***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

On 12/22/2017 at 12:56 PM, sunnygsm said:

Depends how you want to perceive things.

I mean...usually you grow wiser and learn from past experiences as you grow older. 

It would make sense that Luke would be more likely to try and save Ben, than he would be to immediately even think about killing him. Especially since, y'know...he's his nephew and all, and up to that point hadn't done anything evil...unlike Vader...

What are the complaints?  I avoided this thread like the plague.  Literally the only complaint I can see is Leia forcing herself back.  After Carrie Fisher died, they should have done some light re-shoots and just made that her death.  That was the one complaint I had, but I can totally be absolutely fine with it.

Really, really, really, really loved this movie and I can't wait to watch it again. 

So far I've gathered people are arguing about Luke?  Find one single instance in the original trilogy in which Luke wasn't THE most instinctual character.  He acted 100% on instinct.  It was LITERALLY his entire weakness in the entire original trilogy.  Now people are judging the movie because Luke Skywalker acted on instinct and had to hold back from killing Ben? 

Lol.  This is absolute and total proof that people will find complaints to find complaints.  The movie was written and directed by one of the best directors working today and it was a damn good movie.  Twenty years from now, it will be remembered as a damn good movie. 

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

The compliant isn' that he held back on killing ben. The compliant is him thinking of killing ben when he always tried to save Darth. Rian completely changed who Luke was as a character, and we are suppose to just accept it because that's how Rian wrote it. 

No, I get the complaint. 

Luke was standing over Ben while Ben was sleeping.  He looked into his mind, saw terrifying darkness in Ben and, on INSTINCT, drew his lightsaber before changing his mind in the next instant. 

This just seems like the type of thing that will go on forever, just like who shot first, when it shouldn't.  Luke, on INSTINCT, after reading Ben's mind, almost did something about it.  Within the same five seconds, he chose not to. 

It's simple, and it's in keeping with the character of Luke that was created.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is just being upset because they're being dramatic. 

12 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Wasn't the whole reason and he went to ben who was sleeping was because Luke decided to kill him. 

No, he went to Ben, who was sleeping, and looked into his mind.  It wasn't until he looked into his mind that he (ON INSTINCT) turned on his lightsaber.  He explained this step by step to Rey.  I can see where the confusion is here, but no, Luke did not go to Ben while Ben was sleeping for the purpose of killing him.  It's why in Ben's version, the lightsaber is already on.

Luke didn't change at all.  Luke was always an instinctive man child.  Always.  I never liked him as a hero in the Star Wars series and Star Wars is literally the one series I love more than anything else.  What this episode did with Luke redeemed Luke completely in my eyes.  Luke finally grew up in this one.  He stopped being a pouter, he took accountability and he pulled like three consecutive BAMF moves to end the movie.

The Luke that we got in The Last Jedi is the very best Luke has EVER been.  I effing loved this movie. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

So far I've gathered people are arguing about Luke?  Find one single instance in the original trilogy in which Luke wasn't THE most instinctual character.  He acted 100% on instinct.  It was LITERALLY his entire weakness in the entire original trilogy.  Now people are judging the movie because Luke Skywalker acted on instinct and had to hold back from killing Ben? 

My roommate and I or on opposite sides of this opinion. I am with you, I saw no problem with Luke's depiction. My roommate read almost every piece of Extended Universe that has now been thrown out of cannon. Obviously that includes a TON of post RotJ Luke and who that guy is. What we ultimately decided is that EU fans hated this version of Luke and those who didnt read much if any of the old EU float on in blissful ignorance with the ability to take this Luke depiction at face value without it impeding on previous accepted cannon. 

20 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not a fan of the excessive comic relief. Luke brushing the dirt off his shoulder after he walked out unscathed from the blasts was just unnecessary. 

Too me that was just him trying to get under Kylo Ren skin some more. To finally get him down on the ground to fight and buy time for the others.

Archived