2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

7 minutes ago, Gravity said:

what did he say?

It was a 2 part question, he spend a minute answering the first part and then something along the lines of "as far as the supuerbowl... that part just gets anoyying"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, adamq said:

If the players love Sorenson, and he butts heads with Staley this could cause a divide. Why not just give the job to BS?

I really don't think it's going to be an issue.  Staley and Kyle have both said Sorenson is the clear DC.  Staley will help with gameplanning and he'll probably be another super smart guy to bounce ideas off of.  I believe they had a guy like this when Demeco took over as well. 

My guess is Staley sits in the booth and if Sorenson wants an extra set of eyes he'll ask Staley. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think it is more likely "Bobby Turner deflected the question poorly."

Positional value is a little over played at the moment.  AIyuk is 30 million, and CMC gets 13.5.  

Although I think CMC is very underpaid compared to the league, I don't think he has any momentum for a new deal.  I think he is just taking a little extra rest. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

It sounds like you're upset that people don't use the same definition of athleticism that you do, which I can't really help with.

I've never heard of anyone quantifying throw placement as an athletic trait. Not saying it shouldn't be, I get the idea behind it, but   have never seen anyone (besides you) describe it that way, so I wouldn't expect that to be considered as part of the "athleticism" eval. 

I think you have a somewhat unique definition of athleticism which is fine, but also understandable why people wouldn't have the same evaluations of certain traits

Kenny Pickett had a monster senior season which played a huge role in him going first I'm sure,  along with his "quantified athleticism". Purdy was basically flat for his 4 year career. Pickett's 40 was pretty comparable to Purdy's, though he was 5 pounds heavier (4.73 to 4.76).  Pickett is a cautionary tale on random 5th year seniors just suddenly blowing up one year when they are 23-24 years old ((Hello Jayden Daniels!)).  I didn't like Pickett as a prospect at all...thought he was day 3 / undraftable type to me because I didn't believe the final season and was highly skeptical. 

I am not upset, if dudes want to take Tiger Wood's 40 time, Jeff Gordon's three cone, and Barry Bond's bench press and write stuff about it, it doesn't affect me.  I prefer to look at things differently. 

There is general athleticism, like what most people consider to be "athletic" but I feel like there is sport/position specific athleticism.  I consider anything physical that has to do with the sport an athletic feat, and completing physical athletic feats is considered athleticism.   A pitcher is an athlete, but their running speed is largely meaningless.  I consider the Quarterback to be a throwing and back pedal athlete.  They throw, and move in lots of different directions.  Throwing is primary.  If arm strength is an athletic trait, I feel like throw accuracy is an athletic trait.  Quickness to drop back is something I look at.  Reaction time combined with the physical reaction is another. Fluidity when moving and throwing is an athletic skill.   Being able to "step up in the pocket" is something I consider an athletic skill.  He's not mentally stepping into the throwing lane.  He is moving his body to avoid a dude.  That's stuff an athlete does.

I am saying the things he is measuring don't mean that much, and the things I talk about help him on every single play.  If we are ranking them on stuff that doesn't matter in football,  we may as well rank them based on their knowledge of post contemporary French romance novels.   The statement is either a way of knocking Purdy's athleticism, or it is meaningless.  Only one guy is the most athletic, the rest are "not as athletic as others"

Purdy's college film was him thriving on making the right decisions.  He was amazing as a Freshman, and stayed playing well throughout his career at Iowa State.   He made an adjustment in the draft process that made his spiral work, and that seemed to push him over the top.  He was mobile and made things happen in college. Some people just want to draft the guy that looks like what everyone thinks an athlete looks like.

12 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I am not upset, if dudes want to take Tiger Wood's 40 time, Jeff Gordon's three cone, and Barry Bond's bench press and write stuff about it, it doesn't affect me.  I prefer to look at things differently. 

There is general athleticism, like what most people consider to be "athletic" but I feel like there is sport/position specific athleticism.  I consider anything physical that has to do with the sport an athletic feat, and completing physical athletic feats is considered athleticism.   A pitcher is an athlete, but their running speed is largely meaningless.  I consider the Quarterback to be a throwing and back pedal athlete.  They throw, and move in lots of different directions.  Throwing is primary.  If arm strength is an athletic trait, I feel like throw accuracy is an athletic trait.  Quickness to drop back is something I look at.  Reaction time combined with the physical reaction is another. Fluidity when moving and throwing is an athletic skill.   Being able to "step up in the pocket" is something I consider an athletic skill.  He's not mentally stepping into the throwing lane.  He is moving his body to avoid a dude.  That's stuff an athlete does.

I am saying the things he is measuring don't mean that much, and the things I talk about help him on every single play.  If we are ranking them on stuff that doesn't matter in football,  we may as well rank them based on their knowledge of post contemporary French romance novels.   The statement is either a way of knocking Purdy's athleticism, or it is meaningless.  Only one guy is the most athletic, the rest are "not as athletic as others"

Purdy's college film was him thriving on making the right decisions.  He was amazing as a Freshman, and stayed playing well throughout his career at Iowa State.   He made an adjustment in the draft process that made his spiral work, and that seemed to push him over the top.  He was mobile and made things happen in college. Some people just want to draft the guy that looks like what everyone thinks an athlete looks like.

I appreciate your opinion on the matter. I think you're fighting a good fight, but not one you're likely to win with the general public

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I had this same thought yesterday when they said he didn't show. 

Honestly, he should. He's coming off the best season of his career, he's 28 now I think. There's a good chance he's not getting paid again. 

Florio said it's not contract related though, so there's that

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I appreciate your opinion on the matter. I think you're fighting a good fight, but not one you're likely to win with the general public

Compared to people the general public I feel like I am winning.   I am not  trying to change every one's opinion on the matter, but when I am watching a guy, and I call him "athletic" I am usually talking about position specific physical movement skills.  I consider Purdy to be a plus athlete at this point in his career.  

I look at movement from a CB differently than movement from a WR, so I look at their athletic traits differently.  I think the term has a broad spectrum meaning, and is applied differently by a lot of people.  Most people consider athleticism to be either straight line speed, or draft place.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, he should. He's coming off the best season of his career, he's 28 now I think. There's a good chance he's not getting paid again. 

I think he just needs some time to chill and relax.  Save as many miles as he can, last year was brutal for him.  It sucks he doesn't really get the money he deserves based on his status as a football player.  Positional value screwed him over pretty hard.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

CMC has a 200K bonus tho for showing up to OTAs. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Compared to people the general public I feel like I am winning.   I am not  trying to change every one's opinion on the matter, but when I am watching a guy, and I call him "athletic" I am usually talking about position specific physical movement skills.  I consider Purdy to be a plus athlete at this point in his career.  

I look at movement from a CB differently than movement from a WR, so I look at their athletic traits differently.  I think the term has a broad spectrum meaning, and is applied differently by a lot of people.  Most people consider athleticism to be either straight line speed, or draft place.  

I agree. I actually hope they use Purdys athleticism for some misdirection type plays this year. He's a very sudden athlete. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

40 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I agree. I actually hope they use Purdys athleticism for some misdirection type plays this year. He's a very sudden athlete. 

As a thrower behind the line of scrimmage, he can do anything required.  Move the pocket right or left, execute multiple ball fakes, turn his back to the play on a PA, etc.  

As far as designed runs go, I wouldn't have him out there on too many of those.  A few per year at most, when the team sees it wide open on film.  

I think anything other than elite level running from a QB is over rated.  You have guys like Vick, Kap, Jackson, Fields, who are great runners.  You have guys like Marino, Breese, and Brady who were useless runners, but most QB's between the extremes are simply opportunistic.