***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

New Expanded Universe? Has Disney approved this?

So everything that happened pre-Disney purchased is now called Legends, except for Episodes 1-6 and the Clone Wars TV show.  Legends is what was referred to as the Expanded Universe previously.  Now, everything since is called "canon" although I will refer to it at times as the new Expanded Universe (because some people believe that the Star Wars universe exists only in the movies.) 

The article I referenced in my post about the First Order, as well as the post itself, is based entirely in Disney canon content.  

As an aside, the only major players that have been pulled from the old EU and made a part of canon so far have been Thrawn and his command ship, Chimaira, as well as the Chiss species.  The MMO The Old Republic, while still operational and putting out new content, their content is all considered Legends.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So everything that happened pre-Disney purchased is now called Legends, except for Episodes 1-6 and the Clone Wars TV show.  Legends is what was referred to as the Expanded Universe previously.  Now, everything since is called "canon" although I will refer to it at times as the new Expanded Universe (because some people believe that the Star Wars universe exists only in the movies.) 

The article I referenced in my post about the First Order, as well as the post itself, is based entirely in Disney canon content.  

As an aside, the only major players that have been pulled from the old EU and made a part of canon so far have been Thrawn and his command ship, Chimaira, as well as the Chiss species.  The MMO The Old Republic, while still operational and putting out new content, their content is all considered Legends.  

This is beyond stupid. Goes to show Disney as being lazy and having no direction for this franchise.

So Legends which is not considered canon can bring a non canon character from it like Thrawn (who basically started the Expanded Universe) and make him canon. They consider this legit?

44 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

This is beyond stupid. Goes to show Disney as being lazy and having no direction for this franchise.

So Legends which is not considered canon can bring a non canon character from it like Thrawn (who basically started the Expanded Universe) and make him canon. They consider this legit?

You should probably read it before judging it considering you didnt even know any of this 30 minutes ago. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

You should probably read it before judging it considering you didnt even know any of this 30 minutes ago. 

You do understand what they just did though right?

It's hey Legends can be canon. But only if we say so. It either is, or it isn't. By them bringing in Thrawn, they opened the entire argument for anything in their version of Star Wars now by validating one character. Which means they can't say anymore that Legends isn't legit or can't be brought up when taking to criticism. Like when they say things that happened in the Expanded Universe doesn't count in this new trilogy in terms of inaccurate lore or contradictions. Even George Lucas didn't do anything that stupid. The most he ever did was use the name Coruscant as the Imperial Capital.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You do understand what they just did though right?

It's hey Legends can be canon. But only if we say so. It either is, or it isn't. By them bringing in Thrawn, they opened the entire argument for anything in their version of Star Wars now by validating one character. Which means they can't say anymore that Legends isn't legit or can't be brought up when taking to criticism. Like when they say things that happened in the Expanded Universe doesn't count in this new trilogy in terms of inaccurate lore or contradictions. Even George Lucas didn't do anything that stupid. The most he ever did was use the name Coruscant as the Imperial Capital.

Do you know anything about the old EU? It would be impossible to make new movies the old EU is so expansive post original trilogy. There were DECADES of books and comics. If they had kept all that, there wouldnt be anything new to tell. Anyone who has experience in the old EU will tell you it was necessary to make it not cannon. Clone Wars stuck because they stayed to the prequels instead of moving forward. The old EU went as far as 136 years post Return of the Jedi, it just covered too much and would be too limiting for ANYONE to create original movies. 

46 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Do you know anything about the old EU? It would be impossible to make new movies the old EU is so expansive post original trilogy. There were DECADES of books and comics. If they had kept all that, there wouldnt be anything new to tell. Anyone who has experience in the old EU will tell you it was necessary to make it not cannon. Clone Wars stuck because they stayed to the prequels instead of moving forward. The old EU went as far as 136 years post Return of the Jedi, it just covered too much and would be too limiting for ANYONE to create original movies. 

Sure thing. Which means if they said the EU was non canon. Then they should have left everything non canon.

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Sure thing. Which means if they said the EU was non canon. Then they should have left everything non canon.

Thrawn was an incredibly popular character. Why would they leave him in Legends and not take advantage of that popularity?

It's a different iteration of the character; that doesn't automatically open the door to all of Legends and say it can be considered Canon if people wanted to argue it.

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Thrawn was an incredibly popular character. Why would they leave him in Legends and not take advantage of that popularity?

It's a different iteration of the character; that doesn't automatically open the door to all of Legends and say it can be considered Canon if people wanted to argue it.

Im a huge Thrawn fan. But they shouldn't have. Disney said this is not the EU nor was it going to revolve around any of the stories of EU. They purposely invented Rey and Kylo the way they did so fan's couldn't say that they were Jacen and Jaina. But they took arguably the most popular character from that universe and made him a reality. They should have just have the role of Thrawn in the Empire taken up by some no name who was a throw away villain who gets killed by Maul or someone who represents more of Thrawn's bad azzery.

You can't say Legends isn't canon and then have something like this happen on top of stupid things like Rian bringing up parts of Legends in interviews to justify something that he did in the movie. By taking more and more source material from Legends you are basically saying it is real.

You keep saying that they shouldnt use Thrawn or anything from the old EU but you arent really offering a reason why. 

49 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

By taking more and more source material from Legends you are basically saying it is real.

And this simply isnt true. It supports your opinions to hate on anything Star Wars since Disney acquired it, but I cant think of another reason why you think it. 

31 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You keep saying that they shouldnt use Thrawn or anything from the old EU but you arent really offering a reason why. 

And this simply isnt true. It supports your opinions to hate on anything Star Wars since Disney acquired it, but I cant think of another reason why you think it. 

Because the company continiously loses credibility with what they state. They have used numerous things from both Legends and even Kotor despite saying neither is canon. They want to say this is something entirely new. How is it new if they are continuing to borrow source material from other Star Wars sources?

The concept of the FO going out into the unknown space I actually like. Because usually we hear in other material of threats just appearing from out of nowhere there. It does explain their vast resources. It's a nice bit of lore. It actually sounds original. Had they come out and stated they were reimagining these characters, places, technology, and such that would be one thing. Cause as you said the EU has a crap ton of story and lore, but that is not how they originally painted this universe being. They made the claim this is something entirely new and tried to pass it off as being original.

Lore and source material they took from numerous other Star Wars projects and most of the things they took the liberty on and bringing something new was crapping on beloved characters and changing them outright in the movies.

I didn't like the idea of Rey and Ren when I first learned about them. And there are still parts I really don't like, but I understood that if they were doing something new then they just couldn't make them twins and such so I came around to that idea. I came around to the idea the original characters needed to die off to keep moving forward. But when the only thing you really change are the characters themselves without really expanding on the lore of the series and instead just copy and paste from previous material, it just makes for poor story telling.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

There is always a bit of truth among legends. Pretty apt name they gave the old EU... 

Side note, KOTOR remains cannon. 

No it isn't, at least not yet.  The Jedi Crusaders and possibly Revan are canon, but thats only because the companion guide said there is a crusader medallion in Luke's dwelling on Ach-To.  

16 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Yes, I think it's stupid as well.  In my opinion, they could have worked movies in that took from the source material.  Harry Potter did the same thing.  They've made a ton of Jack Ryan movies and now have a TV show.  Lord of the Rings came from a huge, expansive book.  So you make a Thrawn movie that follows the plot of Zahn's original series.  Make a movie that follows the Black Fleet crisis.  Make a movie surrounding the events of the Jedi Academy trilogy.  Make a trilogy of movies around the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.  Instead, every single project was halted from the EU (except for The Old Republic) and things are instantly reset.  Novels and comics that folks such as myself who spent years reading go out the door.  It's this group that kept Star Wars going for all of those years, and Disney basically gave us the finger.  

I have another opinion besides this as to why they reset things, but it's not for this forum.  I was skeptical about things after The Force Awakens, but after how they botched The Last Jedi (it really felt like it was a DLC addition to The Force Awakens instead of a movie to stand on its own) I will just say this isn't the Star Wars that I grew up with.  

Archived