Franchise Tag - Justin Madubuike - New Deal 4 yrs $98 million

I think it's the right move. Can't gamble on replicating the kind of production Justin gave the team last year. I mean, it kind of is a gamble on expecting him to have that kind of production again but it's the kind the team has to make. I'm hoping for both sides of the trenches to be significantly invested in. 

I’m not sure why everyone I’ve read has this as like a done deal for him being back next season. Teams have traded away franchise tender players before.

I’m not saying we will, but the cupboard at DT isn’t bare. We could afford to trade Mads and still have an improving Travis Jones that could be ready to break out, Broderick Washington who has played well enough to earn a deal, and Michael Pierce. A 2nd day pick on a T’Vondre Sweat or Braden Fisk (insert similar caliber prospect) would give us a very capable unit.

Conversely the team saving $22m and adding serious draft capital could make sense. This might be a situation where we could sell high. Could we get Frank Clark type value for him, something like 1st, 2nd, 3rd in exchange for Mads and a 3rd?… or something in the ballpark but a bit less like 1st and 3rd?

If we get offered something like that I think we have to strongly consider it IMO especially if Mads wants the ultimate bag.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m not sure why everyone I’ve read has this as like a done deal for him being back next season. Teams have traded away franchise tender players before.

I’m not saying we will, but the cupboard at DT isn’t bare. We could afford to trade Mads and still have an improving Travis Jones that could be ready to break out, Broderick Washington who has played well enough to earn a deal, and Michael Pierce. A 2nd day pick on a T’Vondre Sweat or Braden Fisk (insert similar caliber prospect) would give us a very capable unit.

Conversely the team saving $22m and adding serious draft capital could make sense. This might be a situation where we could sell high. Could we get Frank Clark type value for him, something like 1st, 2nd, 3rd in exchange for Mads and a 3rd?… or something in the ballpark but a bit less like 1st and 3rd?

If we get offered something like that I think we have to strongly consider it IMO especially if Mads wants the ultimate bag.

1st and a 3rd would be very nice.

But we do not have a ton of good pass rush outside of Madibiuke considering all of our edge rushers are walking out the door. 

11 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

1st and a 3rd is a no-brainer IMO but I doubt someone offers that.

I'd love to see him stick around and I think he will. It just really puts us in the mud cap wise until we can get something done. 

I don't want the team to make many splashes in FA. I'd like to see Henry come in and possibly a CB like Xavien Howard (we've showed interest in the past). Again, it all comes down to price and cuts and restructures. I can't see Justin being on the team with that cap hit. He'll either be signed or traded. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'd love to see him stick around and I think he will. It just really puts us in the mud cap wise until we can get something done. 

I don't want the team to make many splashes in FA. I'd like to see Henry come in and possibly a CB like Xavien Howard (we've showed interest in the past). Again, it all comes down to price and cuts and restructures. I can't see Justin being on the team with that cap hit. He'll either be signed or traded. 

Agreed. For me if Madubuike had done this two years in a row, it’d be easier for me to want the team to invest huge dollars in him.

But as it stands, the potential buyers remorse could be huge. He just doesn’t have the kind of leadership profile that makes me entirely confident that he’s going to be a double digit sack guy for seasons into the future. I also would be more comfortable if Mads was equally a dominant pass rusher as a run stopper as well.

It’s just hard for me to want to invest that kind of cap when I look at Mads and see someone that I don’t know if I would even say was a top 5 defensive player on the Ravens last season. I’d probably have it shake out as something like:

Kyle Hamilton, Roquan Smith, Patrick Queen, and Jadeveon Clowney. I’d have all four of these options ahead of Madubuike.

But then I’d consider Kyle Van Noy and maybe Brandon Stephens right around Madubuike prior to the playoffs.

Stephens felt like a lockdown corner at moments and KVN started late and nearly hit double digit sacks and seemed to make plays when the defense needed it most more than any other defender did.

So idk while someone could argue to me that Mads was our 3rd best defensive player, I could just as easily see someone else arguing he was actually our 7th best defensive player.

The reality is likely somewhere in between and he was our 5th best defensive player, 3rd best considering the losses of Queen and Clowney… but the fact that he wasn’t a clear cut top 3 defensive player on our defense, it’s hard for me to want to commit highly.

I’m hopeful we can get a great deal for Mads, but if we can’t, I would hope that we can get a great trade of him for a 1st round pick and some change. And I can’t help but feel that’s the direction we’re headed into.

The Ravens 2020 draft that was largely derided as a black mark on EDC's draft acuity as recently as last offseason:

-Justin Madubuike (All Pro DT, just got a bag)
-Patrick Queen (All Pro ILB this year, about to get a bag)
-Geno Stone (7th round safety who had 7 INTs last year)
-Broderick Washington (Got a 2nd deal from Ravens last offseason, nothing special but solid)
-JK Dobbins (Was great when healthy but always hurt)
-Devin Duvernay (All Pro KR/PR)
-Malik Harrison (Really solid rotational ILB/OLB)

Yeah EDC is flexing on the haters rn

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Boom

Great news. 

This deal will look great as the cap continues to increase and really screws the Chiefs a bit with Chris Jones deal coming up. Glad to have him stay. 

I'd look for a Lamar restructure soon as it will make 11 million in cap. I can see Bowser being cut, saving us 5 Million. Still leaves us tight against the cap because as I understand it, we so need around 10 million to sign the rookie class according for McFarlane. 

We could see some familiar faces leaving Baltimore if they don't want to take pay cuts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Great news. 

This deal will look great as the cap continues to increase and really screws the Chiefs a bit with Chris Jones deal coming up. Glad to have him stay. 

I'd look for a Lamar restructure soon as it will make 11 million in cap. I can see Bowser being cut, saving us 5 Million. Still leaves us tight against the cap because as I understand it, we so need around 10 million to sign the rookie class according for McFarlane. 

We could see some familiar faces leaving Baltimore if they don't want to take pay cuts. 

Yeah Bowser's as good as gone. Good riddance. 

I could see EDC asking Moses to take a paycut. Maybe a Ricard paycut or extension. Marlon's deal you can't really touch unfortunately. 

At this point I'd like to see Clowney resigned (or KVN if Clowney is too expensive), Darby resigned (thought he looked great on the outside last year), some sort of RB brought in who and then head to the draft to go get OL, CB, and EDGE help. Darkhorse position could be an ILB taken first 3 rounds if the value is too good to pass up, or maybe even OG. Wouldn't be terribly shocked if a really good IOL falls in the first and they take him to match with Linderbaum and Cleveland/Vorhees to keep the interior OL stout while the T situation is fluid.