2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I strongly disagree with this statement.  Barmore had similarly meh years his first couple of years and then had a good year this year earning the contract.  Alim was rated higher on PFF, had close to as many sacks, and is a better run defender.  

I would say the biggest difference is that Barmore played more DE than Alim did.  

If Alim has another year like he had, he will likely end up getting a top5 DT contract and price himself out of staying in Detroit.  

Well Detroit seems to be expecting that and taking DT in draft to prepare for his departure 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I strongly disagree with this statement.  Barmore had similarly meh years his first couple of years and then had a good year this year earning the contract.  Alim was rated higher on PFF, had close to as many sacks, and is a better run defender.  

I would say the biggest difference is that Barmore played more DE than Alim did.  

If Alim has another year like he had, he will likely end up getting a top5 DT contract and price himself out of staying in Detroit.  

We could afford to resign Alim.. we could afford to resign almost everyone. 

Just don't expect any FA signings from outside in '25. Like Dallas right now.

17 minutes ago, General Tso said:

We could afford to resign Alim.. we could afford to resign almost everyone. 

Just don't expect any FA signings from outside in '25. Like Dallas right now.

Just like the Chiefs could have kept Snead but they know they need other things more.  I love having home grown talent but we can't keep everyone.  I wouldn't be shocked if we franchise tag him and then either trade him or let him play out the year on the tag.  But I would be shocked if we give him a big contract just ahead of Hutch needing one and after giving Sewell and ARSB.  

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Just like the Chiefs could have kept Snead but they know they need other things more.  I love having home grown talent but we can't keep everyone.  I wouldn't be shocked if we franchise tag him and then either trade him or let him play out the year on the tag.  But I would be shocked if we give him a big contract just ahead of Hutch needing one and after giving Sewell and ARSB.  

I think the choice is between Decker and McNeil.

12 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I think the choice is between Decker and McNeil.

We will see, but I think Decker signs for a much more reasonable contract to stay in Detroit if we want him.  McNeil will be a significant contract and not sure we can afford a top 5 WR, OT, DT and DE.  If Sewell is any indication, we will try and extend Hutch next year when eligible and I think thats the decision.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We will see, but I think Decker signs for a much more reasonable contract to stay in Detroit if we want him.  McNeil will be a significant contract and not sure we can afford a top 5 WR, OT, DT and DE.  If Sewell is any indication, we will try and extend Hutch next year when eligible and I think thats the decision.  

Eh Idk, the Eagles seem to keep coming up with money from nowhere.

Mailata just signed a 22M/year contract. That is the cap for Decker, but 18/year seems ok. He's making 15 now.

I have never really paid attention to front office moves but I saw this article about the Bears parting ways with someone who has been an award winning scout with their organization.  You can never have too many good scouts.  John Dorsey is getting up there so maybe there could be a place for this guy with the Lions.

https://www.chicitysports.com/chicago-bears-let-go-of-top-national-scout

22 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions re-sign CJ Moore to a 1 yr deal after his year suspension was lifted by the league. Great ST player and S depth. 

Good to keep adding depth but wish we had someone with more upside.  Either way, it was an area of concern so any extra bodies fighting for roster spots is a good thing.  

4 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Schedule release tonight.

Fact Det is only team not to have to travel overseas form division is a huge plus imo. 

Thats actually shocking given I think the Lions have a lot of international following.  There was quite a contingent in Detroit for the draft even from Europe. 

Rumor is we will kick off the season on a Sunday night game and that we play San Fran on Monday in week 17.  

• Like 1