2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

@49erscap can give up the updated figures, I'm sure, but we are projected to be slightly over the cap, currently. 

Not a lot of meat left on the bone with regards to money saving cuts, so I would expect restructures and extensions to free up money (Aiyuk extension, maybe a Ward extension), but overall there should be fairly limited cap room for the year. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

@49erscap can give up the updated figures, I'm sure, but we are projected to be slightly over the cap, currently. 

Not a lot of meat left on the bone with regards to money saving cuts, so I would expect restructures and extensions to free up money (Aiyuk extension, maybe a Ward extension), but overall there should be fairly limited cap room for the year. 

The team also has (had) very few roster hole to fill. They have basically the same cast minus some mercenaries and rotation guys. Greenlaw is now the major exception. Along with a starting defensive end. And fixing the weakest unit of the season if we can in the offensive line.

• Like 1

There’s a couple of things that I wouldn’t mind doing this off-season, but realism isn’t in our favor. I feel like Kyle/Lynch will want to run it back, as always. 

I understand that game isn’t on Wilks, but I wonder like some had mentioned in the Super Bowl posts if we decide to move on because internal differences, or philosophy, etc. There are 2 big names - Bill and Vrabel that could come in and be DCs for us if interested. This could also lead to Kyle literally having to focus on Offense and not having to concern himself with anything defensively. I feel like Kyle always wants to have his fingerprints on everything! Probably not going to happen, but meh, why not bring it up for discussion. 

Roster wise, I hope we don’t become the Saints where we keep pushing/extending our players contracts to the right. We’ll have so much dead money tied up in these players it will be unfortunate. We need to find our core guys and start weeding out or trading players. It’s unfortunate, but has to be a realistic conversation. We are already over the cap and we will have to pay Brock next year. We need to draft Oline over DLine because it’s noticeable that Oline seems to have the advantage in crunch time and as much as I don’t want to mention, they can get away with penalties. 

Food for thought! But we need to hit on this draft in such a big way! 

6 hours ago, JIllg said:

The team also has (had) very few roster hole to fill. They have basically the same cast minus some mercenaries and rotation guys. Greenlaw is now the major exception. Along with a starting defensive end. And fixing the weakest unit of the season if we can in the offensive line.

Correct. Depth will be important along with the secondary pieces (pass rusher #2, maybe another competing CB, etc). Biggest holes are the right side of the offensive line and then replacing Dre. 

Hopefully there are some guys out there that just want to play for the niners that we can get on the cheap 

• Like 1

Brandon Aiyuk's girl's cryptic remarks about the future...

Weird, because I'm pretty sure the 49ers will pony up the $$$ to keep him around if that's what she's getting at. 

But it might just be some family drama, and not have anything to do with Aiyuk's future as a 49er. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Brandon Aiyuk's girl's cryptic remarks about the future...

Weird, because I'm pretty sure the 49ers will pony up the $$$ to keep him around if that's what she's getting at. 

But it might just be some family drama, and not have anything to do with Aiyuk's future as a 49er. 

lol there's more!

we are one day into the off season lol 

• Like 2

I feel like running it back would be a huge mistake.

There's an inevitable rebuild coming sooner than later and i think they need to get out ahead of it and not wait for the bottom to completely fall out. 

If they can start chunking away at it now - they have enough other pieces in place to still make a playoff run. 

The offense as is doesn't work in the playoffs. 4 times in the post season and 4 times it's the reason the 49ers have exited the playoffs. 

They have too much trouble coming back from negative plays and key player injuries. (See: Cleveland, Minnesota)

I would start with rebuilding the O-line and D-line around Bosa and Banks and if possible cut ties with veterans on the wrong side of 30 (Armstead, Kittle, Williams) if possible.

We need to start clearing cap space and bringing in younger, hungrier players 

Edited by Herodreamer79

1 hour ago, Herodreamer79 said:

There's an inevitable rebuild coming sooner than later and i think they need to get out ahead of it and not wait for the bottom to completely fall out. 

If they can start chunking away at it now - they have enough other pieces in place to still make a playoff run. 

The offense as is doesn't work in the playoffs. 4 times in the post season and 4 times it's the reason the 49ers have exited the playoffs. 

They have too much trouble coming back from negative plays and key player injuries. (See: Cleveland, Minnesota)

I would start with rebuilding the O-line and D-line around Bosa and Banks and if possible cut ties with veterans on the wrong side of 30 (Armstead, Kittle, Williams) if possible.

You really believe that Kittle, Armstead and Williams aren't hungry enough after most have lost 2 Superbowls? They will be hungrier than ever. They are also at an age that some players play for less to get that ring.

However I do agree that we need to get better in the trenches and that needs to come from the draft. Would love to see us get JPJ in the 1st but he will probably go higher after his senior bowl practices. But we definitely need a new Center and a new RT so these should be our 1st 2 picks. McKivitz and Brendel should be high end career back ups that can do the job when required.

9 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

You really believe that Kittle, Armstead and Williams aren't hungry enough after most have lost 2 Superbowls? They will be hungrier than ever. They are also at an age that some players play for less to get that ring.

better to move on a year too early than a year too late. 

10 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

I made reference to this as well, and I would respect the hell out of them for making a big change, but the truth is that there's no real good options for this besides Aiyuk. 

Armstead isn't giving you much of a return, and he doesn't save you anything trading him so moving him for a 4th round pick is not going to happen. 

Kittle only saves you 3.5. If you get first for Kittle, I could see why that would appeal to some, though I don't think you're getting a first for Kittle. 

Deebo saves like 6 million, again, first round pick maybe there's merit to that. I don't know that anyone is giving up a first for Deebo and you'd probably have to spend more than you save to get any sort of adequate replacement there. 

You shouldn't be moving Warner under any circumstances. What he does against offenses over the middle of the field is rare. You ride that until the wheels fall off in this league. 

Hargrave's contract is upside down, so can't move that. 

There just aren't a lot of major options there.

My biggest concern with moving Aiyuk, we don’t have a replacement that can fit in his role. Yes, I understand we would HAVE to draft his replacement, but Kyle doesn’t trust/like playing rookies right away, especially receivers. He wants them to block, etc. I just have a feeling if we trade Aiyuk our offense is going to take a huge hit and yes I understand we can’t keep them all. This is why I feel like us moving contracts further down the line is/was going to hurt us. I honestly feel like Kittle maybe gone sooner rather than later, probably why we took 2 (TE) last year. 

I personally think the comments/posts coming from Aiyuk and his family is coming out of frustration and I don’t blame them. Money will cure all. 

Edited by StevenK
  • Like 1