2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

14 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I just read the Justin Rogers stepped down as Lions Beat Writer for the Detroit News.  That is a real bummer.  He was arguably the best Lions Beat Writer that I have read in a while.  Ugh.  Hopefully, the get a solid replacement.

He stepped down when they finally are good? I know there are a multitude of reasons he would have left, but I'm going with it must have really sucked to work there. Can't imagine all the years writing for Mlive (and the news) when they sucked, to being legitimate contenders and walking away.

3 hours ago, LionArkie said:

He stepped down when they finally are good? I know there are a multitude of reasons he would have left, but I'm going with it must have really sucked to work there. Can't imagine all the years writing for Mlive (and the news) when they sucked, to being legitimate contenders and walking away.

He didn't mention what his new gig would be.  It will probably come out in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully, it is a step up for him.  He has definitely paid his dues and done some very good work.

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

He didn't mention what his new gig would be.  It will probably come out in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully, it is a step up for him.  He has definitely paid his dues and done some very good work.

I remember reading Mitch Albom when he first started doing columns for the Free Press.  Who knows, maybe Justin Rogers could be starting a similar career arc

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel better about Jared Goff's deal after seeing how much Green Bay paid Jordan Love?  He had a great season last year but that is a lot of cash to throw at someone with just a single high-level season under his belt.

If I was a NFL player I'd want his agent to be my agent. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions have given Taylor Decker a 3-year extension.  I don't know the full details but if it follows the usual Lions contracts it will work out well for both sides.  I am glad they don't have this hanging over their heads during the season.

Taylor Decker agrees to three-year extension with Lions - NBC Sports

3 years $60 million with $32 million guaranteed.

• Like 2

I'm glad we got it done and I am assuming this will push some of his current cap hit out further and spread his void year money over the next 3.  Also wondering how its structured assuming they add a void year or will add that if cap space is needed.  I hope there isn't because I hate kicking the can down the road if we don't have to but I know its a method a lot of teams are using right now.  Its good to likely have a career Detroit Lion who didn't demand he reset the market but got a nice little bump in salary to match his recent production.  This makes him the 7th highest paid LT and the 10th highest paid OT in general.  It makes our OT's the highest paid duo in the league.  

Side note, Holmes mentioned that they are in discussion with Alim McNeil as well.  Would be nice to keep the core together with him staying.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm glad we got it done and I am assuming this will push some of his current cap hit out further and spread his void year money over the next 3.  Also wondering how its structured assuming they add a void year or will add that if cap space is needed.  I hope there isn't because I hate kicking the can down the road if we don't have to but I know its a method a lot of teams are using right now.  Its good to likely have a career Detroit Lion who didn't demand he reset the market but got a nice little bump in salary to match his recent production.  This makes him the 7th highest paid LT and the 10th highest paid OT in general.  It makes our OT's the highest paid duo in the league.  

Side note, Holmes mentioned that they are in discussion with Alim McNeil as well.  Would be nice to keep the core together with him staying.  

Alim McNeill is going to be tricky.  He was a top 6-10 DT last year.  He hasn't really hit the Chris Jones dominance level though.  I don't think he will be getting a market-setting contract but it will be pretty high.  If I had to guess it would come in at around $$20 million per season but it could go down to $18 or 19 million per season.

42 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Alim McNeill is going to be tricky.  He was a top 6-10 DT last year.  He hasn't really hit the Chris Jones dominance level though.  I don't think he will be getting a market-setting contract but it will be pretty high.  If I had to guess it would come in at around $$20 million per season but it could go down to $18 or 19 million per season.

I don't think there is a chance we sign him for under $20M per year. I agree he isn't in the Chris Jones realm but this year the APY for DTs that signed were:

Chris Jones - 31.75M
Christian Wilkins - 27.5M
Justin Madubuike - 24.5M
Derrick Brown - 24M
Christian Barmore - 20.75M

In 2023 these guys signed:

Quinnen Williams - 24M
Jeff Simmons - 23.5M
Daron Payne - 22.5M
Dexter Lawrence - 21.875M
Javon Hargrave - 21M
Ed Oliver - 18M

Christian Barmore is the 12th highest paid DT on a per year basis and Alim graded higher than him last year but Barmore had a couple more sacks.  Derrick Brown has similar PFF grades as McNeil and fewer sacks (only 2 this year, 1 in 2022).  Wilkins 2022 season was similar to McNeil's 2023 although Wilkins did have a lot more tackles. Madubuike had very little production until this year when he blew up with sack numbers but a meh overall grade. 

So figuring out where McNeil fits in the ranking is important if we resign him now.  I would say he likely should be below Brown has he has a bigger sample size but he is better than Barmore.  Given contracts to top rated players rarely go backwards, I don't think we sign him for anything under 21M per and likely are closer to that 24M per of Brown.  If not, he needs to fire his agent.  

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think there is a chance we sign him for under $20M per year. I agree he isn't in the Chris Jones realm but this year the APY for DTs that signed were:

Chris Jones - 31.75M
Christian Wilkins - 27.5M
Justin Madubuike - 24.5M
Derrick Brown - 24M
Christian Barmore - 20.75M

In 2023 these guys signed:

Quinnen Williams - 24M
Jeff Simmons - 23.5M
Daron Payne - 22.5M
Dexter Lawrence - 21.875M
Javon Hargrave - 21M
Ed Oliver - 18M

Christian Barmore is the 12th highest paid DT on a per year basis and Alim graded higher than him last year but Barmore had a couple more sacks.  Derrick Brown has similar PFF grades as McNeil and fewer sacks (only 2 this year, 1 in 2022).  Wilkins 2022 season was similar to McNeil's 2023 although Wilkins did have a lot more tackles. Madubuike had very little production until this year when he blew up with sack numbers but a meh overall grade. 

So figuring out where McNeil fits in the ranking is important if we resign him now.  I would say he likely should be below Brown has he has a bigger sample size but he is better than Barmore.  Given contracts to top rated players rarely go backwards, I don't think we sign him for anything under 21M per and likely are closer to that 24M per of Brown.  If not, he needs to fire his agent.  

He is definitely better than Ed Oliver.  That move by the Bills was a real head-scratcher.  He will probably come in slight above Christian Barmore if I had to guess.

• Like 1