Needs: Free Agent and Draft

onejayhawk

After winning a Super Bowl in a consolidation year, our needs are limited. However, a few crop up. 

• Kelce will be 35, is starting to show the age, and has a significant distraction.
  • We have a WR1 and some depth pieces but WR2 is wide open.
  • Morris can step into LT but RT is still an issue
  • Tranquil and Gay will likely sign elsewhere
  • Even if Chris Jones re-signs it's likely a one-year deal

Did I miss any big ones?

Defensive Tackle position is huge cause Jones, Nandi, Wharton are free agents I belive. Courbon was drafted and released last year. Even if we sign Jones back, we're gonna need a NT to play alongside him and depth behind him at the 3T position.

57 minutes ago, Bullyball said:

Defensive Tackle position is huge cause Jones, Nandi, Wharton are free agents I belive. Courbon was drafted and released last year. Even if we sign Jones back, we're gonna need a NT to play alongside him and depth behind him at the 3T position.

Jones is the big deal. Wharton and Nnadi are lunchpail guys. I think that you mean Coburn from the draft. He was cut but re-signed to PS. I am unsure of his current status.

We made do with Mike Pennel in the playoffs. Isaiah Buggs is still around. There are names to sort but a move is likely in both FA and the draft.

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I think that you mean Coburn from the draft. He was cut but re-signed to PS. I am unsure of his current status.

He was signed by the Titans I believe at one point, not sure what happened there.

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

After winning a Super Bowl in a consolidation year, our needs are limited. However, a few crop up. 

• Kelce will be 35, is starting to show the age, and has a significant distraction.
  • We have a WR1 and some depth pieces but WR2 is wide open.
  • Morris can step into LT but RT is still an issue
  • Tranquil and Gay will likely sign elsewhere
  • Even if Chris Jones re-signs it's likely a one-year deal

Did I miss any big ones?

I have WAY less faith in Morris than you do clearly, I hope he can be a swing tackle.  I don’t think his presence affects our draft one way or another. I would think Taylor, the guy with the worst tell in the business affects the right tackle draft more simply by dollars invested (to be clear, not advocating that Taylor is good enough, or even good at all). My guess is we look at tackle both in FA and the draft, wouldn’t shock me to take one early that maybe has experience at both positions.

While my main belief is we won’t pick at 32, WR just feels like the play. Moving up a few for a guy like Keon Coleman, or back a few and taking a guy like Malachi Corley/Devontez Walker or another guy we fall in love with makes sense too.  

I think the first round pick (if we stay) is really going to be hard to narrow down until we’re know FA. Lose Sneed, CB goes way up though there is some talent in the mid rounds, lose Jones and we’re probably looking at DT in maybe 2 of the first 4 because of other FA, cut Toney, Moore (Alex that makes sense dollars wise), and likely MVS based on current salary and no dead cap…WR likely hits in first two rounds unless one of the FA WRs that we’re always a fit for ACTUALLY SIGNS…but I’d still take another guy early.

I think we look at FA for a low cost younger tight end.  This isn’t the year to draft one if you need someone to be a real contributor, and I’d prefer to have NFL game film. Preference would be stay the course with Trav, Gray and Fortson who is looking fantastic coming back from injury.

Morris showed plenty in limited work. The problem is that he was a rookie and plenty for a rookie is a limiting standard. Regardless, I would be willing to pencil him as the starting LT. The situation at RT is more concerning but we are contractually stuck with that one. 

Given the learning curve our WR experience, a 1st-round pick seems unlikely, especially not by moving up. No one we take will be ready to play. We can get a premium DT or RT with that pick. Another WR in #50 - #100 range seems more likely. Instead, what veteran WR would be willing to sign low, like JuJu. A year with Mahomes can repair a lot of damaged reputation. I am not convinced that the bottom of the roster is finished. Kadarius Toney could come around while Skyy Moore and Justyn Ross could step forward.

On other matters, we will lose a lot of defensive depth. Even if we re-sign all of the significant DL players, we will lose at least one significant member of both parts of the back seven--Edwards, Tranquill, Gay--with more coming next season. We will need a LB and a S somewhere.  

On 2/20/2024 at 7:17 PM, onejayhawk said:

Morris showed plenty in limited work. The problem is that he was a rookie and plenty for a rookie is a limiting standard. Regardless, I would be willing to pencil him as the starting LT. The situation at RT is more concerning but we are contractually stuck with that one. 

Given the learning curve our WR experience, a 1st-round pick seems unlikely, especially not by moving up. No one we take will be ready to play. We can get a premium DT or RT with that pick. Another WR in #50 - #100 range seems more likely. Instead, what veteran WR would be willing to sign low, like JuJu. A year with Mahomes can repair a lot of damaged reputation. I am not convinced that the bottom of the roster is finished. Kadarius Toney could come around while Skyy Moore and Justyn Ross could step forward.

On other matters, we will lose a lot of defensive depth. Even if we re-sign all of the significant DL players, we will lose at least one significant member of both parts of the back seven--Edwards, Tranquill, Gay--with more coming next season. We will need a LB and a S somewhere.  

So you’re comfortable with a guy who barely played but not a guy who has been a solid starter (though last year was bad, he dealt with a lot of targeting also).  If Morris was good enough, he would have taken over for Smith.  I just feel like we’re looking at Lucas Niang v.2. I hope he develops, but I don’t think if a guy like Morgan is there for our pick Morris is going to make them say, well, we don’t really need a tackle.

The WR Learning curve was blown up this year.  I just don’t feel like we’re picking at 32.  If we trade back a few picks I think it’s highly likely we go DT/WR regardless if we re-sign Jones.  If we move up I could easily see WR/CB/OT depending on what happens with Sneed. The guy I like for KC, if we go WR in the first round is Keon Coleman. Big, strong, hands catcher.  He’s a player that similar to Rashee Rice could come in and make enough plays to make a difference until he knew enough to make a difference.

My Wild Card in all this is landing in Cooper Beebe-ville. Versatile OL, played LT/RT/G all in one game multiple times last season.  Next year Smith is up for extension and a monster pay increase and we’ll have to figure out Thuney. 

I see defensive replacements/depth coming mid rounds, I like Tommy Eichenberg from Ohio State as a tackling machine.  Not as athletically gifted as Bolton but has an innate gift of being where the ball is. Then there’s a handful of big, hitting safeties that would be interesting for depth/special teams development.

Comfortable, no. Wanya Morris showed enough that I would trust him with the keys to the car. In his case, the bar is lower because of how good Donovan Smith wasn't. That still leaves RT which is a position we can reasonably get a starting player at #32.

What gives you the impression that the WR learning curve was blown up? After intense work and most of the season, Rice was a serviceable WR1. That's exactly the WR learning curve. I would not expect a typical late 1st-round pick to do as well as a rookie. We would do better investing in a DT or OT. Round #2 or #3 is soon enough.

Mid-rounds is where I see TE, RB, and WR being priorities. LB is another, but re-signing Sneed will solve a lot of problems. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Charles Omenihu, DL needs replacing. He's likely out until 2025

Likely not the whole year, but a November return might have the same effect. 

A contract extension on favorable terms could make him available for the playoffs. 

On 2/25/2024 at 12:55 PM, onejayhawk said:

Likely not the whole year, but a November return might have the same effect. 

A contract extension on favorable terms could make him available for the playoffs. 

Especially with his recent comments I think this is a move that makes sense.  Again, if it makes sense.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:51 PM, onejayhawk said:

What gives you the impression that the WR learning curve was blown up? After intense work and most of the season, Rice was a serviceable WR1.

In the past it’s been said at least year two.  Rice has shown that’s not always the case.  With the runs on OT/QB/CB possible ahead of us I think a guy like Coleman/Franklin could be there for our pick, and I’d likely go that route rather than an OT if say we were already past Jordan Morgan.

I think there’s better DT odds in round two, as it seems that’s where the sweet spot is for DT in this draft. Trading up or down I think is a huge possibility in this draft. However, I don’t think it changes any of the questions, lol.

If for some reason we sat at 32, and JJ or Nix is there, I could see team give up a a good amount, maybe adding next years 1, plus the obvious picks this year.

1) WR is off the board because he won't contribute right away
2) Trust Morris
3) Taylor was our best OT last year (outside of the penalties)

Not sure how OT can be considered to be produce early than WR if you trust Morris.     I'm not even against an OT early, but that just seems like a stretch to make it seem like WR is devalued.    

Here’s my shopping list for FA, now before anyone flames me, let me say that I am a total Willie Gay homer…but we can’t keep everyone and I think Tranquil would sign for a more team friendly deal.

Keep Jones/Sneed/Tranquil - if this is all we do, I’m ok. Maybe we look at one of next years guys.

OT- This is a pipe dream as with lack of options I think they’ll be over priced but

Josh Jones/Jonah Williams

WR - I’m not crazy about any big names, is this the year Odell finally comes here? But if it’s a wish list, it is Ridley, maybe Mooney though he had some concentration issues.

Find an edge rusher to rotate, Clowney to actually get a ring? I think we’ll draft depth but drafting a first rounder doesn’t seem to make as much sense with FAU/Karlaftis.