Franchise Tag - Justin Madubuike - New Deal 4 yrs $98 million

This signing makes me nervous. Not gonna lie. If he plays like 2023 onward, it’s worth it. But I just think even a regression to a 6-8 sack guy would be very disappointing with these numbers.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:50 AM, diamondbull424 said:

This signing makes me nervous. Not gonna lie. If he plays like 2023 onward, it’s worth it. But I just think even a regression to a 6-8 sack guy would be very disappointing with these numbers.

I don't think we have much to be concerned about, there's nothing about his trajectory or profile that would indicate 23' was some fraudulent display. 

Buike was destroying All-Pro guards when he first entered the league and has an elite athletic profile that gave him a higher ceiling than most. It's not a shock that he found more consistency and impact as an interior rush when 1. Our primary interior rusher(Calais) departed in FA  2. We added a pass rush guru to the coaching staff and 3. Mike McDonald put him in position to succeed. 

He's always had the motor and elite athleticism, but now he has a deep arsenal of technique as well. Guys like that don't tend to regress, they usually get better.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

Check his win rate it's not good, but if it helps to build around oweh sure.

His base win rate isn't crazy but his win rate, grade, and production on true pass sets(Removing PA, RPO, Screens, BoQ, etc) is excellent- which is what we want. 

It's smart to be hyper critical of players you're investing a lot in, but retaining Madubuike doesn't really bring me much concern. He's been a key asset ever since we drafted him and when he became "The Guy" at DI for us, he produced at an elite level. Having done all that damage as a 25 YO last season I'm excited to see how he continues to evolve his game.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

It's smart to be hyper critical of players you're investing a lot in, but retaining Madubuike doesn't really bring me much concern. He's been a key asset ever since we drafted him and when he became "The Guy" at DI for us, he produced at an elite level. Having done all that damage as a 25 YO last season I'm excited to see how he continues to evolve his game.

Check his double team rate compared to the best at DI, but like I said if it help build around oweh sure

18 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why in the world would we build around Oweh and not Madubuike?

He's turning into that guy 

2 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

He's turning into that guy 

Are we talking about the same Odafe Oweh or is there another one I'm not aware of?

The same Odafe Oweh who has never eclipsed 5 sacks in a season?

The same Odafe Oweh who had TWO QB hurries last year?

The same Odafe Oweh who had SEVEN QB pressures last year?

The guy was our 3rd best EDGE rusher last year, behind 2 street free agents.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Are we talking about the same Odafe Oweh or is there another one I'm not aware of?

The same Odafe Oweh who has never eclipsed 5 sacks in a season?

The same Odafe Oweh who had TWO QB hurries last year?

The same Odafe Oweh who had SEVEN QB pressures last year?

The guy was our 3rd best EDGE rusher last year, behind 2 street free agents.

Are we watching two different Oweh's? Cause I'm pretty sure he had like 50 pressures last year lol.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

PFR charted him for 7.

7... bro, that would be awful. Oweh actually had a good year despite missing time. 5 Sacks, 51 pressures, and strong metrics behind him. I wouldn't call him a franchise rusher or anything yet, but it was a definitely a year of improvement for him. Chuck Smith had those boys hunting.

11 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

7... bro, that would be awful. Oweh actually had a good year despite missing time. 5 Sacks, 51 pressures, and strong metrics behind him. I wouldn't call him a franchise rusher or anything yet, but it was a definitely a year of improvement for him. Chuck Smith had those boys hunting.

Sorry, PFR charted him with 15 QB pressures.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OwehJa00.htm

Not sure where that dude is getting 43 from.

27 rookie year

16 last year 

15 this year

and his snap counts have decreased every single year.

Point being - he ain't that guy and even the team knows it.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

18 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Sorry, PFR charted him with 15 QB pressures.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OwehJa00.htm

Not sure where that dude is getting 43 from.

27 rookie year

16 last year 

15 this year

and his snap counts have decreased every single year.

Point being - he ain't that guy and even the team knows it.

Then why are they gonna pick up his 5th year option? Also you're drunk if you think Oweh didn't excel as a rotational edge last year.

Also his snap count increased from 2021 to 2022 he just played a lesser overall amount % wise.

2023 can be blamed on injuries since he missed 4 games.

12 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Then why are they gonna pick up his 5th year option?

Are they?

Also you're drunk if you think Oweh didn't excel as a rotational edge last year.

Guess that depends on your definition of "excel". I thought he was pretty mediocre.

Also his snap count increased from 2021 to 2022 he just played a lesser overall amount % wise.

2023 can be blamed on injuries since he missed 4 games.

Fair.