2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

I have had some mixed feelings on this whole FA this offseason over the past 12 hrs.

I think I have landed on the fact this regime is very confident in their scouting and their drafting.  They want to draft well, resign those players to longer deals and fill certain voids with small additions.

Compared to the past that drafted poorly overall and had to try and fill voids with large contracts.

I honestly prefer what they are doing now as long as they keep hitting on draft picks.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I have had some mixed feelings on this whole FA this offseason over the past 12 hrs.

I think I have landed on the fact this regime is very confident in their scouting and their drafting.  They want to draft well, resign those players to longer deals and fill certain voids with small additions.

Compared to the past that drafted poorly overall and had to try and fill voids with large contracts.

I honestly prefer what they are doing now as long as they keep hitting on draft picks.

Great observation.  They also seem confident in the player development aspects.

I wanted one of the bigger name DT signed even though it’s not this groups style to spend big $$$

Im impatient but have faith in Holmes 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Exactly. Fill depth holes in free agency with short term small contracts and draft talent. I’m all about this philosophy. I do expect them to address DT, G and WR still in free agency but there are still tons of players left. I like what they’ve done so far. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Exactly. Fill depth holes in free agency with short term small contracts and draft talent. I’m all about this philosophy. I do expect them to address DT, G and WR still in free agency but there are still tons of players left. I like what they’ve done so far. 

As I stated I’m impatient but I love what they’ve done. The big money additions are frequently disappointing.

• Like 1

Draft is always the first priority.

That being said, we need to temper our expectations with Holmes' draft hit rate. He is batting way above average, partially because he's had more draft capital, and now that he has less capital, don't just expect 4 contributors per draft. Even good GMs are lucky to hit 50% on their draft picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I really like it. 

Based on what is being said by other folks, signing Amik Robertson could turn out to be a better signing that we think.  Check out what was said by folks in Las Vegas.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2024/3/12/24098759/detroit-lions-sign-amik-robertson-free-agency-raiders-fans-analysts-reactions

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Draft is always the first priority.

That being said, we need to temper our expectations with Holmes' draft hit rate. He is batting way above average, partially because he's had more draft capital, and now that he has less capital, don't just expect 4 contributors per draft. Even good GMs are lucky to hit 50% on their draft picks.

The good thing about this year is that the draft is deep extremely deep in OT and CB where we have significant needs.  It is a pretty good class at OG and PK also.  There are some solid C prospect to be had if they really want one as well.  Even if we don't move around in Rounds 1-3 we should have a shot at some pretty good players.  The #73 pick from the Hockenson trade looks like a perfect spot to pick up a starting OG prospect.  If they came away with Darius Robinson at 29, Max Melton at 61 and the best OL prospect available at 73 it would be a really good draft.

For some reason Max Melton has been flying under the radar by the a lot of media draft sites.  Max Melton was considered a potential 1st-round pick last year and he arguably had a better year in 2023.  From the Combine:  5'11", 187, 32.125 arm length, 9.125" hand width, a 1.51/4.39 40, 40"vertical and 11'4" broadjump.  He also has pretty good college stats.  He seems like at least as good a prospect as Ennis Rakestraw.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/max-melton-1.html

Edited by Just Want A Title