2024 Hitman's Steeler Mock 2.0

I will try to do one of these as scenarios and or circumstances can/may change. I won't use a simulator but rather draft rankings, team needs, some intangibles and predictions. Here's Hitman's Mock  2.0 Pre NFL Combine.

Amarius-Mims.jpg

With the 20th pick the Steelers select Amarius Mims OT UGA 6'6 330. 

I wanted Center JPJ, but he is gone to the Bengals who pull another ****** and grab of getting the player the Steelers were targeting. There is a first round run on CB's and OT's.  Mims is actually the fifth OT taken in the first round thus far and the top three CB's are gone as well. OT is fixed for the next 10-12 years.

ZACH-FRAZIER.jpg

With the 51st pick the Steelers select Zach Frazier OC WVU 6'2 310.  I considered DL, CB, and ILB.  He survives due to injury concerns and other free agent signings. Two big OL needs off the table. Franchise Center here we come.

AA1iCbad.img?w=2272&h=1515&m=4&q=94

With the 84th pick the Steelers select Kalen King CB PSU 6' 190. 

Slipping because of game tape and some practices at the Sr. Bowl, but 2022 tape was very good when teamed with JP Jr. He gets teamed with him again in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the results are like in 2022. Example: He is this years Marcus Wheaton (former WR who slipped in the draft some years back to the Steelers).  I.E. Better results than practices and numbers.

maxresdefault.jpg

With the 119th pick the Steelers select Malachi Corley WR 6' 190. 

Bringing toughness back to Pittsburgh One position at a time. Good spot to select this talent and can move into the #3 WR spot. Only player that I took in both mock's thus far. One of my favorite players. Every year we get man crushes on guys we want to see in black n gold.

leonard-taylor-scouting-report.jpg

With the 120th pick the Steelers select Leonard Taylor 5Tech DE 6'3 300. 

DL needs some youth, muscle and strength. Next Tuitt/Cam type for the DL.Good value who is too good to pass up here.

10675164.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,of

With the 197th pick the Steelers select McKinley Jackson NG Texas A& M 6'2 330. 

More help on the DL with size, strength and youth. Went back to back with DL and this guy is potential rotational DL for early downs. Not much in the pass rush game, but can clog the middle and keep the LB'ers clean and flowing..

Rehkow%20Ray%20Guy%20watch%20list.jpeg?i

With the 238th pick the Steelers select Ryan Rehkow Punter BYU 6'5 235. 

Gonna try to fix the punting game.  Again!!! Big leg and not as well known as Iowas Tory Taylor. Not even completely sure that he makes it this far.  For my mock, he is here.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I will try to do one of these as scenarios and or circumstances can/may change. I won't use a simulator but rather draft rankings, team needs, some intangibles and predictions. Here's Hitman's Mock  2.0 Pre NFL Combine.

Amarius-Mims.jpg

With the 20th pick the Steelers select Amarius Mims OT UGA 6'6 330. 

I wanted Center JPJ, but he is gone to the Bengals who pull another ****** and grab of getting the player the Steelers were targeting. There is a first round run on CB's and OT's.  Mims is actually the fifth OT taken in the first round thus far and the top three CB's are gone as well. OT is fixed for the next 10-12 years.

ZACH-FRAZIER.jpg

With the 51st pick the Steelers select Zach Frazier OC WVU 6'2 310.  I considered DL, CB, and ILB.  He survives due to injury concerns and other free agent signings. Two big OL needs off the table. Franchise Center here we come.

AA1iCbad.img?w=2272&h=1515&m=4&q=94

With the 84th pick the Steelers select Kalen King CB PSU 6' 190. 

Slipping because of game tape and some practices at the Sr. Bowl, but 2022 tape was very good when teamed with JP Jr. He gets teamed with him again in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the results are like in 2022. Example: He is this years Marcus Wheaton (former WR who slipped in the draft some years back to the Steelers).  I.E. Better results than practices and numbers.

maxresdefault.jpg

With the 119th pick the Steelers select Malachi Corley WR 6' 190. 

Bringing toughness back to Pittsburgh One position at a time. Good spot to select this talent and can move into the #3 WR spot. Only player that I took in both mock's thus far. One of my favorite players. Every year we get man crushes on guys we want to see in black n gold.

leonard-taylor-scouting-report.jpg

With the 120th pick the Steelers select Leonard Taylor 5Tech DE 6'3 300. 

DL needs some youth, muscle and strength. Next Tuitt/Cam type for the DL.Good value who is too good to pass up here.

10675164.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,of

With the 197th pick the Steelers select McKinley Jackson NG Texas A& M 6'2 330. 

More help on the DL with size, strength and youth. Went back to back with DL and this guy is potential rotational DL for early downs. Not much in the pass rush game, but can clog the middle and keep the LB'ers clean and flowing..

Rehkow%20Ray%20Guy%20watch%20list.jpeg?i

With the 238th pick the Steelers select Ryan Rehkow Punter BYU 6'5 235. 

Gonna try to fix the punting game.  Again!!! Big leg and not as well known as Iowas Tory Taylor. Not even completely sure that he makes it this far.  For my mock, he is here.

Thoughts?

I like the draft, but Kalen King looked terrible in the Senior Bowl practices, which scares me there. I’m all for Taylor as a five tech if his arms are 34 inches or so. I really think Mims may have more upside, for when he is drafted, than any other player taken in the first two rounds.

• Like 1

I like it, but I just feel like the Steelers wont draft go OL twice in the first 2 picks, or even 3.    Certainly possible, but I feel like they will address OT or C in free agency and draft the other in the first 3 rounds.

Also wouldnt be shocked if our starting center for 24 isnt already on the roster.   I know Mason Cole is meh, and I believe they see a need to get better there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were okay giving him another year if they cant find an upgrade.   Also there is the outside chance they could try Daniels there this year and have a competition at RG.   Doubtful, but possible.

While Khan and Weidl may approach things differently than Colbert, I think the one area that will remain similar is they will try to make it so that they can go BPA at any area of need in the draft.   So, if this team identifies, say....RT, S and CB as our top needs, I think they will address them the best they can in free agency and allow themselves the freedom to go almost any direction early in the draft.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rlon said:

I like the draft, but Kalen King looked terrible in the Senior Bowl practices, which scares me there.

No doubt there are some concerns with how he looked and game tape in 22 versus 23. I kind of think he will trend back up. I used the Markus Wheaton comparison as he was a guy who kind of dropped due to senior year, bowl games/practice/his Combine. Maybe switch him and Malachi Corley whom, I am liking more and more.

I’m all for Taylor as a five tech if his arms are 34 inches or so.

Great point. One of the reasons I used the picture with his wingspan. 🤫 We will find out at the Combine. We need those guys to be  long armed and yet have good leverage.

I really think Mims may have more upside, for when he is drafted, than any other player taken in the first two rounds.

I don't disagree, but how other teams view people and who they like plays a big role.  The early predictions are there may be as many as 8 first rounders and between 15-20 through the first three rounds. That's a lot of talent. Because of that, teams evaluate and value differently.

14 hours ago, mwalker said:

I like the players, other than King at CB.
He just got so ripped up against NFL talent this year.

In retrospect, I probably should have taken him later or took another higher rated player at another position. I do think he has some upside and will be better. I do think the Steelers try to get a big splash at CB. Insurance for Trice as well.

I love Corley if he falls that far.

My early draft man-crush is definitely Corley!😘😍

10 hours ago, 43M said:

I like it, but I just feel like the Steelers wont draft go OL twice in the first 2 picks, or even 3.   Certainly possible, but I feel like they will address OT or C in free agency and draft the other in the first 3 rounds.

I think it depends on what they do in free agency. It is no secret that OC and OT are two off-season priorities. They also need a CB, DL, Safety, ILB. If the value is there, I think they do it.

I think that they may get a security blanket at one or both and then draft. As I play through this in my mind, this prevents making either position a must and we avoid a potential Jarvis Jones type situation.

Also wouldn't be shocked if our starting center for 24 isn't already on the roster.   I know Mason Cole is meh, and I believe they see a need to get better there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were okay giving him another year if they cant find an upgrade.   

I think Mason starting is a worse case scenario.  I don't think they mind him as a back-up, but certainly not as a starter. There are upgrades in both the draft and free agency.

Also there is the outside chance they could try Daniels there this year and have a competition at RG.   Doubtful, but possible.

Moving Daniels potentially weakens two positions. I don't see Daniels getting moved. Biadscz, Cushenberry, JPJ, Frazier, and Van Pran. They have better options.

While Khan and Weidl may approach things differently than Colbert, I think the one area that will remain similar is they will try to make it so that they can go BPA at any area of need in the draft.   

I definitely agree with that and I am a big proponent of drafting the BPA.  I think the Steelers realize that they have to fix the OL and rushing attack. Protect your QB with a rushing attack and pass protector.

So, if this team identifies, say....RT, S and CB as our top needs, I think they will address them the best they can in free agency and allow themselves the freedom to go almost any direction early in the draft.

They have Moore to put as a back-up, so I would go either RT or LT.  He's in the last year of his rookie deal. There will also be more cuts prior to free agency that may help at  other spots. I don't think the Steelers will spend big at every position, but I could see CB being a $pla$h.

On 2/18/2024 at 2:26 AM, 43M said:

I like it, but I just feel like the Steelers wont draft go OL twice in the first 2 picks, or even 3.    Certainly possible, but I feel like they will address OT or C in free agency and draft the other in the first 3 rounds.

While I enjoy doing mocks, FA is going to change the complexion of this draft so much.  We got so many needs, but many of them have decent FA groups at C, CB, S.  

While Khan and Weidl may approach things differently than Colbert, I think the one area that will remain similar is they will try to make it so that they can go BPA at any area of need in the draft.   So, if this team identifies, say....RT, S and CB as our top needs, I think they will address them the best they can in free agency and allow themselves the freedom to go almost any direction early in the draft.

And that's exactly what I want them to do.  I think a major failing of Colbert late in his career was he often cut the cap wiggle room too close, didn't have a ton of space to fill all the holes well enough, and went into the draft having some major holes.  And it could be forgiven if you get some of the top end players at the position, but take 2021 for example, when you go into the draft with needs at LT, C, RB; then you go RB, TE, Convert C, LT in your first four rounds it's bound to fail.

I really want Khan and Weidl to get us back to that spot where you can go BPA because you do feel confident enough with the penciled in starter that you don't need to draft a specific position but there's many positions where you can upgrade over what you currently have. I really think that's what will let us get back to where we were in the early 2000's.  Get back to draft just the best guy that falls, or go get the guy you want.

What really can make me excited about this new leadership is being in position to take BPA - and moving down because you don't need to take a specific position, so they see the value in being able to still get a highly rated player while getting assets to do more of the same of taking a talented player and giving them time to develop rather than expecting them to contribute.

• Like 3

Also wouldnt be shocked if our starting center for 24 isnt already on the roster.   I know Mason Cole is meh, and I believe they see a need to get better there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were okay giving him another year if they cant find an upgrade.   Also there is the outside chance they could try Daniels there this year and have a competition at RG.   Doubtful, but possible.

I've seen Depth Charts listing showing Spencer Anderson at OC.  It would make sense, since his arm length it just 32 6/8", and the fact that he apparently played some snaps in college at OC, according to NFL Draft Buzz (great site, assuming their info about where prospects played is accurate).

Regardless, even if Mason Cole is not retained, we might have 2 other potential options at OC on the roster, with Daniels and Anderson, so picking up a Biadasz or Shelton as either insurance, or as a starter, might be the best decision, especially if we keep Pickett as starter; pairing him with a brand new-to-the-NFL OC may not be giving Pickett the best chance to succeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

While I enjoy doing mocks, FA is going to change the complexion of this draft so much.  We got so many needs, but many of them have decent FA groups at C, CB, S.  

And that's exactly what I want them to do.  I think a major failing of Colbert late in his career was he often cut the cap wiggle room too close, didn't have a ton of space to fill all the holes well enough, and went into the draft having some major holes.  And it could be forgiven if you get some of the top end players at the position, but take 2021 for example, when you go into the draft with needs at LT, C, RB; then you go RB, TE, Convert C, LT in your first four rounds it's bound to fail.

I really want Khan and Weidl to get us back to that spot where you can go BPA because you do feel confident enough with the penciled in starter that you don't need to draft a specific position but there's many positions where you can upgrade over what you currently have. I really think that's what will let us get back to where we were in the early 2000's.  Get back to draft just the best guy that falls, or go get the guy you want.

What really can make me excited about this new leadership is being in position to take BPA - and moving down because you don't need to take a specific position, so they see the value in being able to still get a highly rated player while getting assets to do more of the same of taking a talented player and giving them time to develop rather than expecting them to contribute.

th?id=OIP.q8Tn-8T0y3-RK1ZV7jm5IQAAAA&pid

Well said!!!!

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

I've seen Depth Charts listing showing Spencer Anderson at OC.  It would make sense, since his arm length it just 32 6/8", and the fact that he apparently played some snaps in college at OC, according to NFL Draft Buzz (great site, assuming their info about where prospects played is accurate).

He was a pleasent surprise, but is also an unknown. You certainly hope for the best, but I learned from having no one behind Pouncey that you need someone established or a strong developmental person who can take over. 

Regardless, even if Mason Cole is not retained, we might have 2 other potential options at OC on the roster, with Daniels and Anderson, so picking up a Biadasz or Shelton as either insurance, or as a starter, might be the best decision, especially if we keep Pickett as starter; pairing him with a brand new-to-the-NFL OC may not be giving Pickett the best chance to succeed.

I hear a lot of people suggesting to move Daniels.  It could work, but you weaken another position. Plus you also have to expect transition as Daniels hasn't played OC in several years. Biadsz, Cushenberry and Shelton have all played Center regularly and I would consider an upgrade over Mason. Mason's problem is his cap hit of $6 million and his bad snaps, inconsistent blocking, and struggling against stout NG/DT's.

There is just no smash to play smashmouth. I would still look to get one of the Big tree (JPJ, Frazier, or Van Pran). It has been ignored for far too long.  It needs to be a priority to get a franchise C, and LT at minimal for a young QB.  Anderson has flexibility along with Herbig.  I like the fact that there are guys to place there in an emergency, but I also hope and pray, I don't need it. Kind of like car insurance. You have to have it, but pray that you never need it.