***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

17 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34081/lost-star-slams-producers-pressuring-her-strip-jj-james-barrett?amp

JJ Abrams who is so outspoken on certain subjects is being accused of this now. It wouldnt surprise me if it's TRUE. And if it is and he gets cut too, I would not feel the least bit bad for that hypocrite. 

Nope, he won't get cut.  He's a part of the club.  As long as he takes a hard stand publicly against this sort of thing, he can be guilty of it. 

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Nope, he won't get cut.  He's a part of the club.  As long as he takes a hard stand publicly against this sort of thing, he can be guilty of it. 

He also didnt likely have a direct hand in any of it. Of course he is still responsible for all things that happen on set as a exec producer, but that context matters here IMO

Just now, Deadpulse said:

He also didnt likely have a direct hand in any of it. Of course he is still responsible for all things that happen on set as a exec producer, but that context matters here IMO

Yeah he probably had nothing to do with it, it's just indicative to me that some people are above the law because of their relationships in Hollywood.  Woody Allen and Bryan Singer and Roman Polanski and a bunch of others have literally committed sex crimes.  James Gunn says insensitive things and gets fired. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah he probably had nothing to do with it, it's just indicative to me that some people are above the law because of their relationships in Hollywood.  Woody Allen and Bryan Singer and Roman Polanski and a bunch of others have literally committed sex crimes.  James Gunn says insensitive things and gets fired. 

The culture certainly needs to change. It's starting to happen, but there are going to be growing pains and knee jerk reactions. Right now we are at the point where change is happening, but only to avoid PR nightmares and not because the change needs to happen. The James Gunn situation is exactly one of those instances, especially considering the timing with the share holders meeting and the Fox deal. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

The culture certainly needs to change. It's starting to happen, but there are going to be growing pains and knee jerk reactions. Right now we are at the point where change is happening, but only to avoid PR nightmares and not because the change needs to happen. The James Gunn situation is exactly one of those instances, especially considering the timing with the share holders meeting and the Fox deal. 

I just roll my eyes w/e it's one side accusing the other of doing and yet we know that everyone does it. 

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I just roll my eyes w/e it's one side accusing the other of doing and yet we know that everyone does it. 

It makes me sick that this kind of stuff has become a partisan issue instead of a moral/ethical issue. The fracturing of our country is real but lets drop it there. Don't want to derail a Star Wars thread with politics we arent supposed to discuss anyways. 

On 8/7/2018 at 5:13 PM, Calvert28 said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34081/lost-star-slams-producers-pressuring-her-strip-jj-james-barrett?amp

JJ Abrams who is so outspoken on certain subjects is being accused of this now. It wouldnt surprise me if it's TRUE. And if it is and he gets cut too, I would not feel the least bit bad for that hypocrite. 

Half naked scenes are part of being an actor/actress though. If she felt pressured it's because she was being pressured into following the script and doing her job, not an off screen sexual act. Without knowing the full story, it's hard to feel sorry for her unless the producers were being inappropriate or otherwise untoward. 

The stuff that people get condemned over these days is getting crazy.

How big is the First Order compared to the Empire?   The Resistance is so small now and the odds of defeating them are overwhelmingly slim.  Even if they manage to kill Kylo Ren & General Putz... err I mean Hux, there’s bound to be some high ranking officer to fill that void and maintain the FO. Maybe the call for help that Leia sent out in TLJ will finally be answered with impressive numbers.   

I’m curious to see how Abrams wraps this up in one issue.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 4:11 PM, thrILL! said:

How big is the First Order compared to the Empire?   The Resistance is so small now and the odds of defeating them are overwhelmingly slim.  Even if they manage to kill Kylo Ren & General Putz... err I mean Hux, there’s bound to be some high ranking officer to fill that void and maintain the FO. Maybe the call for help that Leia sent out in TLJ will finally be answered with impressive numbers.   

I’m curious to see how Abrams wraps this up in one issue.  

Its a long-ish read, but good background information from the new Expanded Universe about the rise of the First Order- http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Order

While nothing ever explicitly answers your question, they desired to be more technologically advanced compared to the Empire, which explains Starkiller Base, the massive size of Snoke's Star Destroyer compared to Super Star Destroyers and the technology to pursue the Resistance through hyperspace.  It's safe to say as an "invading force" they might not be as big as the Empire was, but the Republic cut their military size after the defeat of the Empire, so it was easy for them to destroy the Republic's capital and get them out of the way.  That eliminated most of the backers for the Resistance, as they were former colleagues of Leia in the Senate.  

So the big plot timejump is going to be what happens to the Resistance after the end of The Last Jedi to the start of Episode 9.  While there is no Republic anymore, there are local planetary defense systems who could join the Resistance and lend their shipyards and personnel to their war effort.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Its a long-ish read, but good background information from the new Expanded Universe about the rise of the First Order- http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Order

While nothing ever explicitly answers your question, they desired to be more technologically advanced compared to the Empire, which explains Starkiller Base, the massive size of Snoke's Star Destroyer compared to Super Star Destroyers and the technology to pursue the Resistance through hyperspace.  It's safe to say as an "invading force" they might not be as big as the Empire was, but the Republic cut their military size after the defeat of the Empire, so it was easy for them to destroy the Republic's capital and get them out of the way.  That eliminated most of the backers for the Resistance, as they were former colleagues of Leia in the Senate.  

So the big plot timejump is going to be what happens to the Resistance after the end of The Last Jedi to the start of Episode 9.  While there is no Republic anymore, there are local planetary defense systems who could join the Resistance and lend their shipyards and personnel to their war effort.  

New Expanded Universe? Has Disney approved this?

Archived