2024 "Kick The Door Down" Off-Season

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is no sweat.  It is good to have these discussions.  I love the story of someone like Quan'Tez Stiggers.

It's a great story and I hope that the kid becomes a Lion and balls out. 

I also am cheering for Betts. He's an older prospect so it'd be cool for him to get his opportunity and make some money while contributing to a winning environment. 

I agree a lot with what Karnage has said.  Stiggers is fun but it reminds me of Chris Greenwood hype and will be tough for him to make it.  I am all about taking a shot on him, but I agree it will not be that early.  

I love a few of the players drafted like Kiran and Kyhree but they are drafted a little higher than what I would probably want to draft them.  But wouldn't be mad if they end up on our team. 

James Williams is interesting to me because LB is one of our lesser needs on defense and drafting a guy who wasn't a LB to play LB is risky so the combination of lack of need and high risk make this a rough pick for me.  

I see you mentioned ignoring edge after signing Armstrong which is ok but you also ignored DT which I think is one of the biggest holes on our roster.  I get we want more out of Levi and Martin but the lack of interior pressure hurt our edges since the QBs had a pocket to step up into.  I might use that 3rd round pick from Williams on a DT to add to the depth chart and give the staff another young talent to try and find some production from.  I just really hope we attack DT a little more than this and wouldn't mind adding another edge since we lost the Okwara's and Harris.  If they make Houston bulk up a little and stay at DE it might be a little easier to take but either way we need more potential at that position IMO. 

I don't mind drafting a second OL that early in Puni.  I would plan on Kiran starting at RG/LG and then having Puni back up both guard and C spots.  Pretty much taking over the Glasnow role next year.  I think planning for the future and giving the OL a year to develop before forcing them to start will be huge for the continued success of our OL.  

I love Karty and took him in mine.  I think he will be a solid K and give us some stability at the position for cheap for a few years.  

I also think we need to spend a little more attention on WR.  This puts a lot of faith on back to back 7th round picks and DPJ stepping into decent sized roles. I am not sure I trust that as our options after ARSB and an improving Jamo.  I don't think spending big on WR is important but would prefer something a little more proven than DPJ as our biggest move there. 

Overall I do think that this is going to be the type of offseason we will have.  No super high priced free agents and no long term deals but solid guys who fit what we need while drafting some youth to fill in the gaps and depth. It will be one of those drafts that people aren't happy with at the time but hopefully would provide a lot of production.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree a lot with what Karnage has said.  Stiggers is fun but it reminds me of Chris Greenwood hype and will be tough for him to make it.  I am all about taking a shot on him, but I agree it will not be that early.  

I love a few of the players drafted like Kiran and Kyhree but they are drafted a little higher than what I would probably want to draft them.  But wouldn't be mad if they end up on our team. 

James Williams is interesting to me because LB is one of our lesser needs on defense and drafting a guy who wasn't a LB to play LB is risky so the combination of lack of need and high risk make this a rough pick for me.  

I see you mentioned ignoring edge after signing Armstrong which is ok but you also ignored DT which I think is one of the biggest holes on our roster.  I get we want more out of Levi and Martin but the lack of interior pressure hurt our edges since the QBs had a pocket to step up into.  I might use that 3rd round pick from Williams on a DT to add to the depth chart and give the staff another young talent to try and find some production from.  I just really hope we attack DT a little more than this and wouldn't mind adding another edge since we lost the Okwara's and Harris.  If they make Houston bulk up a little and stay at DE it might be a little easier to take but either way we need more potential at that position IMO. 

I don't mind drafting a second OL that early in Puni.  I would plan on Kiran starting at RG/LG and then having Puni back up both guard and C spots.  Pretty much taking over the Glasnow role next year.  I think planning for the future and giving the OL a year to develop before forcing them to start will be huge for the continued success of our OL.  

I love Karty and took him in mine.  I think he will be a solid K and give us some stability at the position for cheap for a few years.  

I also think we need to spend a little more attention on WR.  This puts a lot of faith on back to back 7th round picks and DPJ stepping into decent sized roles. I am not sure I trust that as our options after ARSB and an improving Jamo.  I don't think spending big on WR is important but would prefer something a little more proven than DPJ as our biggest move there. 

Overall I do think that this is going to be the type of offseason we will have.  No super high priced free agents and no long term deals but solid guys who fit what we need while drafting some youth to fill in the gaps and depth. It will be one of those drafts that people aren't happy with at the time but hopefully would provide a lot of production.  

I was light on the D-Line because I think the Lions may want to see what they have with respect to disruption and pass-rush ability now that we have a much better D-Line Coach.

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was light on the D-Line because I think the Lions may want to see what they have with respect to disruption and pass-rush ability now that we have a much better D-Line Coach.

We think we have a better D Line coach.  We still don't have a lot of talent there.  Not saying we need a ton, but would like to see one or two more young guys added, especially at DT. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We think we have a better D Line coach.  We still don't have a lot of talent there.  Not saying we need a ton, but would like to see one or two more young guys added, especially at DT. 

The dropoff from Todd Wash to John Scott Jr was noticeable.  The quality of play that we were getting seemed to regress for a good chunk of  the year.  Terrell Williams has a very good track record.  He should make a big difference with our D-Line

Edited by Just Want A Title

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The dropoff from Todd Wash to John Scott Jr was noticeable.  The quality of play that we were getting seemed to regress for  good chunk of  the year.  Terrell Williams has a very good track record.  He should make a big difference with our D-Line

He should be an upgrade, but the decline in sack production this year seemed more to do with the injury to Houston than anything.  Hutch, Paschal and McNeil all played better this year than they did last year.  Buggs played better in 2022 as well and not sure if that was coaching or off the field stuff. We are hoping that a guy will come in and squeeze more talent out of our DL but he needs potential to be able to squeeze talent out of.  And when our depth is John Cominsky, Benito Jones, and a super raw rookie NT from a small school, there isn't much to tap into.  I just can't be comfortable going into a season knowing we had a hole at DT and doing nothing to fix it other than hoping our guys play better.  Coaching helps for sure, but you need more than that.  

I’m of the opinion if you need a player at a position, say LB, draft one. Drafting a S to transition and learn the skills others already have increases bust risk. 

I find the mock is trying to be to outside the box. 

Edited by diehardlionfan

9 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m of the opinion if you need a player at a position, say LB, draft one. Drafting a S to transition and learn the skills others already have increases bust risk. 

I find the mock is trying to be to outside the box. 

James Williams made the switch to LB during the Senior Bowl practice week.  It wasn't mandated by any teams.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He should be an upgrade, but the decline in sack production this year seemed more to do with the injury to Houston than anything.  Hutch, Paschal and McNeil all played better this year than they did last year.  Buggs played better in 2022 as well and not sure if that was coaching or off the field stuff. We are hoping that a guy will come in and squeeze more talent out of our DL but he needs potential to be able to squeeze talent out of.  And when our depth is John Cominsky, Benito Jones, and a super raw rookie NT from a small school, there isn't much to tap into.  I just can't be comfortable going into a season knowing we had a hole at DT and doing nothing to fix it other than hoping our guys play better.  Coaching helps for sure, but you need more than that.  

We will have to agree to disagree on this.  I watched Aidan Hutchinson get out of control running himself out of too many plays and and his only counter be his spin-move which he also had in his rookie season.  He was that way for the entire first half of the season.  If you watched the Lions D-Lineman, every single one of them were horrible with their hand usage.  They didn't get better at shedding blocks until late in the year.  They were basically coached to play like 3-4 NTs--occupy the blocker and clog lanes.  How many times did we see them not even bother to get an arm or a hand even when they were right next the QB?  A lot.  This grouped was coached out of finishing plays and converting sacks into pressures for a large chunk of the year.

27 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this.  I watched Aidan Hutchinson get out of control running himself out of too many plays and and his only counter be his spin-move which he also had in his rookie season.  He was that way for the entire first half of the season.  If you watched the Lions D-Lineman, every single one of them were horrible with their hand usage.  They didn't get better at shedding blocks until late in the year.  They were basically coached to play like 3-4 NTs--occupy the blocker and clog lanes.  How many times did we see them not even bother to get an arm or a hand even when they were right next the QB?  A lot.  This grouped was coached out of finishing plays and converting sacks into pressures for a large chunk of the year.

I watched Hutch finish 2nd in the league in pressures, play the run significantly better, and finish as the 8th highest graded DE in the league per PFF.  As for not finishing, the lack of pressure from the other side and up the middle gave QBs plenty of options.  I did watch Alim McNeil play well enough to be the 7th rated DT in the league and set a career high in sacks by more than double his previous career high.  I saw Josh Paschal get better as the year progressed but he still had flaws.  The reason the team struggled to get sacks is because Benito Jones, John Cominsky, the Okwara brothers and Charles Harris just aren't that talented.  Sure we can hope for some more growth from our D LIne, but blaming a coach and expecting all to be right in the world with someone who likely is better but new situations always impact that is a crazy choice IMO.  In that same reasoning, why add anyone to the CB room when we got a better coach there?  Why not just hope that Deshea Townsend turns around Kindle Vildor and Kerby Joseph?  You still need talent, and although I expect DC to make moves to improve, they don't always work out how you thought.  Just like we hoped Dre Bly was an upgrade at DB coach and John Fox would help the defense as a whole.  Yes we got better but we didn't get the guy who created TJ Watt.  

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL is not playing on Christmas this coming season so there should be an alternate broadcast of the Lions Thanksgiving game on Nick as CBS holds the rights this season.

The opponent should be the Rams since they have the longest active Thanksgiving drought not having appeared since 1975. The third match-up of Stafford and Goff since the trade makes it very appealing.

The first ever Nicksgiving game should have Lynn Loud Jr. from The Loud House in the booth since the show is set in the Detroit area and she is the character that is into sports, even being a fan of a fictional version of the Lions.

It would also make up for the Lions coming just short of appearing in the first Nick-aired Super Bowl.

Edited by pf9

???

4 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The NFL is not playing on Christmas this coming season so there should be an alternate broadcast of the Lions Thanksgiving game on Nick as CBS holds the rights this season.

The opponent should be the Rams since they have the longest active Thanksgiving drought not having appeared since 1975. The third match-up of Stafford and Goff since the trade makes it very appealing.

The first ever Nicksgiving game should have Lynn Loud Jr. from The Loud House in the booth since the show is set in the Detroit area and she is the character that is into sports, even being a fan of a fictional version of the Lions.

It would also make up for the Lions coming just short of appearing in the first Nick-aired Super Bowl.