniques/schemes and that they’re not causing confusion amongst the players. 
Dating myself but the old saying ‘too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth’. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

DQ has assembled this group or gave his blessing on these hires, he just has to make sure they all have similar techniques/schemes and that they’re not causing confusion amongst the players. 
Dating myself but the old saying ‘too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth’. 

I also think that each coach, no matter their experience prior, needs to understand their role and stay in it. To quote the last terrible HC we had, "Do Your Job". 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Totally agree. This is my biggest concern with the coaching staff, aside from maybe Bobby Johnson just not being a good coach. 

There are a lot of guys on this staff, especially the offensive staff, that are coming from different places. I don’t know all of their resumes, but off the top of my head, I’m not aware of much major career crossover between Kingsbury, Lynn, Brian Johnson, Bobby Johnson, Pritchard, etc. — in the sense that they’ve coached together, certainly, but even that they have a shared philosophical/schematic background.

I think it puts a lot of pressure on Kingsbury, because he has to have a really consistent and clear message. He first has to teach all these coaches from different places to speak his language and to see the game the way he sees it — so that they can turn around and effectively share the same vision with the players as they’re teaching them.

Anyone who is familiar with working under middle management probably knows the problem that starts to creep in if everyone isn’t totally on the same page. “Well, corporate wants you to do it this way, but…that’s not really the best way, so if you need to, do it this other way that I think is better.” Things break down when all the different groups sort of go into business for themselves.

I hope Kingsbury is up to the task of getting all these coaches organized and aligned. I’m a little skeptical, if I’m totally honest. But I’ll keep hoping for the best until we see where it goes. 

• Like 3

Mostly impressive hire list.  Johnson is the one ugly choice that brings the grade down significantly.

Otherwise if I had another criticism it would be that there are a lot of chiefs and not many indians.  Would like to see some young startups brought on if we add more.

Jesus, no one has been able to articulate why exactly Johnson is some sort of awful head coach beyond “LOL, Giants were bad.”  

And not just here.  Literally, everyone on Reddit pages are saying the same thing, yet his units with the Bills were average-above average and they didn’t invest a ton of resources into the line.  Then, he gets to the Giants, and everything literally fell apart due to injury on the OL and at QB this year.  Bills fans take a dump on him, saying that his 17th ranked OLs were “bottom half of the league.”  While a true statement, it’s said in posts like the units were more like the 28th-32nd units, not a breath away from the middle.

We’re spoiled from having great OL coaches like Chris Forster, Bill Callahan and John Matsko, but everything makes it out to seem like Johnson can’t coach worth a damn, and I don’t think that’s the case.  Again, definitely the weak link of the staff right now, but I don’t think he’s an incapable coach.  

As for Anthony Lynn, that is a great addition to the staff, and I am hopeful that he will help Kingsbury create some balance in the offense.  I think we have a great blend of experience and younger coaches on this side of the ball, which will bode well for all parties.  Kingsbury and Quinn just need to make sure everyone is on the same page and pulling in the same direction.